Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone else have the good fortune of getting off diabetes medications ?

[ Edited ]

So far down 70 pounds and counting.

Off Metformin and statin. Cardiologist said to come back in a couple of months to reduce or eliminate BP meds (2). Last BP reading was 110/70. The knees are greatly improved. A1C: 5.3.

Honored Contributor

One of the reasons I originally lost weight was because I figured it was ridiculous to be taking Metforamin and not doing all I could to make it work in my favor.

I had actually stopped it somewhat before I buckled down to weight loss, and my weight or blood sugar never went too far beyond "pre-diabetic" but very clean eating omitted  the need for it altogether.

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

So far down 70 pounds and counting.

Off Metformin and statin. Cardiologist said to come back in a couple of months to reduce or eliminate BP meds (2). Last BP reading was 110/70. The knees are greatly improved. A1C: 5.3.

My BP has been unexpectedly elevated since getting Covid. I'm going to have to talk to my PCP about it during my next visit.

I just heard something about Covid survivors being subject to PTSD, so maybe THAT has something to do with the elevated BP too.

Glad your knees are being good to you!

Trusted Contributor

I was interested in berberine because of osteoporosis and went to the Life Extension website for information.  Based on the 2nd paragraph I decided not to take it.

Berberine

Berberine is a plant alkaloid used extensively in ancient Chinese and Japanese medicine for use in promoting bone health (Li 1999, Li 2008). Animal and laboratory studies reveal that berberine prevents decrease in bone mineral density by inhibiting the activities of bone-resorbing cells (Li 1999). Used as a dietary supplement in experimental models, berberine resulted in an increase in bone mineral density (Li 2003). Berberine also increases differentiation of bone-forming cells through activation of cellular signaling pathways (Lee 2008, Xu 2010).

Although berberine has been studied in human clinical trials and shown to have several metabolic benefits, concerns about long-term use of berberine have been raised on the basis of certain preclinical studies (Kysenius 2014; Mikes 1985; Mikes 1983). Some evidence suggests that long-term berberine use, especially at high doses, may impair particular aspects of cellular metabolism in specific types of cells. The implications of this preclinical research are yet to be determined by long-term human clinical trials, therefore Life Extension currently recommends short-term use of berberine.

Honored Contributor

I never became a true diabetic, but I was borderline or pre diabetic.  When I changed the way I eat my A1C normalized.