Super Contributor

Re: Anyone Moving from Healthy Eating to More Healthy Non-GMO and Organic??

Hi All, I wanted to take a minute to thank all those who sent well wishes on my cataract surgery. My BP stayed down on Tuesday and the surgery was done. BUT it spiked the very next day and sent me back to the doctors. They have finally changed my meds, so we will see if BP and elecrolytes become stable.

It is amazing how well I'm going to be able to see in my right eye. It is still healing and still fuzzy.

I've have worse than poor vision since age 2 when my eyes went crossed. Been in strong expensive Rx glasses for 58 years.

My trouble now is that I'm still pretty much blind in my left eye and have to still wear my same glasses till the left eye is done  4 weeks later. The Rx is now so out of focus and it's maddening trying to see. I can't spend much time on the computer.

When the left eye is done it will be truely amazing!  I will have better vision than I've had in my entire life!  It makes me emotional to even think about how almost perfect my vision is going to be. I will only need readers! Then maybe I can find this thread again and read all the great nutritional information you've shared here.

Thank you so very much for your well wishes and positive thoughts ...  ((HUGS)) -- tabby

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Honored Contributor

@Tabbycat , thank you so much for giving us an update as to how you've been doing. I've been think about you and I'm glad to hear that you are on the mend. Surgery is never easy, so I'm glad to hear that you have such a positive anttitude and that you're on the mend. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm glad you're on the mend and we can't wait for you to see us! ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I did a dumb thing yesterday and luckily it was only a few bites.  

One of the neighbor children came by yesterday and was handing out these boxes of Hershey something.  I have no idea why but I imagine she was bored and her mother had no idea she was feeding the neighborhood.

So I took it not to be rude (and hey, it's Hershey).  So without even looking at the box closely I opened it and it was some wedge of cake.  I'm not sure if it was supposed to be ice cream or what but it was like eating card board.  It wasn't even very sweet.

I had like 3 bites while I was looking at the box trying to figure out what it was, and then threw it out.

My stomach didn't like that at all and told me for the rest of the evening!

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN

Yes, I do. Moving to organic food products was one of the best decision that I took. I have been using the non-organic food products for a long time. High consumption of non-organic foods made me sick. I had many obesity-related and chronic diseases due to my bad food habit. Then I consulted a dietician and he advised to include more organic foods in the diets rather than using the conventional foods. Since then I’m using certified organic food products from Giddy Yoyo in Canada. I realized the importance of using organic food products.

Esteemed Contributor

@pitzer434 wrote:

Yes, I do. Moving to organic food products was one of the best decision that I took. I have been using the non-organic food products for a long time. High consumption of non-organic foods made me sick. I had many obesity-related and chronic diseases due to my bad food habit. Then I consulted a dietician and he advised to include more organic foods in the diets rather than using the conventional foods. Since then I’m using certified organic food products from Giddy Yoyo in Canada. I realized the importance of using organic food products.

Hello pitzer434,

I was scrolling through the forums when I found this particular thread, so I, too am a 1st time poster (HERE). 

May I be the first to wecome you to the boards.....

Actually, I have read only (approx) 5 of the beginning, then switched over to the last, which was yours. 

I am more so in to med. research/teaching, etc., but have always been so particular what my family eats, along with myself. I was very interested in your information:GiddyYoyo in Canada. I will research THIS later. 

I am so aware of the reasons that we, as Americans are killing ourselves, or are in such horrible situations- health wise. We are eating all of the quick processed foods, or the foods that are just not healthy. Diet alone can not cure or FIX everything , i.e., diseaeses, after the fact, but certainly can help with prevenative ...long term. The stats of heart, kidney, diabetes is at an alarming high. I want to get more aquainted with "this thread". Everyone - thus far, has a lot of knowledge about foods in general. I'll close off, saying :anyone can and should educate themself as much as possible. I feel as though I am very strict in my selections what I feed my family. This is a quality subject, in my opinion!!!! 

Once again, WELCOME,,,,,,,,,

Esteemed Contributor

@Tissyanne

'I just viewed my comments-that you read, on eating Healthy'. 

Spoke with a nurse friend who told me there was a visting health dietian not far frm us. I asked her if I could get some more literature on anything new-out especially on GMOs.....

I asked abiut this because I have calls from neighbor, older friend/patients asking me- "what do I eat to stay healthy or what do "I" eat? I'm not a big red meat consumer but do buy a lot of fish, not always the wild caught but the farm raised...which I know has some (possible) antibiotics. I am going to try my luck with wild caught salmon...something else that's difficult to find. We have a Whole Foods store about 40 minutes from here, so that's our next visit. The most difficult explanation is how carbs break down into sugars. There is (as with most areas-everywhere) an epidemic of either diabetes, weight or high cholesterol. I would be no exception if I ate what I really wanted but do eat a lot of turned up foods by others.. Next, I am trying fresh (??) vegetables and mix those in with our Nutri Bullet and have a lunch drink. I love fried chicken in olive oil but did cut out 95% of all bread...oh how I love blueberry bagels.

