Trusted Contributor

I've been diagnosed with severe dry eye and it's driving me nuts.  I can't wear my contacts anymore (and I hate glasses).

The doctor wants me to try Restatsis, but with my lousy insurance, it's $400 for a 30 day supply of the drops.   One doctor told me that even though the directions say to use one vial once and throw away, he said you can get a few uses out of the vials and extend the length of time the prescription lasts.    It's still way too expensive IMO.

Anyone using Restatsis, is this accurate?    Do you extend the use of the product?   Also, are you having any luck with the drops to treat dry eye?

Finally, they also suggested Omega 3 Fish Oil to help the dry eye and to order it from a place called PRN that has the best.  It's not cheap either. 

Just wanted to know what others with this issue do or have done.

Thanks.

Contributor

Yes, I have found Restasis to be a tremendous help to me with my dry eyes. It is the only thing that works for me. The price is ridiculously high for me, too, but the drops can be used for at least two days once opened and sometimes three with no problem. Just don't touch the opening to your eyelashes or finger or anything else for that matter because it becomes contaminated and has to be tossed out. I can make 30 vials last 2-3 months so it helps with the cost. I've used them for 10+/- years and wouldn't be without them. Truly, if they work for you, you will love them. Not everyone benefits from them because the Restasis works to stimulate the tear duct gland and for some reason it doesn't work for everyone. If you can manage it finacially I'd give it a try. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Due to an eye infection that caused dry eyes, I had to use Restatsis for a year.  My corneas were slightly damaged which Restatsis helped healed.

I kept the package in my fridge.  I was able to get 2 usage out of each capsules since I had to use them once in the am & once in the pm.  The packet comes w/an eye dropper which doubles as a holder for the capsules.

Of course the coldness on the eyeball was strange but I got use to it.

My insurance covered 100%.

It does take 30 days for Restatsis to take effect.  You will feel a difference after about a week if you use the drops twice a day.

There are over the counter eye drops that does the job Restatsis does.  Ask your pharmacy for recommendations.  Mine recommended Gen Teal eye drops & the Gen Teal Night Gel.  Both are excellent & cost under $10.  Something to think about when your rx runs out.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

Yes! I also have severe dry eye and it's the only thing that works for me. Other eye drops are fine in between the am & pm Restassis drops but I rarely need them now. My doc told me that I could get 3 days per vial and she was right so I only need a new supply every few months. It costs me $80. with my insurance so I'm ok w/ that. It's worth every penny. 

Esteemed Contributor

@DARING GREATLY wrote:

I've been diagnosed with severe dry eye and it's driving me nuts.  I can't wear my contacts anymore (and I hate glasses).

The doctor wants me to try Restatsis, but with my lousy insurance, it's $400 for a 30 day supply of the drops.   One doctor told me that even though the directions say to use one vial once and throw away, he said you can get a few uses out of the vials and extend the length of time the prescription lasts.    It's still way too expensive IMO.

Anyone using Restatsis, is this accurate?    Do you extend the use of the product?   Also, are you having any luck with the drops to treat dry eye?

Finally, they also suggested Omega 3 Fish Oil to help the dry eye and to order it from a place called PRN that has the best.  It's not cheap either. 

Just wanted to know what others with this issue do or have done.

Thanks.

______

No Daring Greatly,

I do not have 'dry Eye', but there is someone who can help you in the event she comes on.

I can tell you from a medical assessment that Dry Eye is brought on by changes in the quantity 'or' quality of your tears. It can be a CHRONIC (ongoing) medical condition- often called _OCULAR surface disease_- caused by factors such as aging, hormonal changes (menopause), surgery, CONTACT LENSES, or certain medications.

Dry Eyes occurs when the tear glands stop making tears or produce `poor quality tears`, OR the the eye becomes very dry and irritation occurs.

Tears maintain the health of the FRONT of your eyes and help provide clear vision. Also, Dry eye can make it difficult to perform some activities, like a computer or reading for lomg periods of time. It slows or can  lower your tolerance for dry environments, such as the air inside an office, or on an airplane. 

You possibly have irritation, dryness, grittiness, blurred vision, scratchiness, burning, stinging, TIRED EYES, along with {excessive tearing}.

