Honored Contributor

Anyone have any gout remedies

My son just had a gout attack and he thought it was tendinitis.He is really upset with this diagnosis as he is young.Has anyone got any good advice as to how to avoid a future attack or any sucess stories about non traditional treatments that worked.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone have any gout remedies

Braggs Organic Apple Cider Vinegar in a cup of water before each meal.

Also look up on the Internet the foods to stay away from and the foods that help with to much purines.

Honored Contributor

@hopi@Thanks ..do you have sucess with this

Honored Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex  Why does he think it's gout??  Has he ever had his uric acid levels checked?  If  not, please have him get that done.  There is medication to control uric acid.  HTH.......  I also take Allopurinol - 100 mg. QD.........................So far, so good....

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Get thee to a health food store and purchase some Tart Cherry Juice concentrate. Put 2 Tablespoons in some fuzzy water.....or whatever you like.......twice a day. 

Great for gout. Also helps with sleep as it has a ton of melatonin in it. Google it....you'll see people swear by it. I recently started it when I felt a twinge in my big toe and it took it right away. It's also great for all kinds of inflamation. 

Edited to add:  Tell your son that .I had my first bout at age 25 and was devastated as it's a type of arthritis. Every doctor I saw said "It can't be gout. Women your age don't get gout". Well...finally one doctor said...it sure looks like gout......and gave me something that took it right away. Can't remember what it was now. But tell you son that I never have had a full blown episode of gout since. I have felt it coming on several times ......always when I've changed my diet.........maybe ate too much protein when I was cutting carbs or something......so I stopped what I was doing and it would go away.  But I've read about the tart cherry juice concentrate and decided to give it a try. The added benefit is it helps me sleep!

Honored Contributor

@emma bunting thank you so much for your help.i will be sending a copy of your reply to him...makes things sound less dire...ps to those who want to know..this was diagnosed by a podiatrist.

Honored Contributor

Start researching "Gout + Celiac Disease".  It might be time for you to go Gluten Free.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many posters here will tell you their home remedies but the fact is that you NEED to get on a medication to get rid of the uric acid because not only does it damage your joints , but it also damages your kidneys. And once kidneys are ruined it will be too late to take the medicine. You will be on dialysis. Please, go to the doctor and have a uric acid level done and if it is high do not depend on diets and home remedies. I take Allopurinol for my gout and it is totally effective and so cheap they don't even turn it in to the insurance ,I pay for it myself , all $2 a month.

Trusted Contributor

cherry juice, no shell fish.  Has he been checked out by a doctor or clinic?  If not he should be, there is medication for it and if he does have it he should be trated for it.  It isn't a one time thing and it will reccur.