Super Contributor

Re: Anyone have experience with torn meniscus in knee?

A number of years ago, I went to an ortho with knee pain. An MRI was done and he announced that I had a couple of meniscal tears that would require arthro surgery. I wanted a second opinion and glad I did. The second ortho laughed and said most everyone gets meniscal tears starting as early as their mid-20s, so it's not necessarily as ominous as some docs (the surgery-happy docs, that is) make it sound. He said the most important factor in whether a meniscal tear can heal on its own is its size, location, and direction. For example, the meniscus is shaped like an oval doughnut. The outside of the doughnut gets good blood supply in the knee, so generally, a tear on the outside of the meniscus will be able to heal much better on its own than a tear on the inside rim of the meniscus. It's important to get an MRI, which will give the best detail of these factors.

My ortho said I could absolutely rehab my knee with PT, which is what I did. I continue to do knee-strengthening exercises to avoid future problems. JMO, but I would always look for an alternative to surgery if at all possible.

Super Contributor

I tore mine (left inner knee) playing golf approx 2 years ago.

Went to Ortho Doc & he said that since I have approx 20% cartilage left on that side that it was silly to do surgery, since I would still have pain due to the Osteoarthritis of the joint.

It took approx 1 1/2 years to heal, but I've gotten great relief from Hyalgan Hyloric Acid shots. It fills in the area & makes it feel so much better.

Almost anyone gets a tear, but unless your still relatively young with No Osteoarthritis in that same joint, most Docs won't go in & do arthroscopic repairs.

Honored Contributor

I have not read all posts, but this is my story......about 12 years ago, my knee started swelling and I felt a clicking in my knee. It was also very painful. X-rays were done, showed nothing, and I was given muscle relaxants and pain meds. My knee kept hurting, the swelling did not disappear, so an MRI was done. It showed I had a torn meniscus. My surgeon gave me the option of surgery to repair or if I could stand the pain to live with the it. I'm an active person, and it was limiting activities, so I had orthoscopic surgery. It was not a breeze. Maybe because of my age, late 50's. Long story short, I did 6 weeks PT, and I have not had any trouble since. I am careful with bending or kneeling. I guess you'll have to decide if you can live with the tears; it's my understanding, they will not heal on their own. Good luck.
~H~
Respected Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Helen47 said: I have not read all posts, but this is my story......about 12 years ago, my knee started swelling and I felt a clicking in my knee. It was also very painful. X-rays were done, showed nothing, and I was given muscle relaxants and pain meds. My knee kept hurting, the swelling did not disappear, so an MRI was done. It showed I had a torn meniscus. My surgeon gave me the option of surgery to repair or if I could stand the pain to live with the it. I'm an active person, and it was limiting activities, so I had orthoscopic surgery. It was not a breeze. Maybe because of my age, late 50's. Long story short, I did 6 weeks PT, and I have not had any trouble since. I am careful with bending or kneeling. I guess you'll have to decide if you can live with the tears; it's my understanding, they will not heal on their own. Good luck.

Exactly! I agree. The only difference with me is that my ortho said that in P.T. they would work with quads exercises as that's the only thing to help in postop. He showed me the exercises and gave me a pamphlet and said if you are disciplined enough to do it with some cans or light weights and a chair, go for it. He also told me to avoid impact activities at all costs.

They do not heal on their own. It just depends on what your body can tolerate as far as pain and activity. Everyone is different.

My knee continues to give aches. Is it better than the 2 months I suffered - ABSOLUTELY!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks so much and I have been given a lot of information here. I will be having the MRI then discuss what to to. I am interested in possible trying the shots wenfen had. I am 60,my health is fair as my RA is progressing and I will try anything before surgery.I was told I need spine surgery too but not a good candidate so it may be therapy and shots.Thanks so much for everyones input and I had no idea how common this issue is.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Super Contributor

On 1/9/2015 beauty junkie said:

Thanks so much and I have been given a lot of information here. I will be having the MRI then discuss what to to. I am interested in possible trying the shots wenfen had. I am 60,my health is fair as my RA is progressing and I will try anything before surgery.I was told I need spine surgery too but not a good candidate so it may be therapy and shots.Thanks so much for everyones input and I had no idea how common this issue is.

I sure hope the Hyalgan shots work for you. They're worth a try & you might be able to put off surgery until they come up with something better.

I'm holding off for cartilage/stem cell injections. They're experimental now & not covered by insurance, but the Doc told me the longer I hold off, the better the treatments will be available...He doesn't like doing replacements either & he's the Best Doc in the East!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}