Respected Contributor

Anybody Use Livongo App for Blood Pressure?

I am retired and have had four different requests for obtaining the Livongo blood pressure monitoring app.  It is free and the company sends you the sphignominometer for monitoring your BP.  I have no issues with high blood pressure.  In fact today, my general doctor measured it at 100/70 during my annual physical.  

They (United Health Care provider) must really want people to use this, no matter what their BP might read.  They last offered me a $100.00 Amazon gift card as an incentive.  While it is tempting, I will most likely not do this smartphone app monitoring program.  A little too "big brother" for me.  I have until Sept. 24 to decide.

Anyone use this app?  I know Livongo has a seperate one for people that need help with glucose monitoring. The reviews on the glucose monitoring app are mostly one or two stars.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody Use Livongo App for Blood Pressure?

@jpie wrote:

I am retired and have had four different requests for obtaining the Livongo blood pressure monitoring app.  It is free and the company sends you the sphignominometer for monitoring your BP.  I have no issues with high blood pressure.  In fact today, my general doctor measured it at 100/70 during my annual physical.  

They (United Health Care provider) must really want people to use this, no matter what their BP might read.  They last offered me a $100.00 Amazon gift card as an incentive.  While it is tempting, I will most likely not do this smartphone app monitoring program.  A little too "big brother" for me.  I have until Sept. 24 to decide.

Anyone use this app?  I know Livongo has a seperate one for people that need help with glucose monitoring. The reviews on the glucose monitoring app are mostly one or two stars.

@jpie 

Be careful of United Health Care they are a third party affiliated group of AARP.....they are a company that promotes all kinds of tests and unnecessary things that drive up health costs, yet deny treatment and medications that patients need....just google and read the reviews...

Here's info from a consumer blog, cant post the links since some of the content is advertising and content not allowed by QVC Forums.....

We should point out that AARP gets royalties from Medigap plans and from Medicare Advantage plans. It partners with UnitedHealth on both plans. We also found, through the public records that AARP is required to file as a nonprofit, that AARP derives significant income from its royalties. : In its 2014 annual financial statement, AARP reported $528 million in Medigap royalties from UnitedHealth.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@jpie wrote:

@jpie 

Be careful of United Health Care they are a third party affiliated group of AARP.....they are a company that promotes all kinds of tests and unnecessary things that drive up health costs, yet deny treatment and medications that patients need....just google and read the reviews...

Here's info from a consumer blog, cant post the links since some of the content is advertising and content not allowed by QVC Forums.....

We should point out that AARP gets royalties from Medigap plans and from Medicare Advantage plans. It partners with UnitedHealth on both plans. We also found, through the public records that AARP is required to file as a nonprofit, that AARP derives significant income from its royalties. : In its 2014 annual financial statement, AARP reported $528 million in Medigap royalties from UnitedHealth.

_____

Than you for your reply.

I have had great, private pay coverage from UHC.  I pay very high premiums, but would not risk a lower coverage tier.  I am a retired teacher and the district I retired from provides this group plan to it's retirees.  I have a few years before I will need to make a decision about the Medicare route, as I am 61 years old. I am not an AARP member, but I do understand what you are saying about their royalties.  I have mixed feelings about AARP, but this is a whole different topic.

Just really curious about the BP app.

Respected Contributor

Never heard of this app. But I’m kinda leery of the big brother aspect too.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The iPhone and Google play store apps have 5 star reviews. You may want to read a few.

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

The iPhone and Google play store apps have 5 star reviews. You may want to read a few.

________

Thank you!  Now why didn't I think of that?  

Honored Contributor

Accept the fact that Big Pharma is Big Business now, the biggest one out there.

As for AARP, they have been sending me offers for over 30 years and I’ve never bitten once.  I don’t deal with Amazon either.

I have an upper arm Omron which, IMO, is the best BP monitor available.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I do not trust AARP.  Toss out all the junk mail they send DH and I for at least 10 years now.  Do not need them.