Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone have low vitamin D levels?

I also had very low levels of Vit.D. I now take 5000 IU daily and 50,000 IU once a week. Problem solved.

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabeThank you for your prayers.

I have not been vaccinated for COVID and I didn't get it, my DH had it with no symptoms. He tested positive before a colonoscopy. We sleep in the same bed.

i never get sick, I heal fast and have no other problems. I have gained some weight and struggled to get it off...I lost 29 lbs since Sept. Weight gain is a symptom....I guess it wasn't the chocolate I ate.

I can't walk very well or very far. My right knee is really bad. I don't go out much anymore.

Super Contributor

@BalletBabe; Oops - you may want to edit the next to last line in your post.

Honored Contributor

@rockygems123My level was 12. This was the first time I was tested. I am fortunate that I know now and can take care of it. I wasn't aware of testing or that it could be a problem. The doctor was on the ball.

Thankfully, you were tested as well and are taking care of it.

Honored Contributor

I complained about extreme fatigue at one of my Physicals and the Dr. sent me off for heart tests, but also took bloodwork which determined my D was low. My thyroid could be the issue. He put me on the 50000 IU for 3 months and then took me off. That seems to be the common protocol. But, the fatigue returned even after I doubled up on my 4,000 IU per day OTC D. So, he put me back on the 50,0000 IU plus my OTC 4,000 IU daily except on the day I take the 50,000 IU's and that keeps me where I need to be.

-

As far as sun goes, I only wear sunscreen when I know I'm going to be outside. I work in the yard a lot in summer and I never re-apply. I also fight the farmer tan, so I know I'm getting plenty of sun exposure, at least in summer.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie

My low B12 and Vit D levels were found 2 weeks AFTER my first knee surgery. Shots raised my B12 and prescription strength Vit D worked to get me where I needed to be. You will feel a difference once your levels reach a normal range. Best wishes to you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been testing for it regularly for years and since Covid I have made sure that my levels are over 60. Good levels of Vitamin D help the body to build a good immune system. Vitamin D helps to build strong bones, fight viruses and depression among other things for good health.

Since I have been aware of this I have tried to maintain good levels and I have not had a virus of any kind for three years, not even a cold.

Good luck with your surgery.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie

Was low years ago during in hospital stay for 7+ days with Cellulitis. Doctor thinks the several different IV Antibiotics were the cause. Same 50,000 RX as you for 10 days. Been taking 2,000mg twice a day of D3, and readings have been good since.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Mine is low according to my Doctor because of a medication I take. So now I take an over the counter Vitamin D gel tablet, after taking the large dose for a week. This has been working good for my levels now and I do get out in the sun whenever we have any!

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmiewrote:

@BalletBabeThank you for your prayers.

I have not been vaccinated for COVID and I didn't get it, my DH had it with no symptoms. He tested positive before a colonoscopy. We sleep in the same bed.

i never get sick, I heal fast and have no other problems. I have gained some weight and struggled to get it off...I lost 29 lbs since Sept. Weight gain is a symptom....I guess it wasn't the chocolate I ate.

I can't walk very well or very far. My right knee is really bad. I don't go out much anymore.

@CarmieWow your lucky you didn't get it. It is hard when it is cold. Here in Florida I can go out anytime unless we are in the middle of a Hurricane. LOL I never had low levels of Vit D but I do take a supplement of D3. I figure it can't hurt. Keep us posted as to your recovery!!