Trusted Contributor

Anyone Here Have an Iridotomy?

I go see the opthamologist tomorrow and it is my understanding it is to see if I need an iridotomy in each eye.  Have you ever had an iridotomy and what was your experience with this procedure?

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone Here Have an Iridotomy?

I have glaucoma in my left eye only. I did have the procedure done in the office. It went very quickly and, if I recall there was a slight feeling of pressure, there was no pain and I had no side effects. I was terrified as this was an emergency surgery but my fears were unfounded. Prayers that all goes well for you too.

Super Contributor

Yes, I’ve had it done in both eyes.  It was essentially a non event.  No problem at all.  And, I have two friends who have also had it done, and their experience was the same as mine.  First your eye is dilated.  Then the procedure itself takes about ten minutes for each eye.  Good luck to you!

Frequent Contributor

I had both eyes done very recently, about a month apart. Saying it's a piece of cake is pretty accurate. Your eyes are completely numbed......... they put a contact lens in so your eye stays open .....and the lasor zaps you for no more than 5 seconds. By the time you might feel the little pinch.....it's over. I had no headache, nothing. The worst part was putting eyedrops in 4 times a day for a week. I know it's nerve racking to think about...but it's really a pretty simple, in and out experience. And I'm actually a big baby....so for me to say this, should reassure you. Good luck!