Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have a favorite vitamin supplement , that they have seen a difference.

[ Edited ]

I take berberine which is not a vitamin but a substance which controls blood sugar (similar to metformin, made from a plant root) and cholesterol in one. I had a high enough LDL which made my doctor put me on a statin. Then months later that caused my A1C to go up. I had enough of that so I did some reading and found berberine. Now all my blood chemistry levels are normal and I do not take any meds. I'm 65yo.  My doctor was astonished and wanted to know more about berberine and, of course, my doctor didn't know anything about it.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone have a favorite vitamin supplement , that they have seen a difference.

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Every day I take primo beets powder as a drink with water and I take 1300mg beet root capsules. The beet powder for the drink is Consult Beaute brand and the pills are We like vitamins brand. Both are available on amazon. Other than that, I maintain a healthy weight. The pandemic has negatively affected my exercise routine (my buildings gym is still closed). I was doing better before though and doing the treadmill 3-5 times a week. My BP was routinely around 145/89 before I started taking beets. Now it's usually around 115/72. I think it's worth a try. It has no side effects. Best of luck to you.

@Grouchomarx 

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I will hold on to this information and will try it later on. 

I just started a different powder I mentioned in my previous message. Today was day 2 and I’m not liking it.  It tastes too much like beets and I have never been able to eat those. Even the smell is unpleasant. I may put a little something in to tolerate it. 

Thank you again!

Honored Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

@World Traveler wrote:

Andrew Lessman, nobody else's in my cupboard.

@World Traveler 

I picture opening up your cupboards and there is Andrew, all crouched in there to fit. 😁

@Teddie LOL!!!! I'll have to be more careful in how I word things from now on. ha!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I take berberine which is not a vitamin but a substance which controls blood sugar and cholesterol in one. I had a high enough LDL which made my doctor put me on a statin. Then months later that caused my A1C to go up. I had enough of that so I did some reading and found berberine. Now all my blood chemistry levels are normal and I do not take any meds. I'm 65yo.  My doctor was astonished and wanted to know more about berberine and, of course, my doctor didn't know anything about it.

I take that too, @SilleeMee . Any medical people I talk to know nothing of these alternatives. I would love to go to a doctor who knows about alternative ways but that is pretty hard around here to find unless I drive a long way away. I’ve had to do all my own research. 

I love reading all your messages! We have some wonderful contributors on these boards! 

Respected Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Every day I take primo beets powder as a drink with water and I take 1300mg beet root capsules. The beet powder for the drink is Consult Beaute brand and the pills are We like vitamins brand. Both are available on amazon. Other than that, I maintain a healthy weight. The pandemic has negatively affected my exercise routine (my buildings gym is still closed). I was doing better before though and doing the treadmill 3-5 times a week. My BP was routinely around 145/89 before I started taking beets. Now it's usually around 115/72. I think it's worth a try. It has no side effects. Best of luck to you.

@Grouchomarx 

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I will hold on to this information and will try it later on. 

I just started a different powder I mentioned in my previous message. Today was day 2 and I’m not liking it.  It tastes too much like beets and I have never been able to eat those. Even the smell is unpleasant. I may put a little something in to tolerate it. 

Thank you again!

This is why I buy the primo beets brand. It comes in flavors and I didn't really find anything exactly like it out there. It actually tastes very good, I prefer the cherry flavor over the blueberry and strawberry lemonade but they are all pretty good tasting.

Trusted Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@Teddie wrote:

@World Traveler wrote:

Andrew Lessman, nobody else's in my cupboard.

@World Traveler 

I picture opening up your cupboards and there is Andrew, all crouched in there to fit. 😁

@Teddie LOL!!!! I'll have to be more careful in how I word things from now on. ha!

@World Traveler  That’s just how my brain thinks. I hear most things literally. You have no idea how many times I want to make some crack about something someone has said and I hold back because not everyone would appreciate it. My family knows I’m very much this way. 😁

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you! Woman Happy @Teddie  You are very kind.

Not only did I get my LDL and glucose back to normal, I got my thinning bones back to normal, too. I had such a low bone density at one point that my doctor gave me a shot of a bone-building drug (Zometa) which didn't make my bones dense enough and my doctor wanted me to take more drugs...I  said no and found something else called bamboo silica powder and, again, my doctor was wondering how I did it so I mentioned the silica...all I got was a strange look and nothing more was said. 

Trusted Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Teddie wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Grouchomarx 

Thank you again!

This is why I buy the primo beets brand. It comes in flavors and I didn't really find anything exactly like it out there. It actually tastes very good, I prefer the cherry flavor over the blueberry and strawberry lemonade but they are all pretty good tasting.

I had read all the reviews for this before I bought it and several said it did not taste like beets. Disappointing. If I want to take it every day I want to enjoy it. Again, I REALLY appreciate your input. 

@Grouchomarx 

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Thank you! Woman Happy @Teddie  You are very kind.

Not only did I get my LDL and glucose back to normal, I got my thinning bones back to normal, too. I had such a low bone density at one point that my doctor gave me a shot of a bone-building drug (Zometa) which didn't make my bones dense enough and my doctor wanted me to take more drugs...I  said no and found something else called bamboo silica powder and, again, my doctor was wondering how I did it so I mentioned the silica...all I got was a strange look and nothing more was said. 

YOU are the one who is kind, @SilleeMee 😊

i remember you talking about that and I wrote it down. I often scribble notes when something interests me, and MANY things you write about interests me because I love this subject.