I'm not an expert exerciser, but do some walking...sometimes 1 mile or 2 -not a marathon runner. I thought going up & down the flight of stairs here 20 times during a 12 hour period. I am more interested of the ingredients than anything else. There something about gluten that I stay away from; no one has told me to be gluten- free but I do read labels. looking forward to this food book because each one changes from year to year. I can still wear the same size today that I wore 10 years ago. I'll see you on the *other* in a few minutes, I hope (computer systems)...a very on going of complexity today. NAES

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NAES1 wrote:

@Tissyanne

Spoke with a nurse friend who told me there was a visting health dietian not far frm us. I asked her if I could get some more literature on anything new-out especially on GMOs.....

I asked abiut this because I have calls from neighbor, older friend/patients asking me- "what do I eat to stay healthy or what do "I" eat? I'm not a big red meat consumer but do buy a lot of fish, not always the wild caught but the farm raised...which I know has some (possible) antibiotics. I am going to try my luck with wild caught salmon...something else that's difficult to find. We have a Whole Foods store about 40 minutes from here, so that's our next visit. The most difficult explanation is how carbs break down into sugars. There is (as with most areas-everywhere) an epidemic of either diabetes, weight or high cholesterol. I would be no exception if I ate what I really wanted but do eat a lot of turned up foods by others.. Next, I am trying fresh (??) vegetables and mix those in with our Nutri Bullet and have a lunch drink. I love fried chicken in olive oil but did cut out 95% of all bread...oh how I love blueberry bagels.

I'm not an expert exerciser, but do some walking...sometimes 1 mile or 2 -not a marathon runner. I thought going up & down the flight of stairs here 20 times during a 12 hour period. I am more interested of the ingredients than anything else. There something about gluten that I stay away from; no one has told me to be gluten- free but I do read labels. looking forward to this food book because each one changes from year to year. I can still wear the same size today that I wore 10 years ago. I'll see you on the *other* in a few minutes, I hope (computer systems)...a very on going of complexity today. NAES

@NAES1 what I find most probaleatic about farm raised fish is that essntially, they are "caged" which means that they are living in their own waste products (sh*t), which explains their need for antibiotics.

Additionally they are generally fed a grain based diet, in contrast to the algae or other fish that they would be eating in the wild. This means that instead of having a good healthy Omega-3 profile, that they have an inflammatory Omega-6 profile. -- Nutritionist and doctors always recommend salmon as a great source of Omega-3s, but farm raised salmon hav a bad Omega-6 profile. In fact, it's the algae they eath which gives them their pink color, so the farm raised salmon are given food with red dye in it to make them look pink.

Then there's the overall general cruelty towards towards these fish who will become our supper. They live their lives in crowded caged containers. 

___ 

With regard to sugar, I'm a real hard liner here. For about 7-8 years I had had the sneaking suspicion that just about any type of carb (except veggies) turns into inflammatory sugars fairly quickly and can do damage to your body. This includes most fruits and whole grain bread (which is supposed to be the gold standard of healthy bread).

Sure the fibers in these carbs slow down the rush of sugars into your bloodstream, but they don't stop it. While slowing it down is essential for diabetics, for the rest of us, we need to focus on total sugar consumption for each day. 

Yes, you absolutely do need some sugars during the day for proper body and brain functioning, but I think that most people could do very well on much less than they are currently eating. 

I follow a variation of a Paleo diet which Doug Kaufmann (Know the Cause) created decades ago. 

Its' a very simple diet and my body thrives on it: 

* breakfast -- 3 scrambled eggs (from chickens who are pasture raised, and not fed any supplemental grains) & Vitamix Veggie Green Smoothie

* lunch - nuts, big veggie salad & Vitamix Veggie Green Smoothie

* dinner - 4oz hamburger (from pasture raised cows, that are not fed supplemetal grains), big veggie salad & Vitamix Veggie Green Smoothie

I'll have a bit of fruit most days, and occasionally a few nibbles of a dessert or more likely ice cream. But this is my basic diet and I really love the food I eat. lol, I'm a very happy girl. Smiley Happy -- I also take a number of Andrew Lessman's Procaps Labs supplements. 

I probably drink about 30-40 oz of my Vitamix Green Smoothie over the course of each day -- My Vitamix Green Smoothie RecipeSmiley Happy

If I'm invited out to dinner, I do my best to comply with my diet but I don't make demands on my host and, if I really can't eat much of what is offered, I'll just mention that I'm feeling a bit under the weather, had a big lunch, stomach is queasy... whatever seems right at the time... and then just move the conversation along. Smiley Happy

One important note -- If you are transitioning to a reduced sugar diet, you should make the change slowly and always talk to your doctor about it first. -- While most people can do well on a reduced sugar diet, it's never a good idea to shock your body by making an abrupt change. Your body and brain need carbs to function effectively.

Abruptly shutting down your carb supply could be downright dangerous, even life threatening. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@bebe777 wrote:

@NAES1 wrote:

@Tissyanne

@NAES1 what I find most probaleatic about farm raised fish is that essntially, they are "caged" which means that they are living in their own waste products (sh*t), which explains their need for antibiotics.

