Regular Contributor

Anyone have experience with Spinal Stenosis & the treatment for it?

My 80 year old father had an MRI & has been told he needs extensive back surgery for Spinal Stenosis & Degenerative Disk Desease. At this point he can't walk without the aid of crutches or a walker. He does not want to go through surgery due to his age, previous prostate cancer & heart problems that require him to be on blood thinners. If anyone here has experience with Spinal Stenosis & Degenerative Disk Desease would you please share with me what you have done to get back some quality of life without surgery. I'm not asking for medical advice. I know that is the doctors job. I'd just like to hear alternative options, such as supplements or Physical Therapy, that may of helped. Thank you in advance for anything you're willing to share with me. Hugs

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone have experience with Spinal Stenosis & the treatment for it?

SS runs in my family.   We all suffer from it as we age.  As I approach 60 I can tell It's on it's way, sisters are the same.

My doctor has me on 600 mg calcium & 1-2k d3 daily.  I workout with weights and walk daily (weather permitting). What he has me on and what I take are significantly different- I'm at about 6000iu's of D and both Cal/Mag is about 2k as well.  

Understanding your dad's age, these options are pretty much not optional.  By the time my mom was diagnosed (in her late 60's) it wasn't optional either.  She did go for shots, I beleive they were steroid based,  She had a compromised immune system due to a transplant so they placed a series of shots around the area, not into the spine. 

It gave her relief for a few months.  She was tiny- 90lbs so weight wasn't an issue.  If your dad needs to loose lb's it will help.  The less weight he has to carry the better. 

PT would be another option.  By the time we convinced mom to go to PT it was too late. She didn't want to go to "another appointment" so I can't tell you the outcome for her.  I've gone to PT and it does help but you have to keep up the exercises after the course of treatment or the symptoms come back.  I also meditate- Probably a tough sell for an 80yo. 

Good luck.  It's a very painful condition.  Alternate heat/cold- keep moving-  

(my opinion--any surgeon who would actually perform that surgery on somebody with your dad's history is a business man, not a medical professional--)

Regular Contributor

I have both as well as a number of other medical problems.  Even in my 50’s, I was advised not to have surgery by Columbia University as it could leave me in worse shape.  My Dad was in his mid 80’s when he fell & broke his neck.  He survived 6 hours of surgery only to pass away 3 months later in rehab from pneumonia.  I suggest he get a second opinion from a large teaching hospital.  At age 80, I would imagine the healing process would be lengthiy.  Good luck & God bless him.

Trusted Contributor

@lindseyemmie

My Mom got relief from pain/nerve blocking shots. She does stretching exercises every morning & has improved tremendously without surgery. 

My DH had the shots as well. The first one was great but the 2nd one he thinks something went wrong because he was worse after it. He’s had 2 back surgeries & still has pain. He tries to do simple exercises/stretching daily & says that helps. 

I know people who swear by acupuncture treatments. I can’t convince DH to try it-yet....

Good luck to your father. 

Honored Contributor

@lindseyemmie  I'm astounded that any doctor would suggest back surgery for an 80 year old man.  Recovery is extensive, and it can make things worse and not better.

My father is 90 years old now.  He developed spinal stenosis about 20 years ago and saw several doctors and surgeons about it.  They all told him that due to his age and health history it would not be recommended.  He uses a walker.  His health history is about the same as your father's.  He had prostate cancer and heart issues.  

He takes calcium on his doctor's advice and that's all.  PT would probably be worth a try.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

My 93 year old Mom had Spinal surgery in the last 3 months. She had been dealing with the pain and limited mobility for 5 years. We were surprised that the surgeon would consider operating as she has had heart problems. 

After surgery the pain down her leg was gone, other than dealing with some issues with her electrolytes she is improving daily.  She lives on her own but does have daily assistance. 

Honored Contributor

@lindseyemmie wrote:

My 80 year old father had an MRI & has been told he needs extensive back surgery for Spinal Stenosis & Degenerative Disk Desease. At this point he can't walk without the aid of crutches or a walker. He does not want to go through surgery due to his age, previous prostate cancer & heart problems that require him to be on blood thinners. If anyone here has experience with Spinal Stenosis & Degenerative Disk Desease would you please share with me what you have done to get back some quality of life without surgery. I'm not asking for medical advice. I know that is the doctors job. I'd just like to hear alternative options, such as supplements or Physical Therapy, that may of helped. Thank you in advance for anything you're willing to share with me. Hugs

@lindseyemmie

At his advanced age... having such surgery could be very dangerous  as is any surgery.  My husband's mother passed away last month. She was 81 and fell and broke her hip.  They did surgery and she passed just hours out of surgery.... she also had heart problems, was on blood thinners.... what killed her was that her body just shut down after the surgery. Her kidneys were failing.  It is risky to have surgery at an advanced age like 80.  

Try every avenue NOT SURGERY RELATED first... 

Super Contributor

I was diagnosed with this 3 years ago, and at times it was so bad, I couldn't walk 3 feet. I did not want to even contemplate surgery, so I opted for a chiropractor. I know it will not work for everyone, but it worked well for me. First time I went twice a week for about a month, then once a week for another, then was able to stop going. If I feel a flare up, which does happen, I got back for a couple of times and am good to go again.

Visitor

This condition is so very painful.  I've had 1 cervical surgery with plate & 3 lumbar spine surgeries - the last lumbar surgery in 2010 with the rod inserted.at L-2 thru L-5.  This surgery was successful!! But now at l-1-2, I have severe central canal stenosis & broad disc bulge.  I have an appointment with surgeon but really don't want surgery...I'll be 80 in the Spring.  Severe arthritis, etc. - I need a new spine.  Aguatic therapy I've found is the best!!!!  The water is warm and the exercises/PT in water are not painful. Due to family situations/caregiving I've not been able to go back to this therapy at this time.  I've also done acupuncture and it helped not having original surgery for a couple of years.  I would suggest you do Aquatic therapy.  It helps mentally also.  I'm as active as I can be but sleeping interrupted and have to have help with some daily chores. Needless to say, this condition causes deprssion/frustration. Fortunately, I have no heart issues, my back is the problem area.  Good luck and sincere wishes for some relief from pain!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@lindseyemmie, DH had it several years ago and our family doctor sent him to a chiropractor.  DH was out of work for two months and in tremendous pain, but once treatment was finished, he has not had any more pain.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!