Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone had a very bad cold this season?

This is a tip a doctor gave me. if you find yourself getting sick the same time of year every year to start taking alergy meds. I been taking zyrtic year round and get sick 90 less often. Also take musinex as soon as you feel the symptoms coming on, don't wait till your full blown sick. It will help you get better faster by thinning out the mucus in your chest, nose, ears etc.. it helps get the junk out of your system and not backing up like an ear infection.

Trusted Contributor

Well I'm on day 8 of this cold/cough and don't feel much better although I don't have to blow my nose as much (but when I do still get yellow mucus out, sorry for TMI). What is the worse part is the sinus congestion and headache. Do others have a constant headache with yours?

I finished my antibiotic yesterday and picked up some homeopathic treatments at Whole Foods today when I went grocery shopping (my first time out of the house in 8 days.) At this point I'm willing to try anything to feel better. From reading all of your posts I think it may just take TIME to get over this nasty virus.

Honored Contributor

I'm lucky not to have been sick yet, but I know many who are.

Please, please be careful about antibiotics. They will not help a viral infection and the over-prescribing and over-use (even of the simplest things like Neosporin) have contributed to one of the biggest, most frightening dangers in the global healthcare system: antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

(One excellent source for info from Frontline: The Trouble with Antibiotics and Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria)

I hope everyone checks with their personal physician and/or trusted pharmacist, or other healthcare professional, and feels well and strong soon!Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

On 1/4/2015 soonersis said:

I woke up with a bad cold this past Monday so I've now had it 7 days. Also have had a cough with it and possibly a sinus infection as well as I have had such sinus congestion and a bad sinus headache that doesn't go away. Can't believe how much I've had to blow my nose.

My husband has had a mild version of the same and our son, who's an internist, gave us both a rx for the 5-day Z pack antibiotic. I don't like taking antibiotics and know you shouldn't for a cold, but hope it will take care of the sinus problem. I just don't remember ever having a cold this bad and wonder if others out there are experiencing the same thing. I'm glad it's not the flu, but this has really gotten me down. I haven't been out of my house since this time last Sunday and I've got cabin fever.

O/P ~ I could have written your post above. I'm going through the exact same thing.

(Same time frame too).

Contributor

I have had an awful cold for ten days now and I went to the doctor today because my entire face and my teeth were throbbing. Turns out it is a sinus infection and I was prescribed these huge (to me, they are anyway) antibiotic pills that I swear would choke a horse. Plus cough medicine with codeine. I caught the cold from my sister who had it during Christmas week. Hope all of you feel better soon.

Valued Contributor

Hi Soonersis, you could be describing what I just went through! I rarely get colds and I can't remember ever having the flu and my last sinus infection was over 20 years ago (knock wood), but I recently had a cold that lasted 3+ weeks and I would have sworn it was turning into a sinus infection. Thank goodness it didn't. I just took Coricidin to manage the symptoms and rode it out. Must have picked it up Xmas shopping because I use wipes on the carts and carry hand sanitizer with me. Good luck and good health-hope you are feeling better soon!