Additionally they are generally fed a grain based diet, in contrast to the algae or other fish that they would be eating in the wild. This means that instead of having a good healthy Omega-3 profile, that they have an inflammatory Omega-6 profile. -- Nutritionist and doctors always recommend salmon as a great source of Omega-3s, but farm raised salmon hav a bad Omega-6 profile. In fact, it's the algae they eath which gives them their pink color, so the farm raised salmon are given food with red dye in it to make them look pink.

Then there's the overall general cruelty towards towards these fish who will become our supper. They live their lives in crowded caged containers. 

___ 

With regard to sugar, I'm a real hard liner here. For about 7-8 years I had had the sneaking suspicion that just about any type of carb (except veggies) turns into inflammatory sugars fairly quickly and can do damage to your body. This includes most fruits and whole grain bread (which is supposed to be the gold standard of healthy bread).

Sure the fibers in these carbs slow down the rush of sugars into your bloodstream, but they don't stop it. While slowing it down is essential for diabetics, for the rest of us, we need to focus on total sugar consumption for each day. 

Yes, you absolutely do need some sugars during the day for proper body and brain functioning, but I think that most people could do very well on much less than they are currently eating. 

I follow a variation of a Paleo diet which Doug Kaufmann (Know the Cause) created decades ago. 

Its' a very simple diet and my body thrives on it: 

* breakfast -- 3 scrambled eggs (from chickens who are pasture raised, and not fed any supplemental grains) & Vitamix Veggie Green Smoothie

* lunch - nuts, big veggie salad & Vitamix Veggie Green Smoothie

* dinner - 4oz hamburger (from pasture raised cows, that are not fed supplemetal grains), big veggie salad & Vitamix Veggie Green Smoothie

I'll have a bit of fruit most days, and occasionally a few nibbles of a dessert or more likely ice cream. But this is my basic diet and I really love the food I eat. lol, I'm a very happy girl. Smiley Happy -- I also take a number of Andrew Lessman's Procaps Labs supplements. 

I probably drink about 30-40 oz of my Vitamix Green Smoothie over the course of each day -- My Vitamix Green Smoothie RecipeSmiley Happy

If I'm invited out to dinner, I do my best to comply with my diet but I don't make demands on my host and, if I really can't eat much of what is offered, I'll just mention that I'm feeling a bit under the weather, had a big lunch, stomach is queasy... whatever seems right at the time... and then just move the conversation along. Smiley Happy

One important note -- If you are transitioning to a reduced sugar diet, you should make the change slowly and always talk to your doctor about it first. -- While most people can do well on a reduced sugar diet, it's never a good idea to shock your body by making an abrupt change. Your body and brain need carbs to function effectively.

Abruptly shutting down your carb supply could be downright dangerous, even life threatening. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

@Tissyanne,

@                         (Also @BEBE,

Firstly, I do agree a very LOW carbohydrate diet is not a smart diet- period, and thank you bebe for pointing that out.

Secondly, Tissyanne. 100 stars for you!!

"I would say I am not quite as on 'target' as you, but 90% there with you. I choose red pears instead of any t apples. No sugar, no bread, no dairy, not as much processed foods- do have the frozen bag of those Paul Newman  with shrimp or chicken. I am totally agreeing with you about Farm Raised fish. I constantly am on the move for wild caught. I am buying a new range that has a grill for salmon!. I find, for myself, it's something else to either soak or clean all kale, spinach- enough for a weeks' supply. I am pretty much on your page choosing the same raw/ organic vegetables; as in celery, carrots, lettuce. I do "not believe" that we can totally be pesticide free from everything...but do know my diet is 98% better than the average person, unless you are a certified nutrition expert. I hope to be there very soon' although I do not have anyone in my vocabulary as an EXPERT.....

@I am copying your well detailed diet and sticking to that  @95%.

I would like to have more information as it comes available to me, although I am definitely not a Dr. Oz watcher.

Thank you so very much for the food diet. Ever so pleased~

I do stay gluten free as much as possible. Even chicken baked or fried -olive oil- is not always found as antibiotic free. 

I will get back to you on these foods and compare notes. It's not what you SMEAR on your body...it's what g o e s into IT. No beauty creme or lotion will ANTI-AGE anyone....that I can prove with what I do for my body's outward appearance.  I have my husband/family eating healthy...nothing more important. Exercise ks great but walking is the best...no gym equipment or $$$$s spent are needed. My dad walked 16 miles everyday up to the age of 88!

Hugs to you...thanks a million. 

Hearts and flowers to you. 

Are you associated with gloriajean's charter personal mails?

NAES

Also, a srtict diet of Lessman supplements/both of us+ adult child.

Honored Contributor

I thought this was an interesting blog post by Mark Sisson on Food Pairings.

I listen the blog posts on podcast when I drive to work.  I like when someone reads to me.  LOL

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-food-pairings-that-make-surprising-nutritional-sense/#axzz3lu85hyi...

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN