Super Contributor

Re: Anyone else have a hard time sleeping due to pain?

Tylenol PM. Has antihistamine in it that makes you sleep and the Tylenol dulls the pain. Take about 20 min before bed and you'll be out like a light. Works especially well for people like me who get naturally drowsy after taking the regular Tylenol anyway. Adding the antihistamine in the PM version really keeps me asleep all night.

Honored Contributor

On 12/17/2014 Madisson said:
On 12/17/2014 chickenbutt said:

Madisson - Thank You for that information. I'm willing to try just about anything. Fortunately, I don't get it that often but when I do it's brutal. It seems to be around the knee joint for me. Would putting it on the bottom of the foot still apply? I don't know if I couljd sleep with a sock on but I'm willing to try! I do have some Vicks Vapo Rub on hand.

That stick sounds like an even better idea. I don't know about this Dollar Tree store - they probably have it around here somewhere. I'll check. Is it something I could just get from Amazon?

Chickenbutt, I think it will help your restless legs no matter what portion of the leg. The reason I even tried it was out of desperation. I read that doctors discovered that applying Mentholatum to the soles of children's feet help stop coughs. I can't sleep with socks on either. When I use Mentholatum, I just wear a pair of what we used to call "peds"...those really low stretchy liners for shoes. Hope you get some relief from the RLS.

Oh yeah, good idea! Thank You so much! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

On 12/15/2014 TootyJane said: I have been dealing with chronic back pain for 10 years now. Two years ago my shoulder started to tingle occasionally and my neck hurt bSaw my ortho for regular visit and happened to mention it to him. He had me x-rayed within minutes! Turns out I have two herniated disks now. I do have arthritis in back, neck and hands. I wake up at night due to the pain. I see a pain management doctor regularly. Other things such as PT, acupuncture, water therapy did nothing to help. I will say that one item that helps with the neck pain is the MyPillow I purchased the very first time it was a TSV. I can work with it so my neck is fully supported when I get into bed. I love that these pillows are machine washable and dryable.

I also use 'MyPillow' and it works wonders for my neck - that and cervical traction and pain pills. Plus, I also take Benadryl before bedtime.

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Honored Contributor

During the summer I was being awakened at night with foot pain. When I discussed my particular pain with the podiatrist, he attributed the cramping to my needing to do more exercises to stretch my calves!. Stretch more , bend more, walk more and see what happens. Hate it when they're right! But I'm sleeping through the night for a while now and I'm relieved it was so easy - this time! I've had other pains that made me know what those in chronic pain get depressed.

Super Contributor

Thank-you for all the helpful great suggestions! Going to write them down and read up on some. You guys are wonderful! Smiley Happy
Frequent Contributor

Hello. Since 2007 I had a massive heart attack leaving heart failure. Two years laters I was diagnosed with diabetes, and 2012 I was diagnosed with ms. I have left side lower rib area pain since then. It has never gone away. I take pain pills, sleeping pills, and muscle relaxant pills. The pain is on the same side that I have slept on for 52 years. Pain is also very emotionally
Super Contributor

On 12/17/2014 momjules said: Hello. Since 2007 I had a massive heart attack leaving heart failure. Two years laters I was diagnosed with diabetes, and 2012 I was diagnosed with ms. I have left side lower rib area pain since then. It has never gone away. I take pain pills, sleeping pills, and muscle relaxant pills. The pain is on the same side that I have slept on for 52 years. Pain is also very emotionally
Sending ((hugs)). Pain is so difficult....you have been through more than anyone should.