Valued Contributor

Anyone had shoulder surgery?

I am scheduled for shoulder surgery soon. Have had CT and MRI but the MRI was a day ago and I don't know the results yet. Unrelenting pain for six months. Doctors have taken a conservative approach and it has helped only minorly. 

So I am asking if anyone has had bone spurs or osteophytes removed from the glenohumeral joint and/or rotator cuff injury repaired? What was your pain level after surgery? I am limited on pain meds due to their side effects. And how long was your arm in a sling after the surgery?

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone had shoulder surgery?

I've not had that surgery but this previous thread came to mind as it has tons of responses. Might be worth a read. Good luck.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/Rotator-Cuff-Surgery-Can-anyone-give-me-tips/m-p/4685617/highl...

Esteemed Contributor

Never had any of this. Sorry I can't help, wishing you well and a speedy recovery. 🙏❤️

Respected Contributor

I had a torn rotator cuff ... the pain was intense for about 6 months ..

it was like a throbbing tooth ache .. funny thing was .. the pain was

not in my shoulder but in my bicep ....

Had surgery .. did all my PT faithfully and it is great .. no pain at all

Good Luck .. but yes .. I know that pain ...

Respected Contributor

Arm was in a sling maybe 10 days to 2 weeks .. think I worn it when I

went out just to be safe .. and didn't wear it at home ...After the 2 weeks

I took pain meds .. maybe 4-5 days ....the pain before was much

worse than any pain I had after ... but you must do everything

PT tells you ....exercises at home etc.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had 3 rotator cuff surgeries and they did relieve the pain from the tear. The worst tear was on my left arm and it took bit of time to heal. The next two tears were not as bad and the recovery was much, much easier to get through.

Couple of tips: plan ahead and make sure you have elastic waist pants available to wear during recovery. It's almost impossible to zip and unbutton your pants. (Just saying).  I don't know if you are a man or woman (sorry), but washing and blow drying hair is also not easy to do the first week or two. If your doctor tells you to wear a sling, be sure to wear you sling in public. It's basically to keep people from touching your shoulder. It may help to sleep in a chair to get sleep. I could not comfortably lay down for a few weeks.

For two of my surgeries I only wore the sling for 3 days at home and then for about 3 weeks when I went out in public. I did go to the PT and did do the PT exercises at home. I was also able to stop using any pain meds 3 days after surgery and switched to just Advil. I do not do well w/ pain meds at all.

Finally, depending on your tear and your surgeon, you should get full range of motion back w/in 6 weeks to 3 months. And no pain.

Good luck.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

@Growing I have had multiple shoulder surgeries on the left and right side for torn rotator cuffs and bone spurs. Each time wearing the sling is part of the process.  Pain is such an individual thing it wouldn't be fair for me to offer what to expect in that area.  I had only moderate post-surgery pain.  I took pain medication, but I was never in intense writhing pain. In fact, my pre-surgery pain was far worse than the post in each instance.  

I wore my sling for 5 to 6 weeks.  There was regular physical therapy for about two months and I exercised on my own in a swimming pool.  

Honored Contributor

I nursed my brother in CA through 2 rotator cuff surgeries and like @Trix  said, he wore his sling for 5-6 weeks.

He did have pain meds for about 2 weeks, which helped manage the pain pretty well.

Good luck with your sugery, I'm sure you'll do fine!

Sending Love Light and prayers.jpeg

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Super Contributor

I had shoulder surgery.  I faithfully did my time on the therapy chair delivered to my house on a temporary basis.  It raised my arm electrically and every day I had to increase my range of motion. I also faithfully attended my hospital therapy and excercises.  I am as good as new.  You will do fine but therapy is the key.

Super Contributor

I have. Tendinitis. Six weeks in the sling. Pain was pretty bad first two weeks, definitely need pain meds. It's all better now. Was worth it.