Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Take Voltaren for Knee Pain?

The pill form messed with my stomach, big time, but the gel form works very well, applied where the pain is. My doc gave me several sample tubes of the brand name that I'm still using. The generic name is diclofenac.

Trusted Contributor

I take generic Voltaren (diclofenac sodium) twice a day for generalized osteoarthritis, and it helps a lot. If I don't take it, I'm very stiff and sore. It helped to keep me mobile before I had double knee replacements. It's one of the broad class of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and carries the same risks (ulcers, GI bleeding, cardiovascular problems, kidney problems) as other NSAIDs. Your doctor will want to keep track of your kidney function tests, blood counts, etc. while you're taking any NSAID. These drugs can also increase blood pressure in some patients.

You really have to weigh the benefits vs. risks and work with your doctor to be sure you're tolerating it well.

Honored Contributor

I used to take this for a bad foot injury and it worked well for me.

Trusted Contributor

I would encourage you to explore a partial/total knee replacement option if that is what is really needed. You may avoid kidney disease. I wasn't able to have my knee replacement surgery for about three years because of other physical ailments and problems that would not allow surgery and that is why I took NSAIDs. My knees (I had both replaced, one at a time) are just great and I have NO knee pain, but now I can't take any medication for the arthritic pain in the rest of my body because of the stage 3 chronic kidney disease. My spinal arthritis is so bad and painful that my daily living skills have been compromised. I have to use a walker and pray that I will not end up in a wheelchair. I cannot do many of the things I used to be able to do.

Maybe if I had been able to have the knee surgery without the delays I would not have the kidney disease and could now take a pain reliever for the pain in the rest of my body. So, if you know you will HAVE to have the surgery eventually, think about doing it now so you don't have two problems--knee pain and kidney disease and/or liver problems.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

You can get Voltaran Emugel at Canadian pharmacies without a prescription. In fact, they sell it at Walmart there. There is also a version that does require a prescription but I've used both and can't tell the difference. It's non-greasy, has a mild odor that dissipates instantly when applied. I use it mostly on my back but occasionally rub a dab other places including my knee. It's the best salve I've ever used, and I've used most. A little goes a long way.

http://www.pharmacymix.com/voltaren_emulgel_voltaren_gel.htm

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I guess after coming here for information, people taking time to help her, she doesn't have the courtesy to acknowledge the replies.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

On 1/7/2015 Kachina624 said:

You can get Voltaran Emugel at Canadian pharmacies without a prescription. In fact, they sell it at Walmart there. There is also a version that does require a prescription but I've used both and can't tell the difference. It's non-greasy, has a mild odor that dissipates instantly when applied. I use it mostly on my back but occasionally rub a dab other places including my knee. It's the best salve I've ever used, and I've used most. A little goes a long way.

http://www.pharmacymix.com/voltaren_emulgel_voltaren_gel.htm

I always pick up a couple of tubes of this when I go to the UK. It does wonders for my arthritic fingers and bursitis.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Occasional Contributor

I have used Voltaren gel for quite sometime and found it to be very effective.

Trusted Contributor

Does voltaren topical gel have the risks and side effects of oral voltaren?

Honored Contributor

I wish you lived near me. My Dr sent to my pharmacy a request to have 6 huge tubes of the stuff processed (at once). I never wanted it or knew it until I picked it up.

It is junk as far as what works for me.

I have a compound made at a pharmacy that is amazing. You have to have a prescription and it costs $100 per tube. It is worth every penny. Insurance doesn't pay for it.