Occasional Contributor

Re: Anyone had shoulder surgery?

I had a reverse shoulder replacement on my left shoulder 2 years ago.I am getting ready to have the right shoulder done early next year. I have osteroartritis and the pain gets bad when it gets to be bone on bone. I had a nerve block in the OR and woke up in a sling and no pain, I wore the sling for six weeks and the some physical therapy.

It was wonderful not to have the pain anymore and a a brand new shoulder.

Looking forward to getting the right one done, I have a wonderful female surgeon, and she only does shoulders. I will soon be 65 years old.

Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone had shoulder surgery?

Thank you everyone. My surgeon indicated pain is bad after surgery if I have a rotator cuff injury and they have now emailed me about the special type of narcotic pain relief I need. Insurance doesn't cover it and it has to be ordered. I explained my husband is blind and can't drive over and pick it up easily so can we do it in advance. My pain now is constant, unrelenting, mind strangling. Only allowed gapapentin which is mind numbing as others make me throw up or give me bad gastritis. Not writhing in pain but just doing normal everyday stuff creates ache and terrible pain in my neck to my bicep. Not sleeping well due to pain. It is arthritic changes, bursitis, osteophytes and 3 small tenden tears including in the rotator cuff. I am relieved to hear your stories. I have things set up, house cleaning, food service, grocery deliver for after surgery. I have had major heart surgury and also foot surgeries (arthritis related) so I know how much to be scared and how much to stop fretting! I will do the PT afterwards, have not been told anything about this but I know I hold this shoulder stiffly not moving it if I can help it and that is not good for one's muscles. 

Again, thank you all. I am a woman and have lots of stretch pants no zippers, ha ha. Not many button front shirts though for getting an injured arm in easily. And what about tying shoes? Oh, my -- I wear orthopedic shoes for my arthritic feet but I have some orthopedic boots.