Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have any trouble adjusting to blood pressure meds at the beginning ?

My only symptom was consistently high BP readings.

I've been taking HCTZ for many years and eventually had to add Metoprolol which makes me dizzy, so Dr. told me to take that one at night.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

Oh yes. Recently went through this. I think they tried four on me and I couldn't adjust to the side effects, especially the Metropolol. I eventually just went back to my good old Lisinopril, even though it makes me sweat.

Valued Contributor

I've never had symptoms and have been on BP meds for years. Unfortunately slowly the readings have been slowly going up. My fault. I'm fat and don't exercise! LOL

Respected Contributor

Mine  is isamlod/benazp , they did say it was one of the safest and has been on the market for a long time. I think i have sleep apnea and i recently have a hard time breathing when i first go to bed , trying to find the right position so my air waves aren't blocked , i have put off looking into it , and now i think i am paying the price.

Esteemed Contributor

@MW in Iowa 

High blood pressure is often called "the silent killer" because most people have no symptoms

@MW in Iowa wrote:

Thanks everyone , Just one question , why did everyone start taking medication ? Did you just start because you had a high reading or did you have symptons first ?

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Regular Contributor

My husband had a high bp reading at his physical.  He is making a good effort to lower it by intense exercise and eating foods on the Dash/Mediterranean Diet.  After 2 weeks, his reading has dropped to 135/85.

Have any of you tried avoiding taking bp medication, by diet and exercise?  If so, did you get good results in lowering bp to a safer level?

Thanks,

Roxie Girl

Honored Contributor

@MW in Iowa 

I just replied to your Sleep Apnea posts. It surprised me when I saw yet another post asking questions about another health issue. Seems like you need to revisit your doctor and get some answers.

I know you are aware there are many, many different Blood Pressure medicines. It is not uncommon for many to have issues with BP medicines. The medications are different types, and each person's body is unique to themselves.

What and how medications effect others has nothing to do with how it effects you. You don't even mention what medication, and the dosage, in your post. Not that that would make a difference, it just seems strange to me you offer very little I information and want people here to tell you what effects their BP meds had on them?

I was on a BP med for about 9 years and I could tell you how it effected me and how i had to change dosages over those years. How that would help you if i told you? It would mean absolutely nothing that would medically help you. Maybe it may make you mentally feel better, but that is about it.

As I said in my posts in your Sleep Apnea thread. SEE YOUR DOCTOR and write down all your questions you need answered.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Thanks hckynut(john) , i appreciate your response to both of my  posts. It is good to hear responses from real people , not just a doctor prescribing a drug.

Honored Contributor

@MW in Iowa wrote:

Thanks hckynut(john) , i appreciate your response to both of my  posts. It is good to hear responses from real people , not just a doctor prescribing a drug.

@MW in Iowa 

Believe me, I understand hearing and reading others responses on medical issues. I have here many times that other people's real life experiences, can help others, however that is not for a diagnosis.

Things such as after effects of say, a knee replacement, or a specific surgery and their recovery. Those things can be invaluable for someone looking ahead to a surgery itself, and also the recovery of others. Many doctors that perform these procedures do not know "from experiencing these themselves".

I have told many of my own experiences here with my pretty long list of my own medical issues and procedures. When I was on the Heart Floor the head nurse asked me to be a Patient's Advocate. This was because I had many issues and procedures of my own with heart related issues. Patients were glad I spoke with them about my experiences, and most seemed to be more at ease.

Just want you to know I do "get it" when it comes to certain things of a medical nature. Since this thread of yours is about Blood Pressure Meds, telling your prescription name, along with dosage, would make it easier for others to tell you their experiences. As I said previously, I had my own with a particular BP med after my 2 heart attacks.

Seems like you understand my point, that it is not to pick on you, just to level with you by my way of communicating.

Be well,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I asked my provider to put me on a low dose BP medication due to the difference in my readings in her office compared to my readings at the donor center where I donated platelets.    

During platelet donations you have BP cuffs on both arms, so that equipment is checked and calibrated for accuracy daily.   I checked the equipment tag in the doctors office and saw it is inspected yearly, so my office readings were off.  

I was not in a bad situation, but felt more comfortable taking a low dose medication.    I take Losartin 25mg.