Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anybody Keep a Food Journal?

I've had to do this multiple times for my allergies. (especially the food) I actually listed the cooking process (request from the allergist) It's a pain but at the end of the week you have some valuable information. It can be helpful to see where you fall into a rut or could add some type of fruit or juice substitue, etc. I have a problem with dehydration (due to medication) and function better with multiple mini meals (other health issues) but the diary gave me a good base line.

Good luck.     

Honored Contributor

I use the FitBit app.

I make sure to use up around 1,000 calories more a day in exercise than I put in my mouth as food.

I did a CrossFit class at 7:30 this morning, walked to the farmer's market and am doing housework now...already at 10,000 steps.

I will have a nice dinner tonight!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

(thread title)

@Plaid Pants2

Never felt the need for me to journal my food program. I pretty much know what I eat/how much, and when I need to change it up a bit. The only real journal I kept was everything I did during my running days.

Every detail was kept, primarily to help me map my progress with certain routines, but mainly to help me locate the source of any injury I suffered. That was invaluable and a necessity for me in that respect.

The foods I eat are so limited in variety it is very simple for me to almost remember what I ate/when and how much(no by using a scale however). Decades of sticking with a certain type of food program makes it a simple task for me.

For those still searching for what is best for themselves, I think like my running journal, a lot of necessary information can be attained by keeping a journal. Good for you and think this help will help you reach whatever goals you have set for yourself.

hckynut(john)

Why the underlining in the 1st paragraph, beats me!

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Yes.

It's the #1 best healthy habit I picked up from doing WW.

I use Sparkpeople to track.  I have all of my recipes in there and all the food I eat, so it makes it simple.

A food scale is a must and there are tons of inexpensive ones out there.  TJ Maxx, etc. always has them as does Target and Walmart.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I use MyFitnessPal.com. I use it as a journal but it also calculates calories carbs, etc. I've lost 10 pounds so far. I like it.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mine is kept using a black and white composition book (inexpensive).

Why?  My neuro placed me on Depakote in 2016 and I gained 42 freaking pounds!  A family friend on the same med last year as well gained 38 pounds!  I begged to be taken off the med, so am on another one at present.

In the journal, my emphasis is in listing time eaten, listing the food or liquid eaten and its weight or volume, its caloric value in terms of carbs-fat-protein, how many 8oz portions of water I drink and at what time.  My total should be somewhere around 1200-1300 Kcals per day.

I'm on a long journey, which i must complete, because I'm probably looking at an L4-5 fusion and must get this weight off.

[The thing about Depakote is that it seems to turn on the hunger center in ones brain.  BAD - VERY BAD.]

Super Contributor

At the end of the day, I was always wondering what I had done, so I started journaling sleep,food,water, movement, what I'm reading, who I visited with, where I went, what I accomplished.  I'm very self critical and I was trying to start good habits and stop negetive thinking.

#1. stop eating tv ad "food" or things with labels on them

#2.  Shinrin-yoku Every. Day.

#3. do a good helpful deed for a stranger. Every. Day.

I feel better

Respected Contributor

I use the Lose It app. There's a basic version that's free, or premium for $21.99 a year. My rule is "if it goes in your mouth, it gets recorded", even water. I like it because all I need to do is enter what I ate and it calculates the nutritional info for me. It also helps me see where I might be "wasting" my calories for the day. I try to stick to 1200 net calories per day (I also use it to track exercise) as I gain weight if I eat more than that. If you're trying to loose weight, it's very important to be vigilant about your portion sizes. I weigh and measure almost everything. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~