Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone else here take one 10/325 Ocycodone per day for pain exceeding level 5?

@151949

My IQ is 151.

I know placebo effect when I see it or when I personally experience it.

Believe me when I tell you that this ONE tablet provides pain relief for 6 plus hours.  This pain relief does NOT originate from my psyche.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone else here take one 10/325 Ocycodone per day for pain exceeding level 5?

It's a travesty how everyone is under suspicion. I think the dose you're own is very reasonable. I had chronic pain for 10 years and was on and off narcotics after trying injections, nsaids, gabapentin, amitryptaline, lyrica, prolotherapy, chiropractic, blocks, acupuncture, PT, etc. It helped me manage the pain and get out of bed and function. It never occurred to take a pain pill if I wasn't in pain and never has during all those years. Fortunately I had a doctor who wasn't punitive and didn't treat me like a drug addict. I can't say that for most providers though and it's the fear of not being able to alleviate severe pain that may come across as desperation and drug seeking. Of course, living with untreated or undertreated pain will make you feel desperate.

If the doctors had something else I could take I absolutely would have but sadly there aren't many options other than what I've tried. I'd eat a car tire if I had too. It's not the high we seek, it's the reduction in pain and I never got euphoria from anything. 

You shouldn't have to suffer because others abuse them. 

If only doctors could live a day with your pain, I think they'd be more compassionate. 

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

I have never used anything stronger than aspirin.i have a friend whose husband was using that oxi for a back problem and he did become addicted.He is in his sixties and was caught stealing the pain meds of retired people that he was taking to their appointments.I don't know anything about the drug but maybe they can prescribe something less addicting for you if they don't want you to continue with the oxi.i hope you can get this resolved and feel less pain.

@dex

I am not addicted to this medication.  I've gone off it several times as a test to see if indeed I was addicted to one tablet a day.  I am not.  The pain I have is level 5-7 and intractable and cannot take NSAIDS and have Chronic Kidney Disease.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  I'm very sorry for your loss. 🙁

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I take two a day of the 10/325 mg of hydrocodone--every 12 hours.  Not sure what the difference is between that an oxycodone.   It has really helped my lower back pain.  I go to a pain management dr. and asked him about my dosage because I thought that was a lot.  He says it's a low level dosage and not to worry about that.  I've been taking it for about 2 years and will continue.  I'd find another dr. who specializes in pain management.  I did have to sign a form saying I wouldn't use marijuana or they wouldn't be able to prescribe it anymore.  Medical and now recreational marijuana use is now legal in our state.  Not that I plan to!  I don't drink nor smoke either.  I'm your age also.

Esteemed Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@sfnative I live in MA and they will prescribe my husband pain meds without question and his back and disc issues are 1/3 what mine are. But not me. They seem to have the attitude that every housewife is a narcotic abusing junkie.  In fact, I'm the opposite. I'm a pill hoarder. Most of my pain narcotics expire because I save them for an emergency. Unless I am immobile with pain, I save them in case it gets worse. But it doesn't matter to the doctors, in this state, they are extremely sexist where pain meds are concerned.

@PurpleBunny

I'm really sorry to hear about the sexist attitude.  That really sounds like the 50s and 60s.

This rather new "pain meds are bad" laws/attitudes, has me very concerned with regard to patients in hospitals or hospice, who really need major pain relief.  When I first started working a med-surg floor in the early 80s, I was grief-stricken that 80% of my cancer patients were suffering from levels of pain that were absolutely nothing short of sinful.  Physicians at that time believed so strongly against addiction in the terminally ill patient that this patient population was terribly under-prescribed.   Believe it.  It happened.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949

Cannot take tramadol.  See a new pain doc next month.  Horrible pain doc resources in this city in which we now live.  Took 2.5 years to find this one.  Hoping for the best.  Have neuro and kidney complications, so am always a challenge.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

Don't take it personally, there is a big effort to only give those types of drugs for acute pain after surgery or acute injury like broken bones. 

It's because of all the abuse and meth labs nationwide.

I don't want to dimish your pain but 33 years is a long time to be on narcotics and not be addicted. There are other less addicting drugs and pain doctors that's all they do is manage pain. 

@Nomorebirthdays

I have not been on narcotics for 33 years! 

Re the chronic migraine, in the beginning fiorinal with codeine, then onto a successtion of NSAIDs over the years.   Took Mobic, terrific NSAID for my chronic migraine, for over 12 years, but it brought me into a state of chronic kidney disease.  Finally settled on 2 years of Botox, which was wonderful for 2 years of no migraine pain, until my body developed a resistance to the toxin.

I also have huge spine issues from L2 through S1: Spondy, facet syndrome, DDD, osteophytes, 3 bulges, moderate to severe stenosis, depending on the level.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

I really believe that 1 oxy a day - if that is really all you are taking - is having any more effect than a psychological one. 

@sfnative  I agree with 151949.  If you have so much pain, and  just one 0xy a day seems to help, part of it might be psychological. After taking it a long while, your body gets use to it and it does  not work as well....

I bet you could look for something  that might work better and REALLY work 24 hours a day that is easier to get.  Have you looked into Chinese herbs? I found some that really helped me. You should look into someone that knows natural medicine including Chinese herbs. 

If you feel you are in a corner you need to stop feeling like a victim and turn it around.

You asked for suggestions and then tell poster  151949  that they are wrong saying it might be psychological  and  that you have a IQ of 151.....  if you know everything....and are SO SMART why as ask us dummies anything? 

Esteemed Contributor

@PurpleBunny  That's disgusting! Since they have clamped down so hard on these drugs in my state, heroin use has skyrocketed.

What do they expect people to do?

I thank G_d every day that I don't have chronic pain......can't imagine how frustrating this is.