Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone 80 and older have any experiences with Moderna vaccine to share?

@CalminHeart 

People who get the vaccine can still infect others. Your comments don’t make sense.

You do realize that proper social distancing, Mask-wearing, and following the other recommended safety measures that have been recommended work even better than a vaccine, don’t you? 

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@CalminHeart 

People who get the vaccine can still infect others. Your comments don’t make sense.

You do realize that proper social distancing, Mask-wearing, and following the other recommended safety measures that have been recommended work even better than a vaccine, don’t you? 

@willdob3 Yes and they still want people to do the above well after getting the vaccine....so they keep the spread down.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@CalminHeart 

@willdob3 Yes and they still want people to do the above well after getting the vaccine....so they keep the spread down.

@haddon9 

And with half the people refusing to practice safety measures now, I’m pretty sure they don’t plan to start if they get vaccinated. And most other people seem to think the vaccine means they can toss masks and go back to “normal” life. Because of this, I wonder if the vaccine will make things worse because people will not behave in safe ways.

It is practicing safety measures consistently that can prevent one from getting infected. The vaccine does not offer that kind of protection. If you stay safe, you are unlikely to get infected.

Respected Contributor

@ThinkOutsidetheBox I hope your mom is doing well, and having no reaction at all.  We all make the best decisions we know how to make for ourselves and for our parents.  

All and only the best to you and your mom. 

Trusted Contributor

Call me ignorant if you will, but I don't understand the enthusiasm for an experimental vaccine for a rapidly mutating virus that will need boosters, when surviving the virus is put at 95% and many are asymptomatic already.

My brother and sister-in-law, both in their early 60s just got over Covid and have now returned to work.

I have seen no mention of pharmaceutical company Merck's decision to stop their attempt at producing a vaccine and to concentrate on therapies instead. 

"Merck said Monday it will stop developing both of the current formulations of the Covid-19 vaccines the company was working on, citing inadequate immune responses to the shots.

Work will continue on at least one of the vaccines, which is being developed in partnership with the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI), to see if using a different route of administration would improve how effective it is.

The announcement marks a shocking setback for one of the most storied vaccine makers, and will raise tensions around readouts expected soon from other companies, including Johnson & Johnson and the upstart NovaVax."

https://www.statnews.com/2021/01/25/in-a-major-setback-merck-to-stop-developing-its-two-covid-19-vac...

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker  We know many people who have had the virus and recovered. We also know about eight who have died. 

Trusted Contributor

DH had his second shot this week - fine the day of -- but the mid afternoon of the following day he said  he felt like he had the flu, chills and achy.  He rested and the next day, felt fine....mid 80's.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@willdob3 wrote:

@CalminHeart 

I never said the vaccine is foolproof. And yes, the other safety measures should be mandatory.  They do not guarantee 100% either. I've lost 2 close friends in the last month who were meticulous about following precautions.  My brother is a doctor and was extremely careful and he got covid.  

The vaccine will add to protection provided by masks, social distancing, etc.  I never said the vaccine means they aren't required.

I still think it's very selfish and immoral for someone to not get the vaccine if they are truly medically able. 

Contributor

My mother got her first Moderna shot a couple of weeks ago. She is 84. She had a sore arm, was really tired, and ran a fever of 102 for about a day. After that, she was fine. She is scheduled to get her second shot on February 19.

I am 61 and just got my second Moderna shot last Friday (I work in healtchare). After the first shot, my arm was sore and I felt a little out of sorts, but not bad. After my second shot, my arm also hurt, but I had chills and was achey, much like a mild case of the flu. I also slept off and on most of the next day (Saturday). But by Sunday, everything seemed to be back to normal; although, the arm did hurt for a few days more. 

I also had some joint/muscle pain, but I have arthritis and joint issues, so it's hard to say whether that was the shot or just me being me. In any case, I am so glad that I took the vaccine.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@hckynut When you have lived with someone who has a long term autoimmune brain illness you tend to err on the side of caution...at least I do. I choose to wait and see how people do with the vaccine.  It still hasn't been fully approved but has only been approved for emergency use.

I know you've been through the gauntlet of many health issues and you see things differently and choose to take a different approach.

ETA:  It's still a free country and it's great that we can all choose how to take care of ourselves.   I hope it remains that way.

Free country? Yes. But it's not all about you. Yes, it includes protecting you but it's even more about caring enough to protect your loved ones and anyone you might be around. 

@CalminHeart How is the vaccine going to protect others if I've gotten it when it's not designed to keep one from getting infected?  It's designed to keep one from getting very sick if they do get infected.

"Dr. Anthony Fauci, in a virtual discussion with The Hastings Center on Thursday, said the vaccine is meant to protect the individual from getting sick from the coronavirus, but may not prevent that person from spreading the virus to others."

It's better than nothing. Millions get the flu shot every year. Some still get the flu but it's not as bad as it would have been without the shot.