Respected Contributor

Anyone Take Voltaren for Knee Pain?

I took Celebrex for about a month and noticed no difference in knee pain. I have osteoarthritis in my knee. The doctor switched me to Voltaren. Have any of you taken this drug? Does it help with the pain?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone Take Voltaren for Knee Pain?

Yes, I take 400mg twice a day for RA. I have 1 knee that also has osteo. It does work.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

This medicine has been around for many years.

I worked for an ortho surgeon for 17 years before retiring in 2005. Most patients had excellent results with this.

It's too bad they took Vioxx off the market because many people had excellent results with this. Of course, you do need to have blood work a couple of times a year to check your liver function.

Good luck and I hope it works well for you.

Trusted Contributor

I use Voltaren salve on my knees. I did not know it came in pill form.I got mine from a Canadian Pharmacy.
Respected Contributor

On 1/7/2015 spud188 said: I use Voltaren salve on my knees. I did not know it came in pill form.I got mine from a Canadian Pharmacy.

Really? Does it work? Can you post an address.

I would love to try it as I had a knee arthroscopy last summer for two torn menisci. After the surgery, the surgeon told me that I had a lot of arthritis that did not show up on x-rays or MRI. Boy, he wasn't kidding!

Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

I was not aware of this in a pill form either. My husband was given a prescription for Voltaren gel from our doctor.
Honored Contributor

I've used Voltaren in the gel form, and it worked for my knees. I need to ask for it again. It really helped, especially when I was going to sleep. I didn't know it came in pill form.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Yes and have taken it (in pill form) for many years. I take 50mg twice daily and really love this Rx! It helped in ridding me of migraines. The way I found out was by accident. Early in my 30's I started having wrist, neck and lower back pain from OA. The neuro had me try "Cataflam" for my wrists and lo and behold... my migraines got much better. Apparently it is unusual for migraines to become better with this type of medication (an MD said). However, as my neuro said "You know, we DO (what is this "we" business? LOL) have pathology in your cervical disks! Well, anyway, it has been a lifesaver for me there is just no doubt about it. HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

I will try this. Need a knee replacement, but don't want to right now.

Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

Please be wary of long-term use of NSAIDs, as this can cause irreversible kidney damage (kidney failure). I'm now in Stage 3 kidney failure due to use of NSAIDs for chronic migaine.

Voltaren has been around for ages. If this doesn't work for you, there are more effective drugs. If you are limited by an HMO or strict formulary, ask if DayPro is available.

Good luck!