Occasional Contributor

Re: Anyone Using or Ever Used Restasis for Dry Eyes?

Yes I did once but it actually did not effect my eyes much.

Honored Contributor

I did that.  All of the medicine I take dehydrates me to the point where I take a medicine to hydrate me (especially my mouth).  It really works, told my dentist about it and he told his Uncle.  When I saw him he thanked me.

I stopped taking or using it.  I try not to take a lot of medicine but it get really hard when you're almost 70.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I used it for a few years with great success. After some med changes I was able to stop. I'm having issues again so I'll probably go back on it. 

Super Contributor

I just started taking it yesterday (2 drops) and one today.   All day today my eyes were bloodshot and burning and stinging.   I called the pharacist and he said that is not right.  He advised me to stop it for now until I talk to my doctor on Mondayi.

Did anyone else have stinging and burning for hours after taking it?    Does your eyes have to get used to it for it to work?   I'm so frustrated and beside myself.

I can't function  when the eyes burn and sting so bad.   All I did today was take a shower about 3 hours after the drops.   I can't help it if some shampoo gets in  my eye, but it shouldn't sting and burn for hours after. 

I may have an allergy to the ingredients.   I just can't bear to take more and be worse off tomorrow.

Did anyone have these issues, too?

Super Contributor

I want to add that I have used eye lubricant drops all day to help, but my eyes are still burning and sore.

Valued Contributor

Seabuckthorn oil worked for me.

Honored Contributor

For anyone with dry eyes, I highly recommend Omega-3 capsules.  I have an auto-immune condition that also tends to dry my eyes.  My rheumatologist recommended NOW Super Omega  EPA.  I find I like the brand as well as the fact that the container has a snap-on lid instead of a screw-on lid.

I suggest starting with a few, then gradually up your dosage until you either reach "bowel tolerance" or your eyes begin to feel better.  I take 8 a day.  i realize that seems like a lot, but it's not if you have an illness or condition that needs it.  My eyes feel it if I skip more than a day.  If you are perfectly healthy, obviously you wouldn't need as much.

At least with this, you will be doing some good for your joints, and your heart, and more, and all without the side effects of drugs.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Super Contributor

Now the dr wants me to start using the Lotemax (an eye drop steroid) with the Restasis.

I guess my eyes are so dry that I have to use the anti-inflammatory ahead of the Restasis each time.    

Has anyone encountered this issue?    If you do use Lotemax with the Restasis has it worked?    Does it sting and burn less?

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry you are still having problems. I hope you find some relief soon.I hope the new combo works. 

Honored Contributor

I have severe dry eye, too.  I used Restasis for a long time, but it didn't help.  As others have said, it's very expensive.  I have tear duct plugs (I think that's what they're called), and on my eye doctor's advice I use Flaxseed Oil capsules.  I think they have helped more than anything, although it took months before I saw any improvement.  I also use the gel eyedrops.  Good luck finding something that will help you.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau