Trusted Contributor

Anyone Using or Ever Used Restasis for Dry Eyes?

I've been diagnosed with dry eye disease.   I had to stop wearing my contacts and have been on steroid drops for months.   They are weaning me off of the drops and want me to go on Restatis.   

I am in such bad shape without contacts since my eye glass prescription is old and my vision with the glasses is not vivid.   It's so hard even to be on the computer as it's blurry.  They can't give me a refractive exam until they have the dry eyes under control.   I'm going nuts.  Plus, I'm out of work right now and it makes job hunting a very frustrating experience. I'm dying to wear contacts again but they'll have to fit me with daily wear instead of what I had been wearing for years.  I had to go to a new eye doctor because the old one retired and I found out he left me in the older brand of lenses for too long without updating them with better ones that may have prevented this from happening.

I've read both good and bad reviews on Restasis.  The Q Boards have savvy and caring people here and I wanted to ask those of you who might offer me some information on your experiences. 

Thank you so much.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Using or Ever Used Restasis for Dry Eyes?

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry. I know it is miserable & messes with your quality of life.

I never tried Restasis. When I was diagnosed my eye doctor wanted me to get tear duct plugs. I tried temporary ones but they did not help. I wear contacts, too. Mine are ones you can wear 24/7 but I take mine out at night & replace every few weeks.

I ended up trying Andrew Lessman Ultimate Eye Support supplements & was surprised to find they resolved the dry eye problem. I went from needing drops all the time to not needing them at all. The computer screen went from a complete blur to perfectly clear. My horrible night vision disappeared & night driving is no longer a problem. This may or may not help you but it might be worth a try. 

Trusted Contributor

Thank you Willdob3.

I was wondering about supplements.  Someone also told me to get Omega-3 Fish Oil Pills, too.   I'm currently laid off of a long time job, so I have to watch what I buy.

The eye doc said the contacts had caused bumps under my eyelid causing dry eye.   The steriod drops and lack of using contacts have helped that problem.  Before, I'd get up in the morning with filliments on my eye from the eyelid stuff and it felt like sharp pins in my eyes.   I sleep now with Purelube ointment in my eyes so they get lubricated all night and it does help.

I doubt the doc will let me wear contacts yet.   He wants to clear up the issue that they caused.   Apparently, the old timer doc I had just asked me if the lenses were comfortable and didn't improve on them.  They were the old Accuvue 2.

If I do get to be in contacts again, he said it would be the daily wear.

Thanks again for your reply.   I'm glad to hear a success story.

Honored Contributor

I've used Restasis for years. My eyes are still dry but who knows how dry they'd be if I stopped the Restasis. I also had to stop wearing my contacts because of my dry eyes. That made me sad. 

Restasis is is pretty expensive and each vial is supposed to be single use. My doctor told me to use each vial till its empty, which for me is three days. Helps a lot with the cost. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

I've been using it in one eye only for over 3 years without any issues. Like gidgetgh, I use up each vial.

Valued Contributor

I've been on Restasis since June and have not seen any improvement.  I had both cataracts removed last year and my eyes are just as blurry as before the surgery.  Eye doctor said I have severe dry eye but so far no improvement.  Yes, they are expensive, even with my insurance, but my doctor told me to keep them in the 'fridge and I can use each vial until empty.   docsgirl

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have suffered from dry eyes for years, and it is a miserable condition. I have used Restasis for two years. My left eye still bothers me depending on the day. I think Restasis has made a difference for me. GenTeal for Severe Dry Eye is a wonderful help. Some of the overnight ointments that are like vaseline can stop up your eyelid oil glands over time, and make dry eye worse.  Also Thera tears Nutrition for eyes is good to take, and not expensive. It is sold in the eye section of most drug stores. Steroid eye drops are not good to use long term as they can raise eye pressure, and cause cataracts. Dry eyes are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get. 

Honored Contributor

My youngest son had laser surgery on his youthful eyes so he wouldn't have to wear glasses (he was about 25).  It was not a success.  Over the course of 5 years he had to wear glasses again AND had dry eyes.  He's used Restasis successfully for about 4 years and his eyes improved so much he is now wearing daily disposable contacts. He's very happy with how the Restasis worked for him (the laser surgery, not so much!)..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I've been on restasis for dry eyes and had no problem with it. But you need to know, that Restasais is not a cure for dry eyes and when you stop using it, your dry eyes will come back. My eye dr recommended tear duct plugs which I haven't done yet. I am on the script eye drops right now and have been for a few months. Also use other OTC drops thru the day too. I wear glasses but can imagine what a drag it is not wearing your contacts.

Respected Contributor

My eyes are very dry and have been for several years. I'm 81. Tear duct plugs helped me a lot, I can tell when I've lost one. Right now my corneas are what the doctor called a "mess". Like they've been sanded. He's had me on Restasis for several months. I use a new vial in the morning, then refrigerate what's left over and use it at night. My insurance covers it with a $20. co-pay. He also has just put me on a new OTC drop called retaine. And Optive in the individual vials without preservatives. At the moment, I'm also using a steroid, but can only do that for 2 weeks. I go to see him again on Halloween. I can tell that the steroid is making a positive difference, but don't know what will happen after I stop it.

I just ordered a humidifier. Doc said it's a good idea, so I'll give it a try. My cataracts were removed in 2008.

willdob3, I'm interested in your story about how Andrew Lessman's product helped you. Might look into it.

All the best to each of you suffering from this chronic condition.

snappy Smiley Happy