I have a patient /friend here, my city, that recently (6 months ago) was diagnosed with Dry Eye. She was also shocked to learn of the cost of Restasis.  She had insurance, though. Big difference.  You are correct: the cost is around$400,00 -$500,00 per distribution/ bottle/vial.

Also ask about Systane for Dry Eye. Both are the only ones (meds) that I am that familiar with.

I do know that Systane has a variety of products that goes along with the drops. There are (of course) the Syatane lubricant balance eye drop (Rx), the lid wipes for cleansing, and the eye GEL.

I have heard that this medication / drops is preferred by many Ophthalmologists on a scale of 8 - fro 1-10  .....almost all medications for the eye through a Medical Doctor treating diseases of the eyes is/ are expensive. If this continues to become worse, I would have someone at the doctor's office assist anyone with securing a better insurance plan, if the condition becomes worse. Think about this: what if you had zero insurance.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but until someone with [dry eyes ]comes on, this is the best I can tell you.

Ref: the recommendations of Sytane would be on a scale to the 1-10 level.  I would like to offer this bit of information: there is with -Systane ...the Ultra lubricant eye drops {symptom relief designed for aqueous of the mucin layer Deficiency of the 'Dry Eye'} 

I am so sorry to hear that you have this condition, and I know how very expensive the medicine is.

Nothing in medicines is INexpensive, especially those brand names.

Those that I do know have insurance which pays (most do ) a whopping bit of change for the patient's coverage. 

I am hopeful someone will come on, having the same condition- as yours, providing more information that may help.

Yes, what you have heard about Restatsis IS CORRECT.

Omega 3 are the best food supplement that may be beneficial. any foods having Omegas. Any of the eye Support supplements are very beneficial. Lessman has a good one; I heard about that particular one about two years ago. HSN.

My best to you as you learn more, common ground information, while you go through this. It is not a rare condition.

I will be happy to teach you more about the eye and what happens, having Dry Eye but believe you have to get through this first. I would consider wearing glasses at this time. That would omit the irritation from the contact lenses. 

I will provide all & anything else I know, later. Cleansing is very important in what you will use.

I definitely know that many -here- can walk you through this. Having {IT} themselves. I am more in to the anatomy and what is occurring.

NAES

'''''all of my best.

_____

Valued Contributor

I was diganosed with severe dry eye in June and my doctor put me on Restasis as well as another drop that they sell in their office.  My insurance paid a good portion of my Restasis so it was very affordable for me.  I was not aware that you could extend the life of the Restasis as my doctor told me to discard it after the evening use.  So far, I haven't seen much of a difference but she said it takes about 3 months to kick in.  It's been 3 months.

On the top of my package it states that you should remove contact lenses before using Restasis and reinsert after 15 minutes.

I was made to understand the dry eye is a llife-long condition.  I surely hope not as I hate these drops.  May we all get some relief.   docsgirl

Honored Contributor

I've been using Restasis for years.  I use the vial until it's totally empty- about 3 days I think.  It's too expensive to use one vial each time.  

My eyes are still really, really dry.  I wore contacts for over 35 years and then finally had to give them up.  I miss wearing them, but my eyes just don't produce enough tears to wear them at all anymore.

As I said, my eyes are still really dry, but who knows how much drier they'd be without the Restasis.

I do NOT refrigerate mine.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I  use it and also get  more than 1 day from a vial. 2-3 days, My Dr. told me the same thing.

Google Restatsis there is a coupon program to get you a discount as well.

After taking a break from contacts for over  a year I am wearing them again. 

Honored Contributor

Going thru the dry eye thing again and have used the Restatsis once. It did ok but it doesn't cure the dry eyes and when you stop using it, the dry eyes come back. I am considering tear duct plugs. I got my years worth of Rest. for free thru a promo from the co that makes it. This was a few years ago now.

Respected Contributor

I suffer from dry eyes and have been using Restasis twice daily for about 6 years.  I use 1 vial a day, once in the morning and once at night.  This is what my doctor recommended.

My prescription plan covers it.

I have a love hate relationship with it.  Sometimes it still burns when I use it so thought I'd try weening myself off it.  Within in a few days I notice a difference and go back to it.