Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Ever Had an Adverse Reaction to Splenda/Succralose?

My Dad had a lady friend whose SIL was allergic to this. It sent him into anaphylactic shock. He turned read and his throat closed. Just like person with a peanut allergy or bee sting.
He carries an epi-pen.
Honored Contributor

My digestive system doesn't like it either.  

Honored Contributor

@Trix wrote:

Nightowlz, I too get awful headaches from most artificial sweeteners.  My list even includes Stevia and monk fruit. The only one I can tolerate (in very small portions) is Splenda/succralose.  If I over indulge in succralose I get the same migraine from h. e.double hockey sticks as I do from the others. 

I would like to drink Andrew Lessman's Secure Meals but they have 

Acesulfame Potassium (non-nutritive sweetener) & Sucralose (non-nutritive sweetener) in them. I did not know that 1st time I bought them. I drank one got a headache so I looked at the ingredients & said no wonder. Wish he would leave these out. The sucralose may not be so bad in it by itself. I think I could drink 1 per day without getting a headache but not since it still has Ace K in it makes it a big fat no.
I have never tried stevia or monk fruit.
Honored Contributor

I haven't either.  But here's the thing - for an extremely small segment of the population, they need to COMPLETELY stay away from artificial sweeteners like this.    Some people will over-indulge and that's where they get in trouble.

If you are one who can use these products successfully, it is still absolutely recommended that you do so in moderation.

I've used either the powdered Splenda for baking and such, as well as the pure liquid sucralose, for about 15 years without problems. But I have never over-indulged.  I did my homework ahead of time.

I remember reading a post of somebody who was railing on Splenda because she would eat a bowl of berries every day with several huge spoonfuls of Splenda in it and if she was still hungry she would eat ANOTHER big bowl of berries with several huge spoonfuls of Splenda right after that.  Uh, yeah - that's gonna make ya sick, no matter who you are!

So, the moral of the story is that either you can use these products, as long as you do so responsibly, or you just need to stay away entirely.  If using them in moderation causes you physical problems and digestive distress, you need to abstain.

Respected Contributor

Wow. How lucky I am, as well as everyone who eats my food. I also take to get togethers. I don't make a lot of desserts, but when I do, I use Splenda. It's so sweet I cut back on it even more than what they suggest for the recipe. I was thinking I should warn people who eat my food, but I usuaaly am bragging about cutting the calories by using Splenda.
Super Contributor

if you eat a lot of anything it can make you sick.

Honored Contributor

No adverse reaction to any kind of artificial sweeteners.  However, I recently bought SkinnyGirl Protein bars.  I wanted them for my breakfast that I eat at my desk.  I ate one Monday and by late morning I was very bloated and having issues. 

Today, I had another one and my stomach is even worse. It dawned on me that both days I ate those bars.  I looked at the packaging which says Gluten free, kosher and no artificial sweetener.  Well what it does have in it is MALITOL!!! 

I am so miserable it's not even funny. I have 3 of these bars left and they are going in the trash.  They taste okay but my tummy cannot handle malitol.    

Super Contributor

With Splenda, my tongue feels fuzzy,  my throat and usual swell. With aspartame I get extremely dizzy, feel faint, and get horrible headaches.

I've been reading labels since they become mandatory in the 90's. I'm glad more people are starting to, and put two and two together for their well being.  

Honored Contributor

LipstickDiva wrote:

No adverse reaction to any kind of artificial sweeteners.  However, I recently bought SkinnyGirl Protein bars.  I wanted them for my breakfast that I eat at my desk.  I ate one Monday and by late morning I was very bloated and having issues. 

Today, I had another one and my stomach is even worse. It dawned on me that both days I ate those bars.  I looked at the packaging which says Gluten free, kosher and no artificial sweetener.  Well what it does have in it is MALITOL!!! 

I am so miserable it's not even funny. I have 3 of these bars left and they are going in the trash.  They taste okay but my tummy cannot handle malitol.    

Hi LD!  Yeah, Maltitol is probably the worst of the bunch.  Even a little bit will cause some discomfort with most people.  Any more than that will cause a range of much more extreme problems with probably everybody!

It seems that Maltitol is used a lot for sugar-free candy-type products the most.      But it's one that I tend to look out for, even though sucralose and others don't seem to bother me (in moderation of course!).

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Oh yes, I forgot about Malitol. I used to buy diet chocolate bars made with this sweetener.  They were smooth and creamy and delicious, but if I ate more than a quarter of the bar, my belly churned and I spent my day in the bathroom.

This sweetener is also used in mints.  It gives the cooling sensation that we all love, but will get you in the end if you indulge too much.