Regular Contributor

Anyone experience anxiety or other side effects taking Singulair ?

Has anyone experienced side effects from taking Singulair? I know someone who had bei taking it for a year with no problems. She decided to go off it for a few months to see if she could manage her allergies without taking, but had to go back on it . It has been about a month but she is having feelings of anxiety and chest tightness. It seems to be effecting her sleeping somewhat. Course that may be due to the increased anxiety and her concern over how she is feeling. Now she is wondering if it is the medication. Anyone have similar experience? I
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone experience anxiety or other side effects taking Singulair ?

Not familiar with the med. Personal experience with the after effects.

First come pain or other type symptoms/then comes worry/which then leads to anxiety, which then is called: "being in a Catch 22". The more you worry, the more anxiety, the more real or not so real scary symptoms, and round and round hou go.

Time to see a doctor or other professional.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@pggoody wrote:
Has anyone experienced side effects from taking Singulair? I know someone who had bei taking it for a year with no problems. She decided to go off it for a few months to see if she could manage her allergies without taking, but had to go back on it . It has been about a month but she is having feelings of anxiety and chest tightness. It seems to be effecting her sleeping somewhat. Course that may be due to the increased anxiety and her concern over how she is feeling. Now she is wondering if it is the medication. Anyone have similar experience? I

I have not, no. Anxiety can be an uncommon side effect of montelukast, but I've never experienced it. If she thinks ANY prescribed medication is causing a side effect she feels uncomfortable with, she needs to see her doctor to discuss it and perhaps switch medications. That's always the thing to do and the sooner the better. 

Respected Contributor

It's actually a pretty common side effect. Not trying to contradict anyone, but I have bad allergies and have researched quite a few meds. It increased my anxiety. Nasonex and Flonase can do the same thing even though they claim it's not systemic. Askapatient.com is a good site to check side effects listed by actual patients though keep in mind that people that don't experience bad side effects generally don't post.
Honored Contributor

I was taking singular for about 2 years and it was doing very well at controlling my asthma but I started to have signs of renal failure on my blood work so my doctor d/c it. Too bad because it was working so well for my asthma. The only other side effect I had was being very drowsy so I would take it when I was going to bed, and the drowsiness would be gone by morning.