Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone Else with WhiteCoatSyndrome?

I never had this problem until the last year or so. It was scary and aggravating since I've always had low blood pressure . My NP said take it a home every day for a month, relax when you do it and send the results to me on MyChart. Of course, they were fine and she said don't worry about it. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I have it too!  That's why I've always dreaded going to doctors.  I just got a new PCP.  I had my first appointment with her a couple of weeks ago.  When I checked into her office, my BP was high, as usual.  During the visit, she talked about my BP.  She said before I leave, she would take it again.  But it if wasn't lower, I would be on BP meds.  My second reading was 128!  She said I'm the kind of patient who needs to have a second reading.  She did call in a script at a medical equipment pharmacy for an at-home BP monitor for me, and she wants me to keep a record every day.  

Esteemed Contributor

This happens to me almost everytime. I usually get there 20 minutes before my appointment and do some deep breathing. They usually have to take it twice, once at the begining and then at the end.

One time the nurse said it was normal, I asked her if she was sure, so I looked and she was.

I like my Dr so I don't know what I'm so nervous about.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sometimes I have gone to the Dr appt and did not feel at all nervous like I was last week and it was high, not as high as it was last week.

Last week    I felt so much more anxious and jittery and knew it would be a high reading!

When I dont feel nervous it will still be up but not a ton.

It gets to be ridiculous to have the WCS happen when there is not any reason for me to even be nervous, like for a followup etc.

Before I left they took the reading again and it was down 20 points!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Interesting comments but don't understand the cause ... fear of authority figures?   

The only person who I've ever known to be afraid of doctors had a real nutcake for a mother ... somehow it was a battle of wills, and she'd drag her kids kicking and screaming to the pediatrician's office for checkups.    

I have had high blood pressure when arriving, but the MD always took it a second time just before the visit was over, and it was usually down.

My cause?  Rushing through traffic to get to the doctors' office on time.  I hate rushing, but I live in an urban area, so I always have them take a "second opinion" of my actual reading.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CherryHugs I bring my own monitor in with me to show the doctor my readings over time.

Something else you might not be aware of is the effect of caffeine on bp. It can last for hours. I tried an experiment with this and found that my systolic rose 11 points on average and my diastolic rose too after drinking caffeinated coffee. I took the bp before drinking. I took the measurements one hour after drinking. I retook pressure six hours later and the pressure had dropped. I repeated my experiment multiple times with similar r3sults.

Super Contributor

Oh my. It feels like this thread was written for me.  I've has WCS since I'm in my 30s. I've gotten better believe it or not. But it can still spike.

One time, when I was in my late 30s, I had fever and a bad cough. It was a weekend, but I was really not feeling well so I went to an urgent care. My pressure was quite hi. They didn't want me leaving. I had to sign something for them to release me. On the following Monday I went to my regular doctor, and my pressure was ok. I really liked my doctor. She completely understood my anxiety. I always checked my pressure at home.  But eventually, in my 40s, I did have to go on bp meds, as it was too high, even at home. 

Now, most times it falls close normal range at the doctors office, but still higher than when I take it at home.

I completely dislike going to doctors, but a necessary evil for me. I get the fight or flight response, but I guess my meds keep it from spiking too much. Not a good thing at all. Now I see I'm def not alone.

Honored Contributor

I have had medical phobia, as I call it, since I was a very young girl.  I can remember screaming in the examination room when the doctor came out with the needle.  I also remember having an earache and as soon as the doctor said I had get a shot, I ran out of the office and outside, my mom running after me!!!  When I had surgery in my twenties, I was not a good patient and for the follow up doctor visit at his office, the nurse suggested I see a therapist!!!!!!  I still get anxious and stress whenever I have a doctor app't. no matter what it is for.  My primary doctor is used to my blood pressure going up when there and understands.  I guess we posters all share the same anxiety and I know there are many others who do too.

Honored Contributor

The Dr and Nurses have said they see this alot.

One nurse said she is the same way!

I am planning to try Youtube Self Hypnosis for this issue and hoping it works!Woman Very Happy

Thank you so much everyone for all of your replies on this topic! Woman Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

I have had medical phobia, as I call it, since I was a very young girl.  I can remember screaming in the examination room when the doctor came out with the needle.  I also remember having an earache and as soon as the doctor said I had get a shot, I ran out of the office and outside, my mom running after me!!!  When I had surgery in my twenties, I was not a good patient and for the follow up doctor visit at his office, the nurse suggested I see a therapist!!!!!!  I still get anxious and stress whenever I have a doctor app't. no matter what it is for.  My primary doctor is used to my blood pressure going up when there and understands.  I guess we posters all share the same anxiety and I know there are many others who do too.

@spiderw 

It was a good idea, based on what you've written here.  Did you see a therapist?