Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone have low vitamin D levels?

@Carmiewrote:

I'm getting surgery soon and needed blood tests first. Everything was good, except my vitamin D levels. It was dangerously low.

i have a RX for 50,000 units that I must take for seven days, then an over the counter brand of 5000 units forever or until I test at a good level.

The doctor said most older folks do not get enough sunshine in the winter months and their vitamin d levels drop. This causes many health related problems. Hair loss is one. Yikes! She said she tests everyone who is older and most are deficient.

I guess things could have been worse. I was never tested for this before. I wonder it's a commonly performed test.

I have been notoriously known for having low levels of Vitamin D. I have been put on large doses many times and was advised to keep up with my daily supplement since I don't eat a lot of food fortified with Vitamin D. Milk, Orange Juice and the like (I don't care for). I do like Milk but I don't have it every day and I'm not fond of orange juice.

Since I don't like the sun too much either, it's always hard for me to keep my levels up without supplementing. I now take 2,000 per day, along with calcium, and a magnesium supplement.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

I make a point of sitting out in the sun 10-15 min a day.

@Kachina624You need to have at least a half hour of sunshine per day on your arms and face in order to reap the benefits of Vitamin D directly from the sun. You should have your levels checked if you don't eat food that contains Vitamin D because you're not getting enough from the Sun.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudeclosetThanks, I have been checked and am fine.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Catty2wrote:

Once a week I take a 50,000 mg dose of Vitamin D. My dr. prescribes it and it's cheaper than getting it over the counter.

@Catty2

Typically, that's the way doctors prescribe it when you are extremely low. They will have you take this large dose to get you up, then you can maintain with about 2,000+ OTC.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

@gertrudeclosetThanks, I have been checked and am fine.

That's what's most important. I always have to check @Kachina624 because I don't even get 10-15 minutes of sun each day like you do!!! Excellent!!!

Honored Contributor

@gertrudeclosetI live in the sun belt with over 300 days of sunshine a year, at an altitude of about 6,000 ft where the sun is more intense.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

@gertrudeclosetI live in the sun belt with over 300 days of sunshine a year, at an altitude of about 6,000 ft where the sun is more intense.

@Kachina624

My bad. I forget you're in New Mexico and not New York! LOL. Beautiful State.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

You should request a vitamin D3-hydroxy test at least once a year.  It's probably the most important vitamin in terms of keeping you healthy from disease.  The 50,000 IU protocol is vitamin D2, which is not what you need.  It's a decades old protocol. 

Vitamin D3 must be taken with its co-factors -- vitamin K2, magnesium, and vitamin A.  You can google "Vitamin D3 and co-factors" for the explanation as to why this is absolutely necessary.

I would suggest anyone who wants to supplement correctly join the facebook forum "Vitamin D Wellness" where you can learn how to supplement and which are the best brands.  After following their recommendations, I was able to increase my Vitamin D3 level from a measly 37 ng/mL to 78 ng/mL within a few months, and I felt significantly better.  This is without sun.  Btw, it isn't good enough to be "within Reference Range".  You need to be near the upper end of the Reference Range.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

It's as simple as taking a multivitamin every day. 

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

My Vitamin D levels are also very low as well.  I can't take Vitamin D supplements as it causes my face to turn red - rosacea like.

It's the same as fatty fish which is loaded with vitamin D like salmon, tuna, etc.  My face gets red, rosacea like.

I gave up on it.  I recently fractured my ankle after a trip and recovered just fine like any youngster would time wise.  Guess I drank enough milk as a child. lol.