Respected Contributor

Anyone have a favorite vitamin supplement , that they have seen a difference.

I take Andrews COQ 10 , i like it but i don't know it really has made a difference , at least that i can see. I tried his Theanine , and for some reason it makes me nervous , not calm. Natrols 3 am melentonin has it in it and i took it last night and it made my sleep worse , i am not sure why they put that in a nightime product , even Andrew said it should be taken in the daytime for the benefit 

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone have a favorite vitamin supplement , that they have seen a difference.

[ Edited ]

I've taken the same for a while now...I used to think I didn't need a multi...didn't feel different, but now I do think I feel more balanced, especially since Covid when my diet has been less balanced.

I take "Mega Food" brand, "Women over 40, One Daily" multi. I prefer less chemical brands, and these are Non-GMO etc, made from fruits, veggies. First multi I ever took that didn't taste horrible, repeat on me, upset my stomach, as others in the past did. And no chemical taste, not made from chemicals. I get them at my local Health Food store, but Amazon has them too.

Btw...Vitamin mgr. at the store recommended I stick with "Over 40", rather than their Over 50 one, even though I'm over 50. Because she said that one assumes you may be on certain pills (I think blood thinners) and have extra of something that I don't need, since i'm not on those meds. You'd have to look into that, to make sure of my facts above, but it was some kind of meds the Over 50 one compensates for, which if you are not on those meds, you don't need the extra minerals that are in the over 50.

I take Vit D3, Nature Made, gummies, from CVS. 2000 IU

and B Complex, recommend by my doc, post menopause. I've taken gummies, but currently I got "Nature's Bounty" tablets from CVS, with Folic acid plus Vit C... usually buy 1 get 1. I think these are better than the gummies.

Hope that helps.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have a favorite vitamin supplement , that they have seen a difference.

I don't have the means to 'see' a difference but my doctor does by testing my blood to check two important vitamin levels...D and B12. Mine were low when they were checked so my doctor says to take those supps. 

Honored Contributor

Andrew Lessman, nobody else's in my cupboard.

Regular Contributor

Hi, if you are looking for help for your eyes, I recommend Lessman's Ultimate Eye Supplement. I had an area in one eye that was in the normal range, but starting to develop macular degeneration. After seeing this supplement and taking it for almost a year, on my next visit, the dr. said that area was improving! He said that he couldn't state it was because of the vitamins, but not to stop them. I recommended it to a girlfriend, who also saw improvement in her eyes as well.

Respected Contributor

Funny , my b12 is perfectly normal and i am a vegetarian , go figure. Also i meant feel a difference , i know many times we might not feel it , but they are stengthing our body and giving us what we are missing , sometimes we also could be overloading our body on certain supplements we don't need.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MW in Iowa 

I won't  call it "or my favorite". What I will say is this. When in the hospital with Cellulitis from a bite from one of our felines, my Vitamin D level was checked. This was done because of a problem I told my substitute Doctor, who happened to be my nephew-in-law.

He admitted because my PCP was not available and they are in the same practicing group. My D level was 7ng/ml, which is very low. He added Vitamin D to my Antibiotic IV Drip.

When I was released over 7 days later my D level read 13ng/do, which was still low. He gave me a prescription of 50,000IU of 1 pill per day for a week. After that I began with a OTC Supplement of 2,000IU twice a day. Over a few month my Viamin D level reached 50ng/do, which is considered a good range for me.

I still take the same 2,000IU twice per day and will continue to do so until one of my doctors, after a blood reading, tells me differently. 

I do not expect any supplement I take to "make me feel better or different". What I want to see is an improvement in my blood readings, which is my only reason for taking any supplement.

Unlike many that expect some supplements to boost their energy, when in fact their body levels are not in need of that supplementation.

I worked every night shift there was during my working years, including the backwards living, Midnight-8:00am Graveyard Shift. I have never taken a pill or drink to keep me awake, nor have I taken any pill, or other form, to help me sleep. I have however undergone 6 full overnight Sleep Studies, which had zero to do with how I slept.

The above is the extent of my taking any supplement, which are not taken to make me feel better or more energetic. They had to do with musculature reactions due to the lack of Vitamin D in my body.

ETA:  Forgot to mention my other supplementation. I get a B-12 injection  every month. Why? Because of blood loss requiring over 130 blood transfusions and about 30-35 Iron Infusions, for the same reasons.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MW in Iowa 

I know know what you mean. I think it's only natural to wonder if we are getting the right amount of nutrients in our lives. People say it all the time that eating a healthy diet would give you all that is needed. But the fact is the food available today doesn't cut it. A lot of it lacks valuable nutrients b/c of farming and processing techniques. I try very hard at eating healthy and I really believe that helps me a lot. I don't take vitamin supplements just b/c I think maybe I might need them...there's no way of knowing that for sure plus it can be hard on the liver and kidneys. So I only take the vitamins which are tested and found to be low. There are only 13 recognized vitamins and most can be found in good food. Vitamin supps, imho, should be reserved for those who have a medical reason why they need them, for instance malabsorption or some illness which causes low levels. 

I do take several 'herbal' type powders. I don't call them vitamins b/c they are not. But they contain some things that I have found to be beneficial for me.

Super Contributor

About 4 years ago, I was experiencing aching pain in my calves, especially when I trying to get to sleep at night.  I remember telling my doctor about it during my annual checkup.  He diagnosed it as restless leg syndrome.  I don't remember what he suggested to remedy it but shortly after that visit, I discovered Andrew Lessman Circulation & Vein Support.  I was impressed by the number of rave reviews and I added it to my daily supplements.  A year later when my doctor followed up on my complaint, I had literally forgotten I ever had the problem!  The rave reviews proved true for me, thankfully.  I continued to take those supplements for another 18 months or so before I decided to try weaning myself off of them.  That went well and the issue has not recurred.  I would not hesitate to recommend Circulation & Vein Support to others with similar symptoms.

Valued Contributor

I take a multi-vitamin for women over 50 years,  plus a calcium supplement. I am diabetic in my mid 60's. I continually strive to lose weight and keep my weight down by eating very little, so I feel the supplements makes up for what I don't ingest. I used to take a doctor recommended daily 5000IU of vitamin D due to a deficiency...a deficiency that disappeared after I moved to and lived in Florida for a bit. The only other supplement I take is 500mg daily of magnesium prescribed by my Neurologist. 

None of these make me feel any different one way or the other. While I was taking the vitamin D, I accidentally took a way too high dose for about 2 months. It caused weakness, causing me to almost fall a few times.