Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have experience with Spinal Stenosis & the treatment for it?

@lindseyemmieMy SO has spinal stenosis, slight scoliosis and arthritis.  Several years ago he had minimally invasive laser surgery for the stenosis which gave him relief for several years but due to the other issues still has pain and more stenosis now.  His sister has it and she had the surgery from the same doctor and she has no pain at all.  Don't go to one of those mass minimally invasive laser surgery places but find a reputable doctor.  It is just an overnight stay with no real recovery - up and walking a few hours after the surgery.  

Honored Contributor

I see the commerecials for severe back pain but since I don't have that issue, kind of ignore it.  However, I think it's a laser procedure and supposedly it's only a one inch incision and quick recovery--Laser Pain Institute??  I would not subject an elderly person to any sort of non-life threatening surgery.

Esteemed Contributor

If this advice came from a Neurosurg or Ortho, then is just that.  A good second step is to go Pain Mgmt for shots.  Physical Therapy is also a must.

Too often medications are overlooked.  With his current Drs approval, some combination of NASIDs, seizure meds, antidepressants or muscle relaxants can do wonders.  A neurologist or internal med dr can help.  Might take a while to get the right combo.

If all else fails, a heating pad is comforting.

Valued Contributor

My husband is older than that with severe spinal stenosis and arthritis.  It has been over a year now and we have tried everything.  PT, chiropractors, meds, and injections. Nothing has helped.  He has no pain when sitting or laying.  His cardiologist prescribed a narcotic to ease the pain but husband will only take it if he tries to do work outside.  None of his doctors have advised surgery because of his age.  Laser surgery is not paid by insurance and the reviews are not good.  His nephew went to a pain management  clinic where the spine is stretched.  This is also not covered by insurance and costs upwards of $9000-$10,000.  My husband feels better when he moves more, but he has other medical issues right now that we deal with.  Just stay away from surgery.

Honored Contributor

@LIPearl wrote:

I have both as well as a number of other medical problems.  Even in my 50’s, I was advised not to have surgery by Columbia University as it could leave me in worse shape.  My Dad was in his mid 80’s when he fell & broke his neck.  He survived 6 hours of surgery only to pass away 3 months later in rehab from pneumonia.  I suggest he get a second opinion from a large teaching hospital.  At age 80, I would imagine the healing process would be lengthiy.  Good luck & God bless him.

@lindseyemmie.  I have SS, arthritis in my back and problems with some disks.  I have seen four neurosurgeons including the head of the department at the UNM.  All have said surgery would not improve my condition and they wouldn't recommend it.  One told me surgery would only help those with pain radiating down their legs.  I don't have that.  My sister did, she had surgery and it did help her.

I'm surprised with all your dad's serious problems and age that they'd recommend surgery.  I suggest he get a second opinion.

I've fought this condition over 25 years, have tried virtually every "cure" suggested to me; medications and treatments and nothing has helped.  I do have a mobility scooter whilch enables me to do many things I ordinarily couldn't do.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

From the bottom of my heart I thank everyone here that shared their experiences with me. It is so heart warming to find so many loving, caring people. I am devastated watching my father be in so much pain & have no quality of life. You all have brighten my day & made me smile. I will pass all the information on to my dad. Maybe with all your help we can find ways to help him without surgery. Thank you again. Much hugs & love to everyone.  

Respected Contributor

My father was dealing with this when he was in his late 70's to 80yrs old....my grandfather also had it but later in life...around 90 by age 92 he was in so much pain he could no longer do anything.  Both were put on pain medication to help manage it.  It seemed to help my grandfather.  My Dad had a fentanyl patch plus narco pills to take and it still wasn't enough for pain relief.  He did physical therapy and all that but it just didn't help with the pain.  He also fell and ended up fracturing his spine.  

I couldn't imagine either going to a chiropractor as bones at this age are VERY weak and fragile...twisting the spine in a lower back adjustment as they do would be so dangerous and could lead to more serious injury.  NO WAY would I recommend that and I have done chiropractic adjustments many times in my life but stopped as they weren't helping me at all any longer....plus now I have osteopenia and will not risk that.