Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Take Voltaren XR?

On 3/15/2015 Shelbelle said:

A guy friend of mine uses the Voltaren cream, he raves over his results.

There is a cream available by prescription in the US. You can get Voltaren Emugel from Canadian Pharmacies in two strengths w/o a script. They even sell it at Walmart there. I've used both the US and Canadian versions and can't tell the difference. The extra strength is 2.32% Diclofenac diethylamine gel. I got a 100 g tube for $22,+ S&H. The regular strength is 150 g for about the same price. Can't tell much difference in effectiveness.

I'm so knowledgable because I just got an order and have all the literature right at my elbow. If you have a question, ask and I'll look it up. You just use a little so a tube lasts a long time. It's non-greasy and has a mild, pleasant odor that dissipates immediately.

This is where I order it. It takes a good 10 days to get to me.

http://www.pharmacymix.com/voltaren_emulgel_voltaren_gel.htm

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

On 3/15/2015 Kachina624 said:
On 3/14/2015 fortune said:
On 3/14/2015 Kachina624 said: My mother took Voltaren and ended up in the hospital needing a blood transfusion due to an ulcer it caused. I use the Voltaren ointment on my back. I order it w/o a script from a pharmacy in Canada.

My internist isn't too happy I'm taking Voltaren. My orthopedic doctor prescribed it. Do you know how long your mother took it? I hope she's o.k. now!! Does the Voltaren ointment help your back? Thanks so much, Kachina, for answering my post!!

I don't know how long she took it. I lived some distance away at that time. She died in 2003, of West Nile Virus. The Voltaren gel allows me to get out of bed in the morning. I can't hardly move without it.

Oh, I'm so sorry about your mom, Kachina! Thanks so much for your advice!

Respected Contributor

On 3/15/2015 annabellethecat said:

Many years ago I took it for arthritis. I stopped taking it (also years ago) because I'd read a few negative things about it (I believe in being pro-active with what I take, how I take medicine, etc).

I now take X-Strength Motrin. It helps some. Nothing is going to totally take away my pain. I decided with what other medicine I took arthritis medicine (the less the better) worked for me.

I've dodged a bullet (so to speak) on several medicines by reading before I take them.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but do you realize that Motrin is an NSAID and has the same risk factors/side effects?
Honored Contributor

I took prescription strength Motrin for a number of years. I think I took 400mg 2X daily. I had to get off of it due to stomach upset. It is a NSAID.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Ive used the Voltaren Cream and it works good. The cream is more direct and safer than the pills. My doctor has now prescribed a personalized compound specifically for me which works even better!

Valued Contributor

On 3/15/2015 fortune said:

Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to answer my questions!! I sure do appreciate it! I may switch from the pills to the cream. I was almost unable to walk before taking Volteran , and it really has helped! I hate to go off it, but the side effects sound really awful!

That is great you are able to walk! Now I consider your situation one that if you can't move freely or walk without the drug the side effects may outweigh the risks, but you will need to discuss with your doctor how to monitor the health of you GI and you may need to have certain blood tests every 3 to 6 months to make sure that the medication is not affecting any other functions in your body. Smiley Happy Honestly my post was not meant to scare you into not taking a medication that makes it possible for you to walk, I just want you to have the knowledge about the medication and discuss what you and your doctor want to do to try to prevent or recognize if any serious side effects should arise. I wish you the very best in your treatment plan and I am so happy you are walking and getting around more comfortably. Smiley Very Happy
Valued Contributor

On 3/15/2015 lilmoomoo said:

I've had patients who take the pill and complain of tinnitus (ringing in the ears). As others have mentioned on here, the cream or gel is a lot better with less side effects.

Nicole WI is right; you do have to be careful with NSAIDs because there are GI effects, especially stomach ulcers and potential for bleeding. As long as you take Tylenol ES no more than 2-3 times a day, I think you will be OK. Of course, consult your doctors to ask what is a safe dose for you since we don't know your kidney or liver functions.

Hello fellow healthcare provider! Smiley Happy I was looking at her diagnosis of osteoarthritis between the degeneration of the cartilage between the joints and the inflammation that causes I am not sure acetaminophen will be a viable option for her unless the disease is in the early stages. What do you think? It is so unfortunate that acetaminophen cannot take down inflammation because it is easier on the GI system, but as you mentioned it can damage the liver when exceeding the recommended dosage based on age or weight. For the average person over 12 years of age and weighing at least 110lbs with no other complications I think the current FDA approved dose over a 24 hour period is 4000mg. Correct me if I am wrong here though, lilmoomoo, but especially in children or adults under 110lbs, under the age of 12. considered geriatric patients, or any combination of those factors, doctors prefer to go by weight. Is that what you see most of the time?
Occasional Contributor

I did, I started bleeding and had to stop, and the price went up from $35.00 to over $50.00 but the bleeding made me worry, so I just stopped and told doctor and he said it does happen sometimes.

Frequent Contributor

On 3/26/2015 Nicole WI said:
On 3/15/2015 lilmoomoo said:

I've had patients who take the pill and complain of tinnitus (ringing in the ears). As others have mentioned on here, the cream or gel is a lot better with less side effects.

Nicole WI is right; you do have to be careful with NSAIDs because there are GI effects, especially stomach ulcers and potential for bleeding. As long as you take Tylenol ES no more than 2-3 times a day, I think you will be OK. Of course, consult your doctors to ask what is a safe dose for you since we don't know your kidney or liver functions.

Hello fellow healthcare provider! Smiley Happy I was looking at her diagnosis of osteoarthritis between the degeneration of the cartilage between the joints and the inflammation that causes I am not sure acetaminophen will be a viable option for her unless the disease is in the early stages. What do you think? It is so unfortunate that acetaminophen cannot take down inflammation because it is easier on the GI system, but as you mentioned it can damage the liver when exceeding the recommended dosage based on age or weight. For the average person over 12 years of age and weighing at least 110lbs with no other complications I think the current FDA approved dose over a 24 hour period is 4000mg. Correct me if I am wrong here though, lilmoomoo, but especially in children or adults under 110lbs, under the age of 12. considered geriatric patients, or any combination of those factors, doctors prefer to go by weight. Is that what you see most of the time?
Hullo!! From the inpatient hospital perspective, the doctors tend to go by kidney and liver function. My mom has osteoarthritis and her rheumatologist goes by blood tests, not weight. I'm sure it's different for each provider and patient situation. Tylenol ES isn't the best option or most viable, I agree. All these darn costs and side effects of prescriptions drive people nuts looking for other alternatives.