Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone currently on Weight Watchers?

If my recollection is right, @gidgetgh, you lost weight successfully on your own, including a daily treat.  Maybe you'd be better off doing that again.

I never could get into WW: the rules, the meetings,the branded products and the money.

Honored Contributor

I would never pay to lose weight. Put a pair of tennis shoes on and walk! I began my weight loss journey about 3 years ago now and have lost 70 lbs. I reached my goal a year ago and now I'm in maintenance. I have changed my eating to low carb, not no carb because I could never do that. I still have to walk my 5 miles a day. I need to move to keep my weight off. But to pay a business for me to do all of the work? Ridiculous. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Loves Purple wrote:

I joined WW in January. I answered the questions about my likes and dislikes. There are many zero point foods. For me it's everything for salads, vegetables. I eat chicken, fish, shrimp, lunch meat, eggs. I drink my coffee with half and half every morning for only 2 pts of my 24 allowed daily. For me what's high in points is butter, olive oil, Mayo,and others. I use lite mayo, plain yogurt, skinny girl salad dressing. Beef is higher in points but vegetables and fruits are zero so I fill up on those. I eat SF,FF, Jello instant pudding with a couple of tablespoons of regular Cool Whip. I've had pizza and pasta but have to adjust accordingly. I eat out drink a glass of wine (4pts). I like that there's a long list of restaurants that show the points of the meals. I've been on it

18 wks and lost 15lbs. I feel so much better but I thought I'd lose more by now. If I was a man I'd have dropped 50 lbs. I think I'm paying $16 per month and I do online, no meetings. Hope this helps and sorry so long. 

@Loves Purple - thank you so much for actually answering my question. You gave me great information. Thanks again.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

If my recollection is right, @gidgetgh, you lost weight successfully on your own, including a daily treat.  Maybe you'd be better off doing that again.

I never could get into WW: the rules, the meetings,the branded products and the money.

@tansy - good memory @tansy .  And that's what I am doing again.  It was just a painfully slow process and I thought Weight Watchers might be better this time, but I think I am going to go it alone.  I am an extremely picky eater-I won't eat seafood at all, etc.  I'll get it done. I was just trying to figure out if WW might be a better choice without actually paying first to discover it wasn't. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh 

My opinion, for what it is worth🤣, is that you are making the proper decision.  You have the ability to do it on your own and do not need WW to get it done.  

When I was successful with the exchange program, back in the day, I needed the discipline and the accountability to having someone else weigh me each week.  I was also blessed with a most wonderful WW leader and the other ladies in my weekly meeting night were also great!  

I really learned a lot about eating properly and I can now do it for myself too.  No need to learn a different set of rules and worry about "points".  And I have never had a better WW leader than I had.  They were all so uninspiring compared to my original leader.  But I am not sure they even hold WW meetings any longer in my area.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Super Contributor

Dr.  Phil thru his mentor under the bus when he said recently, "diets don't work". Lady O owns WW and have you seen her lately? I'ts gotta be a life style change. Protein veg and some fruit. Leave the carbs at the grocery store

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't read all the responses, but noticed some references to all the fish and liver while skimming.  That was an archaic program, "the exchanges," WW got rid of it more than 20 years ago.

Now you basically eat what foods you like, within reason.  You're given a points allowance for the day, with extras for the week so you can have some treats, and you can also "buy back" points by exercising and burning calories.  The program nudges you to eat more fruits, vegetables, clean carbs and lean proteins.

With the current program, Personal Points, you take an assessment in the app.  You can choose from a small number of healthy, nutrient dense foods to eat as Zero Points foods, meaning you don't count them.  Examples are plain fat free yogurt, oatmeal, chicken breast.

I love it and have been very successful with it.  Good luck!

PS, if you join with your friend, and your friend quits going but you like it, you also have the option of doing it online and not attending meetings.   You weigh in at home and can attend Zoom meetings if you want, but you don't have to.

Trusted Contributor

I joined Weight Watchers in February.  I was on previous versions of WW 10 years ago.  Currently I am online only 10 years ago I was part of a Weight Watchers at work group.  Having the group accountability made it much easier.  I don't see the current version of Personal Points to be that different from what the plan was 10 years ago.  There is NO recommendation specifically on what you should eat each week and no designated meal plan. 

Each day you have assigned number of points to eat.  Most vegetables are 0.  You can have points added for exerise and eating non-starch vegetables.  The counting is very easy but I personally don't pay attention to the points which are added.

The plan is "supposed" to guide you towards healthier options.  I emphasis "supposed" because the current marketing says you can eat anything which I feel is dangerous and can lead people to not change their eating habits.  Also many rely on Sugar Free and Fat Free foods which can be highly processed and whether those are really good for you is personal preference (I find most of these products bother my stomach).

I was diagnosed as diabetic so I was able to put that info into my profile and that impacts the points which carbs and sugary foods are for me.    Being diabetic and not wanting to take insulin its much easier for me to be accountable on my own making good choices.  So far I've lost 17 lbs which while less than I would have liked to lose at this point at least I'm moving in the right direction.

Honored Contributor

Lol, @Auntie CC , Oprah does not own WW.  She's on their board of directors as of three or four years ago.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)