Trusted Contributor

Anyone Have Umbilical Hernia Surgery?

Have to have on April 12.  How did yours go?  What was the follow-up like?  Anything you wish you had done differently?  Aything I haven't thought of asking?

Thanks for any information you could share.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Have Umbilical Hernia Surgery?

I have had a huge hernia for several years.

I just got the name of a surgeon.  I wasn’t going to mess with it.

Then my back Dr said my intestines could get smashed and cut off blood flow, things like that.

I’m still not enthused about it but I’ll look into it.

I do wish good nougats for you.  My friend had it done and had no problem.

Take care and please let us know how you are doing.  Fondly, Annabellethecat 😻

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

I just read two posts by you....after missing them for quite a while. I hope this means you are on the mend after that horrific fall followed by surgeries and rehab.

Get well and Stay well !!! 🌹 🌷 🌼 🌻 🌸 🌹

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I Had it done about 5 years ago.  The surgeon also found a ventral hernia underneath the umbilical hernia.  It was outpatient surgery and not a difficult recovery.  I took pain pills for two days and that was all.  I needed to have it done because my bowel got caught in the hernia and ummm..... prevented BM's.  Also, it just kept getting bigger and more painful.  Now I have a piece of mesh holding my innards in.  The problem I've had is that now my belly button is closed for business, if you know what I mean.  When I had my gall bladder removed they couldn't use my belly button to perform the laparoscopic surgery and they had to make another incision above the belly button.  

You'll be fine, it's not that difficult.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had it done quite a few years ago. I don't know when it happened, but it came undone. Never went back for a repair. No big deal for me, I live with it.

Trusted Contributor

@jlkz  I join you in welcoming back the posts of @annabellethecat whose absence was noted by me and whose best wishes for continued good health are extended!

Honored Contributor

@wismiss 

Have had 2 hernia surgeries, both laparoscopic outpatient. First one was back in the late '90's, the 2nd one was in late 2019. 

Lifting weight limit for 4 weeks, back ice skating in 2 weeks. Pretty straight forward to me. I had the option of living with it, but it did interfere with my ice skating strides, so I had it surgically fixed. 

Pain not bad at all and I didn't need anything for it. Just my usual Tylenol 8 hour, but I take only 1 tablet. Do this 2 hours before I skate keeps my surgically repaired 3 disc removals under control when skating.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wismiss wrote:

Have to have on April 12.  How did yours go?  What was the follow-up like?  Anything you wish you had done differently?  Aything I haven't thought of asking?

I had that surgery several years ago as an out-patient surgery, but did end up spending the night in the hospital because they could not get my blood oxygen levels up far enough to let me go home. My GP recommended several surgeons for me to select from. After the surgery, the resident at the hospital that assisted, was excited to tell me what a great job my surgeon did reconstructing my belly button so I was excited to hear that. They did find a 2nd hernia and repaired that as well while they were in there. Other than that it was uneventful. I had pain with movement (getting in and out of bed) for a few days. Did not have to take anything stronger than Tylenol. My scar is almost gone (incision above my belly button). You should be fine at home alone, but as I recall, I was not allowed to drive for at least a week so have family or friends bring you meals or order delivery or stock your freezer. Nothing to worry about. Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

I had mine fixed 15 years ago and haven't had a problem since. It was a tiny incision and recovery was easy. The only follow up was routine.

Honored Contributor

DH has 2 of those but not having surgery. The doctor said if it's not bothering him not necessary?

DH gets on the Teeter Hangs Ups to make it go back in.