Valued Contributor

Anyone Tried Essential Oils?

I've not had bad allergies most of my life, but for the past year, I have.  I was given some samples of Essential Oils and liked them.  Does anyone have experience with them?  I am willing to try.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone Tried Essential Oils?

@sassenach1 wrote:

I've not had bad allergies most of my life, but for the past year, I have.  I was given some samples of Essential Oils and liked them.  Does anyone have experience with them?  I am willing to try.

Hi @sassenach1,

There were some past discussions about using essential oils over in the Beauty forum awhile ago.

You might be able to find them by doing a search for them up at the top of the page in the search bar, by trying to look for some of the posts in the community section of the forums. That's what I would try doing.

I use oils myself. I like using Lavendar before I go to sleep. 

Respected Contributor

I have used some essential oils. There are a lot of claims made that they "may" do this or "might" do that & there are people that swear by them. That they do miraculous things. I wish it were true & it's easy to get pulled in by all of the claims, but I really haven't found anything that wondrous. I like some of the smells & I mostly use them for that. Start slow & do some research on claims & prices. You can pick up small bottles of the basics at health food stores. I hope you find the thing that works for you. Be sure that you are looking at essential oils. There are a lot of fragrance oils out there, too. For candles & soaps & things that aren't skin safe.

Frequent Contributor

Hi @sassenach1

my entire family uses essential oils. We love them. We all have seasonal allergies and diffusing the oils, lemon, peppermint and lavender really helps along with applying to the wrists and back of neck. 

I use my oils for just about everything: making my house smell good, aide in sleep, making my own chemical free cleaning products, skin care, dental care, - I could go on & on. 

I do recommend that you do your research about oils - not all oils are created equally. Many have additives and are not pure. I chose Young Living's essential oils. They gave a seed to seal promise. If you have questions let me know and I can email you. I am a distributor for YL and can help you if you need it! 

Valued Contributor

@Toppers wrote:

@sassenach1 wrote:

Hi @sassenach1,

There were some past discussions about using essential oils over in the Beauty forum awhile ago.

You might be able to find them by doing a search for them up at the top of the page in the search bar, by trying to look for some of the posts in the community section of the forums. That's what I would try doing.

I use oils myself. I like using Lavendar before I go to sleep. 

@Thanks@Toppers  !  I'll look for some old threads.  We've used a lavender and vanilla pillow spray from Bath & body Works for years.  It is so nice to smell just before going to sleep.

Valued Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

I have used some essential oils. There are a lot of claims made that they "may" do this or "might" do that & there are people that swear by them. That they do miraculous things. I wish it were true & it's easy to get pulled in by all of the claims, but I really haven't found anything that wondrous. I like some of the smells & I mostly use them for that. Start slow & do some research on claims & prices. You can pick up small bottles of the basics at health food stores. I hope you find the thing that works for you. Be sure that you are looking at essential oils. There are a lot of fragrance oils out there, too. For candles & soaps & things that aren't skin safe.

@Dusty1 Thank you.  I prefer not taking meds so I am looking for natural remedies and hoping they will be effective. I am sensitive to scents, but some of the oils don't bother me and are actually nice.  Will look for essential oils.

Valued Contributor

@mpobs wrote:

Hi @sassenach1

my entire family uses essential oils. We love them. We all have seasonal allergies and diffusing the oils, lemon, peppermint and lavender really helps along with applying to the wrists and back of neck. 

I use my oils for just about everything: making my house smell good, aide in sleep, making my own chemical free cleaning products, skin care, dental care, - I could go on & on. 

I do recommend that you do your research about oils - not all oils are created equally. Many have additives and are not pure. I chose Young Living's essential oils. They gave a seed to seal promise. If you have questions let me know and I can email you. I am a distributor for YL and can help you if you need it! 

@mpobs Nice!  Thank you for the info.  Am considering options.  Gotta get rid of these allergies!!

Esteemed Contributor

Do your homework before investing your $ so you know what to purchase as a remedy for specific conditions. 

Eucalyptus oil is very effective for upper respiratory ailments and it's reasonably priced. Not all oils are pleasant smelling like a Glade air freshener. Many are quite potent and some can burn the skin on contact so learn as you go.

Respected Contributor

Let us know what you decide on & how it works for you. 

Trusted Contributor

Go to Young Living and look at all the info on essential oils.  I used to buy from them a lot; just got cheap and my former massage therapist disappeared so I'm just not being challenged to get them.

Hope you feel better!

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney