Super Contributor

Anyone experience skin issues tied to hormonal changes?

Just curious .... My skin has become highly sensitive to the point that I have to see a dermotologist for the first time in my 53 years! Just overall random itchiness and "hot spots" appear!  I've had to switch soap and products to "senstive / fragrence free" optons. I've never had particularly sensitive skin so this is such a restriction for me!

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this with peri-menopause? Not what i expected, that's for sure Smiley Frustrated

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone experience skin issues tied to hormonal changes?

Absolutely I have.  I am also 53 and I have been in peri menopause for several years now.  I get eczema on my trunk that comes and goes, typically more so on one side versus the other, switching sides from month to month.  My derm says it is from whatever products I am using on my skin- soap, lotion, laundry detergent but I have used the same products for years with no changes and many are dye and fragrance free.  I definitely think it is related to hormonal changes. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Absolutely. I started looking like a teenager with acne ... once I started on hormone replacement medication it cleared right up. Additional benefits - no hair loss (more than normal anyway), no insomnia, no dry skin, no mood swings, no hot flashes - none of it. 

Honored Contributor

I never had a big problem with pimples but I sure did during perimenopause and for a couple of years after it was over.  I also developed a very oily T-zone after menopause.  It's been 17 years and the oiliness is finally calming down.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes.  It was a long time ago for me, so my memories are fuzzy.  I do remember I thought my skin texture changed.  Some complexion products I had used previously started to irritate my skin.  Even tho I was on HRT, I had a lot of skin sensitivity.  I had to experiment with some new cleansers and moisturizers until I found what made my complexion happy.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have experienced these issues also. My hair is so dry and lifeless also.  Boy who knew hormone loss would be so fun? NOT. 

Super Contributor

Thanks for the comments , appreciate hearing I am not alone in this! And thanks Mother Nature ...NOT! Smiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

My hormones are long gone, but I have lots of allergy related skin problems now.

If you get tested, you can see what is doing it to you.

Many formulas have changed over the years.  Check household products too, 409 just kills me with an instant rash.

Respected Contributor

Unfortunetely yes.  My problem is acne.  Always on my chin (and the mask situation isn't helping) and between my eyebrows (not a good look).  I'm spending a small fortune on new cleansers, pimple patches and topicals.

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

My hormones are long gone, but I have lots of allergy related skin problems now.

If you get tested, you can see what is doing it to you.

Many formulas have changed over the years.  Check household products too, 409 just kills me with an instant rash.

Likewise. Any spray cleaning chemical is an instant hot red skin rash mess. I wear a mask and shield to clean now.