Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have experience using probiotics for IBS?

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Please discuss any probiotics with your **doctor** before taking them, especially with something like IBS.

IMO this is not the place for medical advice.

....I have asked a few medical questions here, and would never rely totally on a posters advice but it's nice to hear of other peoples experience with an issue you are having, i see nothing wrong with it.

New Contributor

I found help by reading the book The Complete Low-Fodmap Diet by Sue Shepherd, PhD and Peter Gibson, MD.  (Look for the book at the library.)   By watching my diet and taking one capsule of Renew Life Extra Care Ultimate Flora Probiotic and two capsules of Source Naurals Daily Essential Enzymes (2 capsules before each meal), I have found great relief.  I have suffered IBSD for 40 years and feel that I am finally on the right track.  I have followed the diet and now know my trigger foods.   I wish you the best.

Respected Contributor

My only comment is beware of the size of the pill. I bought the DA product below and the pill is huge. I almost choked on it! At this point I'm scared of it. Ha! Digestive Advantage Prebiotic Fiber Plus Probiotic, 24 Ct

Super Contributor

Look into a probiotic called VSL #3.  It is specifically designed for people with IBS, ulcerative colitis.  I order it from its website, but you can buy it from certain pharmacies.  I take the capsules.  Stay away from the powder.  $60 a bottle.  Expensive.  Must be refrigerated.  It works.  

Super Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Please discuss any probiotics with your **doctor** before taking them, especially with something like IBS.

IMO this is not the place for medical advice.

She's just asking for opinions not medical advice.  Lighten up. 

Esteemed Contributor

Probiotics did not help me.  Had a colonoscopy and endoscopy 3 years ago and am prepping for another one tomorrow.  Anyone who has had this knows the prep is worse than the procedure.  I went to a different Dr because the one who did the first one did not help me at all.  And his PA was worse!  I called in July for an appt and had to wait 3 months.  Are you kidding me?

So I went to a Dr I had seen about 12 yrs ago, got in within a week and he scheduled this procedure.  I don't know what's going on, but like a couple of other posters said, afraid to leave the house.  I can't go anywhere until the afternoon because of these disgusting bathroom issues.  We'll see tomorrow.

Occasional Contributor

In my case new diet plus probiotic made the difference in a matter of few days. 

IT WAS A MIRACLE 

you need to experiment to know exactly what you can eat and what is forbidden.

Everybody is different but what helped me is;

-  no coffee !!!!!!   

- no  diary products esp. milk. Cow milk has inflammatory properties according to my gastroenterlogist. A little goat products. The eggs are ok 

- no fruit juice

- from fruits only berries and bananas 

- no fry products, very little oil, butter is easy to digest in case of IBS D

- smaller meals, no snacking 

- no chocolate and sugary deserts !!!!   

I found very good for stomach protein shakes but only plant base. ( Costco Orgain Organic Superfood in blue package. They have constipation properties.

I started with 2 tablets of probiotics; you need good ones with 50 billions strains 

( again Cosctco or CVS ). After 2 weeks  I am taking 1 tabl. Daily

I consider myself cured as long as I stick to my diet. I suffered from diarrhea over 30 y

I use medication for anxiety when traveling. For long flights Imodium OTC, for daily trips

Lomotil ( prescription).

Do not WASTE your life and be home bound. Experiment with the diet.

Best of luck!!

Esteemed Contributor

I have IBSD and the only over the counter product that works for me and with my prescriptions is yogurt. I have one or two a day depending on how my system is functioning. I'm not a big fan of OTC additives but then I have more than a few prescriptions.  

Frequent Contributor

My gastroenterologist tells me to take IBgard peppermint capsules rather than probiotics. 

https://ibgard.com/

The peppermint oil calms the gut. They have helped me. I buy them at CVS or Walmart. There are a number of studies on the benefits of peppermint oil for IBS.

Honored Contributor

I have severe IBS, GERD, etc., any my gastro dr. put me on Floristor.  They are kind of expensive but I do believe they are helpful.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin