Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Else with WhiteCoatSyndrome?

Yes, I have had it for many years.  As long as I start taking my BP's about (a weeks worth) ahead of the day of my visit.....they seem fine with it. Some doctors take it at the beginning of my visit....then again at the end... and it usually is down a few points.  Many times I take it again as soon as I get home and 99% of the time it's in the normal range.

Valued Contributor

I have recently had two doctors tell me that this is real. People get anxious or are in pain or sick and their blood pressure readings are off at the doctor. Too high or too low. Maybe tell yourself it is okay to feel anxious, I also feel anxious going to the doctor. In stead of telling yourself not to feel this way or its dumb to feel this way, try acceptance and a little self love about it. Just know it is so normal to have anxiety: How long are we going to have to wait, will the doctor be interested or rushed, etc. Do some deep breathing beforehand and while waiting in the waiting room. How I do that is: count of four breathing in, hold breath count of four, puff it strongly out your mouth. Difficult to do the out your mouth part weating a mask so I do out the nose then. There are other deep breathing techniques but how they work is when we feel fearful we start to shallowly breathe. Taking deep breaths actually tells the brain to reduce the chemicals that create the anxiety in our brain. Once I did this enough times, it starts to work for me on about the third round BUT, I really need to puff out the mouth. I will ask the doctor during a painful proceedure if I can pull my mask out a little bit and do deep breathing to help myself and they all say yes. It works to a lesser extent doing the final exhale out my nose and sometimes I will do that in a mask just because the procedure is quick and I don't want to explain what I am doing while the doctor has "busy hands" on me. 

Honored Contributor

I really appreciate all of the messages. Im sorry that others have this issue too but its good to know that Im not alone in it!  Heart

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

I have WCS. I didnt want meds for it until my doctor explained: in most cases, it is not just the doctor's office. It's very probable this is a condition with many others besides just doctors. You might find you only have normal BP at home. 

Contributor

2 weeks before my Dr. appointment I take my blood pressure reading morning and night and write them down. Always listing the date and time and take it with me when I go to the office. When he sees those lower readings he is satisfied that the readings I have taken are more reflective of what is really happening.