Respected Contributor

Anyone Experiencing Low Magnesium?

I've been having a problem with low magnesium counts for about a year. My doctor has me on 1200 Mg's a day and I try to eat the right foods. I've had infusions last Jan, Feb, and March and it barely went up. I have labs done on Friday and I am concerned that the numbers are going to be low again. I am having horrible muscle cramps in my feet and legs. She is also going to check my potassium again. I drink plenty of water also. I was just wondering if anyone here has gone through this and what they did for it.TIA for any advice.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Experiencing Low Magnesium?

I take a 400mg Magnesium each evening, after my dinner.  

I don't have a doctor, so I don't know anything about numbers.  But I was having some problems with getting jimmy legs at night. Well, actually, just my right leg and right arm.  It would last the entire night, so I got absolutely no sleep.

I researched it and it looked like I needed Mag, plus with that I also take a B6/Folic Acid/B12 sl tab along  in the evening.

I think this has made about a 99.9% difference for me.  I say that because, every now and then (VERY infrequently, thankfully) I do get that icky physical anxiety.  But I was getting it a LOT more frequently before so I feel like I'm on the right track.

I learned that if I have a day where I'm *chair-sitting too long and unable to drink enough water I can have a problem with this.

*Chair-sitting - I have a problem with my right knee so sitting in a chair with legs bent like that is something I have to do sparingly. 

I know this affected me negatively from a recent day when I had an appointment where I had to be chair-sitting for quite a while. Added to that, before I have to go somewhere, I make sure I don't drink too much of my water so that I won't have to go to the bathroom.   Then, I catch up on the water when I get home.  I usually drink 4 bottles a day.  On that day, between the chair-sitting and not getting caught up with my water for the day, I ended up awake all night with that physical anxiety.   Lesson learned!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt 

SMH!   ðŸ¤¨

ðŸ™„

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

It sounds like your issue may be a metabolic one.  Some drugs can also lower potassium.  I would follow your doctor's advice and ask more questions of your doctor about how she/he thinks you ended up with low potassium.  That's the key.

Edited:  Same for potassium AND magnesium.  Either can be caused by a metabolic issue or medications.  Check with your doctor.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@chickenbutt 

SMH!   ðŸ¤¨

ðŸ™„

hckynut 

Uh, I don't get it.  Why am I getting the SMH and rolleyes.   I didn't say anything wrong or untrue.   I'm just curious.   TIA for advice.   @hckynut 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

I take a 400mg Magnesium each evening, after my dinner.  

I don't have a doctor, so I don't know anything about numbers.  But I was having some problems with getting jimmy legs at night. Well, actually, just my right leg and right arm.  It would last the entire night, so I got absolutely no sleep.

I researched it and it looked like I needed Mag, plus with that I also take a B6/Folic Acid/B12 sl tab along  in the evening.

I think this has made about a 99.9% difference for me.  I say that because, every now and then (VERY infrequently, thankfully) I do get that icky physical anxiety.  But I was getting it a LOT more frequently before so I feel like I'm on the right track.

I learned that if I have a day where I'm *chair-sitting too long and unable to drink enough water I can have a problem with this.

*Chair-sitting - I have a problem with my right knee so sitting in a chair with legs bent like that is something I have to do sparingly. 

I know this affected me negatively from a recent day when I had an appointment where I had to be chair-sitting for quite a while. Added to that, before I have to go somewhere, I make sure I don't drink too much of my water so that I won't have to go to the bathroom.   Then, I catch up on the water when I get home.  I usually drink 4 bottles a day.  On that day, between the chair-sitting and not getting caught up with my water for the day, I ended up awake all night with that physical anxiety.   Lesson learned!  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt   Unless you've been diagnosed as being deficient, you likely could be overdoing it.  Assuming one's overall health is good, females only need 320 mg. of magnesium daily.  Taking too much via supplements can cause cardiac troubles, a sudden drop in BP, diarrhea, joint pain.  I would urge you to supplement only as needed, only making up the difference, after considering your intake from meats, nuts, avocados, seeds, grains, etc. through your diet.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt 

You are so fortunate that you were able to figure out what to do to alleviate the muscle cramps AKA Charlie Horses. I get them almost every night in both feet/toes and legs Sometimes in both legs at the same time. I can't even stretch or roll over in bed without getting these things. 

For as the numbers. They want the magnesium over 2 and mine is close to 1 as my high. Now one point doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is when it comes to magnesium. What concerns me is that low magnesium counts can cause a person to have a heart attack or stroke with no symptoms until it is too late. Like I said I've had several infusions and that didn't really increase my magnesium all that much. So, count your blessings that you have found relief. I take 400 mg three times a day and I don't see it helping. This is a prescription form, not an over the counter tablet. I drink the water and eat my spinach and the foods and nuts high in magnesium so I'll just have to see what goes on Friday.

Respected Contributor

@customerqvc2 

My potassium is ok, it's my magnesium that is low. Although she is rechecking my potassium too on Friday. 

@customerqvc2 wrote:

It sounds like your issue may be a metabolic one.  Some drugs can also lower potassium.  I would follow your doctor's advice and ask more questions of your doctor about how she/he thinks you ended up with low potassium.  That's the key.

Valued Contributor

I take 600 mg of Magnesium thru the day.

There are certain types of magnesium that are better than others.

There is a book called Miracle Magnesium by Caolyn Dean, MD. This is a very informative book.

I have fibromyalgia and it does help in some respects. 

It also is supposed to help with other health issues.

Trusted Contributor

@Leeny I so appreciate what you are going through with your muscle cramps, etc.

I don't have low magnesium but I have low ferritin levels which cause horrible restless legs/leg cramps which are like omg how can that happen, it's so bad.  Once my doctor started checking not just my iron levels but the ferritin levels & I'm now getting iron infusions almost quarterly it seems to be so much better.  Not sure if you mention to your doctor to check ferritin levels next time you are tested it might just help.  Good luck.