Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone else here take one 10/325 Ocycodone per day for pain exceeding level 5?

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

@SeaMaiden. Yes and 151949 is nurse as am I, op is saying all the same things a drug seeker says and does. I can't take motrin, tramadol does not work, pt does not help, etc.

We do not know the other side of this story. I hear some malingering also.

I am not saying her pain is not real, I do understand as I have 2 back surgeries also. So probably she is pain but is not open to trying other modalities. 

Malinger is a rough fit if a fit at all to describe the OP.

malingerer-Malingering is the fabricating of symptoms of mental or physical disorders for a variety of "secondary gain" motives, which may include financial compensation (often tied to fraud); avoiding school, work or military service; obtaining drugs; getting lighter criminal sentences; or simply to attract attention or sympathy 

So what does a person say if they are in pain and have tried other modalities to not come across as a drug addict?  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone else here take one 10/325 Ocycodone per day for pain exceeding level 5?

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

@Suebdoo 10 is the dose of oxycodone, 325 is tylenol.

Oxy is a form of codiene, 

@Nomorebirthdays thanks!  So that's Percocet.  My dad takes that 5/250.  I have to limit Tylenol so that's why I get just oxycodone.

I agree with some who have said you build a tolerance over time.  Which means upped dosages for it to work.  A pain doctor works with you and monitors.

Also agree that there is no high if you are in pain.  

@sfnative I wish you luck meeting with the new pain doctor.  Don't act desperate because they will think you maybe don't need it, just want it.  I'd think your medical records would be sufficient evidence for them that pain exists.

Trusted Contributor

@Suebdoo I understand that true addicts chew multiple tablets at one time to get high. I have taken my share of vicodan over the years and never have gotten high taking it as prescribed. I do well now on tramadol and tylenol. 

I would have to look it up but oxycodone has different chemical make up from percodan.

Tylenol acts as an antagonist.

Trusted Contributor

I am on an interthecal pain pump (morphine) and 30 mg oxycodone for break-thru pain. I do not rely on an internist for my pain care though, I go to a pain management doctor. Internists are not as versed and some not as comfotable in pain management. I am in pallitive care (a step above hospice) as there is nothing more can be done. Pain level is 10 most of the time and am wheelchair bound.. Have RSD Type 2 aka causalgia, polynueropathy, spinal stenosis, contractures, and a host of other poo I dont feel the need to mention here because it is private. I do not know what you are looking for here though. My "oxy" experience" is a personal one, has nothing to do with you or your issues. I do not like taking these meds as I am very well aware that opiods do not really help  nerve related pain. Was not until I ended up in hospice in 2009 that I agreed to take any of these meds. Is all I will say here. I do feel for you and wish you the best.

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse  So well said.  I could write a book and have seriously considered.   There is a huge population that is in unacceptable pain and are not able to get any relief due to those who have abused drug use.  Not only the person who is "living" a doomed sentence, but the families and loved ones are hugely impacted.  Yes, there is a focus on anyone taking pain drugs and the doctors who prescribe them are closely watched to the point of not prescribing.  All the other alternative treatments have not made a nano second of relief in pain for my loved one.  "Pain Management" is a joke and a money maker....anything will be prescribed at high cost other than an opioid.  It is a deplorable demoralizing situation.  Seems like those who are after a "high" have access to drugs; whereas, those who are truly in pain for good reason are being denied any form of opioid.  It is not an easy fix and, unfortunately, some will resort to desperate measures due to no ability to assuage their unrelenting pain.  It is a challenge to understand this travesty unless you have lived with the victims experiencing this level of pain with no hope of resolution.  

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

It's a travesty how everyone is under suspicion. I think the dose you're own is very reasonable. I had chronic pain for 10 years and was on and off narcotics after trying injections, nsaids, gabapentin, amitryptaline, lyrica, prolotherapy, chiropractic, blocks, acupuncture, PT, etc. It helped me manage the pain and get out of bed and function. It never occurred to take a pain pill if I wasn't in pain and never has during all those years. Fortunately I had a doctor who wasn't punitive and didn't treat me like a drug addict. I can't say that for most providers though and it's the fear of not being able to alleviate severe pain that may come across as desperation and drug seeking. Of course, living with untreated or undertreated pain will make you feel desperate.

If the doctors had something else I could take I absolutely would have but sadly there aren't many options other than what I've tried. I'd eat a car tire if I had too. It's not the high we seek, it's the reduction in pain and I never got euphoria from anything. 

You shouldn't have to suffer because others abuse them. 

If only doctors could live a day with your pain, I think they'd be more compassionate. 

Honored Contributor

@Stormygirl  My heart broke as I read your post.  I am with you girl in my heart.  I do not discuss personal matters on social media, but I can read between the lines.  I am sending you love and light; wishing you consolation to whatever degree possible.  

Trusted Contributor

sfnative---Do Not let anyone lessen your pain.  When I read some of your feedback, I knew exactly what you were feeling.  Some people have absolutely no idea what 24/7 pain for years feels like. 1 tablet a day does not a junkie make.  Even the medical professionals have no idea about what is going on when someone is in pain.  They just don't want to be branded as drs that just write scripts.   tedEbear

Respected Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

@SeaMaiden. Yes and 151949 is nurse as am I, op is saying all the same things a drug seeker says and does. I can't take motrin, tramadol does not work, pt does not help, etc.

We do not know the other side of this story. I hear some malingering also.

I am not saying her pain is not real, I do understand as I have 2 back surgeries also. So probably she is pain but is not open to trying other modalities. 

@sfnative @SeaMaiden. I can't believe your responses. A lot of people (me included) can't take NSAIDs due to GI bleeding. Besides NSAIDs are much more damaging than opioids. Tramadol is a joke as a pain reliever and has more issues than not. If you don't think one 10 mg oxycodone can help a person in pain without being psychological, you are wrong. Opioids used as directed are actually very safe and much less damaging to the body than other drugs. I guess you want to shove NSAIDs down people. Never mind that the eat up your GI tract and stomach and cause heart problems. But ah, it's not an evil opioid.And what's drug seeking about wanting to continue a med that's helping you? Good grief. Nurses??  Lord help. 

Honored Contributor

@sfnative

I'm sorry to hear of your chronic pain, a close acquaintance of mine as well.

I can't take semi-synthetic thebain derivatives, None, Nada.  They make me barf every 16 to 20 min until they clear my system.

Try telling THAT to a Doc!  Every one of them has to 'see' for themselves!

Hope you can figure a way to keep doing what YOU know works for you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@Reba055. I guess you missed the part where I said her pain was real and I see nothing wrong with a 70 year old with multiple health problems taking narcotics. My point was that there are a hundred different drugs and a hundred combos of things that may help.

At no time did I say take nsaids. BTW tramadol is a narcotic and works very well for some.

Nurses? What are your qualifications?