Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone follow a low or no salt diet? Looking for food ideas please.

@ID2 wrote:

I developed high blood pressure during my pregnancys 30 plus years ago. I went off eating sodium then and never went back! I really can't stand the taste of anything salty now. Yuck. I have always changed my recipes by eliminating all sodium products and using homemade or store bought sodium free. I've done this for so long that I don't even think about it. Whenever I even look at a recipe my mind goes to "how can I change this mode".  Sodium is an acquired taste...the more you have the more you want.

I must say this is so true! I am not a "salter" but once we really cut back, things I used to eat and never even realize they were salty now taste super salty and I no longer like it! One example is a burrito bowl from chipotle. I just get brown rice, black beans, a sprinkling of cheese and oh my gosh it is sooooo salty! I never even realized it before. Does not taste good at all!

Contributor

Talk to a nutritionist or make an appointment with a nutritionist who can help you with diet choices and meal planning.    There is no such thing as a NO SALT DIET.    There is no added salt or low salt diets.      BE sure to ask your doctor for the amount of sodium per day that would be allowable for your husband.   Exercise as recommended by your doctor--like walking would be great for you both.   Your doctor should be able to give you information on diet choices and menu planning as well as website with recipe examples and cookbooks as resources. 

Honored Contributor

I just tried Walnut Acres Organic low sodium spaghetti sauce and it was pretty darn good. Only 20mg of salt per half a cup- most jarred spaghetti sauces are between 300-500+ mg per half cup! I could spice it up a bit next time, maybe a bit of olive oil and more spices or some red wine but it was a good basic sauce. I've tried several so far and this is the best low sodium one so far. I am still going to make my own at some point when I have more time but this is good for a quick dinner.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

I developed high blood pressure during my pregnancys 30 plus years ago. I went off eating sodium then and never went back! I really can't stand the taste of anything salty now. Yuck. I have always changed my recipes by eliminating all sodium products and using homemade or store bought sodium free. I've done this for so long that I don't even think about it. Whenever I even look at a recipe my mind goes to "how can I change this mode".  Sodium is an acquired taste...the more you have the more you want.

I must say this is so true! I am not a "salter" but once we really cut back, things I used to eat and never even realize they were salty now taste super salty and I no longer like it! One example is a burrito bowl from chipotle. I just get brown rice, black beans, a sprinkling of cheese and oh my gosh it is sooooo salty! I never even realized it before. Does not taste good at all!

@ID2  @HappyDaze @Lacey1 @Tee4u and @blackhole99 for a number of years now I have been eating a mainly raw food diet (concentrating on veggies). 

The only things that get salted (with Himalayan or Celtic sea salt) are my morning scrambled eggs and my evening hamburger (both from organic, pasture raised animals which give them good Omega-3 profiles v. bad Omega-6 profiles). 

When I eat prepared foods, sometimes it's a shock to taste how much salt has been added. 

Since I don't use iodized salt, this means that I'm not getting the daily level of necessary iodine that I need. Because of this I take a Nature's Way daily kelp supplement (about $8-10 or 180 capsules) to make sure I'm getting enough iodine daily. -- You don't want to have either too much or too little iodine in your diet. 

FYI, Nature's Way is just a middle of the road vitamin manufacturer, so there may well be other brands that are better. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bebe777 wrote:
 .....for a number of years now I have been eating a mainly raw food diet (concentrating on veggies). 

The only things that get salted (with Himalayan or Celtic sea salt) are my morning scrambled eggs and my evening hamburger (both from organic, pasture raised animals which give them good Omega-3 profiles v. bad Omega-6 profiles). 

When I eat prepared foods, sometimes it's a shock to taste how much salt has been added. 

@bebe777

How do you interpret a 'raw food diet?'  With morning & evening consisting of cooked animal products, those on the outside looking in would say, 'that's not a raw food diet.'

I followed the 80-10-10 Diet for a long while, so when I hear 'raw', I have an 'educated' idea what that is.   Granted there are Raw Vegan (which I did) and other raw diets that incorporate raw meats & raw eggs, but never have I seen a 'raw diet' with 'cooked' food.  With my apologies to the OP taking this off topic, can you elaborate?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@bebe777 wrote:
 .....for a number of years now I have been eating a mainly raw food diet (concentrating on veggies). 

@bebe777

How do you interpret a 'raw food diet?'  With morning & evening consisting of cooked animal products, those on the outside looking in would say, 'that's not a raw food diet.'

I followed the 80-10-10 Diet for a long while, so when I hear 'raw', I have an 'educated' idea what that is.   Granted there are Raw Vegan (which I did) and other raw diets that incorporate raw meats & raw eggs, but never have I seen a 'raw diet' with 'cooked' food.  With my apologies to the OP taking this off topic, can you elaborate?

@sidsmom, lol, based on what I shared, it sure doesn't sound much like a raw food diet.   It would have been more accurate to say a Paleo diet, heavy on the raw green veggies with a much smaller about of fruits. The only carbs I eat are veggies and fruit (no grains, but seeds are fine).

My daily diet is built around 32oz-40oz of  My Vitamix Green Smoothie RecipeSmiley Happy each day. -- I generally make the smoothie first thing in the morning and drink it throughout the day. While the smoothie has some pineapple and green apple in it, other than that, it is pure veggie. 

morning -- 3 scrambled eggs (pasture raised and fed -- no grains)

lunch -- large color of the rainbow salad minced into small bite-size pieces. Varied nuts (soaked the night before to make them more bioavailable, and eliminate the enzymes that prevent the nut proteins from being properly digested). Occasionally some cheese of cottage cheese. 

supper -- 4oz hamburger (organic, from grass fed cows), large color of the rainbow salad minced into small bite-size pieces. Various vegetable soups, and about five days of the week various tomato soups (best source of lycopene). 

Supplements -- a good number of them over the course of the day. 

Water -- at least 5-6 8oz glasses each day. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Men can REALLY get their backs up over this one, in my experience.

I STOPPED eating anything with salt, just wouldn't do it, and cut back my consumption of prepared foods to very close to ZERO.

I drink hibiscus tea every couple days, does NOT work for everyone but DOES work for me. Eating raw celery can help naturally too, even though it DOES contain natural sodium. 

My BP has gone from about 140/90 to 100/65. I take my BP about every other day, and it's very consistent.

My incentive was to be the healthiest grandma I could possibly be, AND the fact that I had had miserable terrible horrible results with trials of SEVEN different BP meds. I figured that since meds didn't work well for me, I HAD to try every possible thing I could do to help myself. 

If DH is going to be stubborn it will be MUCH harder for him to be successful than if he's willing to be "part of the solution".

Wishing you BOTH GOOD LUCK. 

Wanted to add- "hot" foods, cooked with garlic and hot peppers, ground pepper (hotness to tolerance of course LOL)  are not only good for the system but also you don't miss the salt as much.

ALSO- I could NOT use any salt substitutes. They had a very adverse effect on my blood chemistry