Trusted Contributor

Re: Any tips for reducing Sodium & Sugar intake?

AlleyCat: The first time I went to the grocery store after needing to be aware of these things I was exhausted after investing so much time reading labels. I thought I would never learn to re-adjust. Keeping the list of "good finds" helped and doing exactly what you plan, changing things as I went along - that is what worked best for me. It all seemed so overwhelming at the beginning, and also shocking to know so many of these things I was oblivious to all my life. Sounds like you have a good plan and I know it will all work out well for you sooner than you think. Hang in there!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Super Contributor

On 2/8/2015 esmeraldagooch said:

Even diet frozen foods like Atkins are high in sodium. Have you considered making your own food?

You are right. Atkins is high in sodium. Bit, I have found, that if one goes to a store like a natural, whole foods type, they tend to have frozen dinners that are lower in sodium.

So, with perseverance, one can find frozen dinners that are low in sodium.

Super Contributor

On 2/10/2015 Plaid Pants said:
On 2/8/2015 esmeraldagooch said:

Even diet frozen foods like Atkins are high in sodium. Have you considered making your own food?

You are right. Atkins is high in sodium. Bit, I have found, that if one goes to a store like a natural, whole foods type, they tend to have frozen dinners that are lower in sodium.

So, with perseverance, one can find frozen dinners that are low in sodium.

I didn't realize stores like that carried frozen meals. I will have to check that out. Would you say they are more costly than say Lean Cuisines or Smart Ones or about the same?

Trusted Contributor

AlleyCat: Hope all came out well for you yesterday - I was thinking of you.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

I try not to eat anything frozen or canned. I had to curb sodium due to blood pressure issues. Lunchmeat, pickles, frozen foods are the worst offenders. My blood pressure is under control. I use sea salt, but very little. I am not much of a sugar eater.

Respected Contributor

I'm late to this conversation and admit that I haven't read all the responses so much of this may be repetitive. But, I've been trying to do the same and I can relate to your challenge. I work in an office and for many years found lunches easiest when I would stock up on Lean Cuisines at the market and pop one into my lunch bag every day. I knew it was bad with respect to sodium and just being over-processed, but I was sold on the convenience. I hate to spend time planning and packing lunches!

It took some effort and planning, but I started buying pre-made vegetarian organic soups at Costco. They have some good ones, a vegetable minestrone and creamy tomato basil for example. I buy single-portion pre-packaged microwaveable Minute Rice long grain rice. I'll pour some soup into a lock-n-lock (or similar) and pop that and a minute rice in my lunch bag - it takes less than a minute. At lunch time I microwave the rice, dump it in the soup and heat it up some more and I have lunch. I also buy multi-grain bread at Costco, slice it up and wrap single portions and freeze and will pop one of those in my lunch bag to eat with the soup. Instead of the rice, I may precook some noodles to throw in the soup.

The key is to read labels - always. It's surprising how much sugar and sodium can sneak into supposedly "healthy" foods! It's like exercising a muscle - takes more effort at first but becomes easier the more you do it.

Super Contributor

I posted my lab results in a different thread but I am making little changes along the way that I hope will end up being a big change over time. Thank you all for your helpful suggestions.

Super Contributor

I forgot to add someone suggested taking my blood pressure at a different time of day. I tried that and my pulse rate was in fact lower. I am getting high 60s and low to mid 70s when taking pulse rate at the end of the day. I feel better about that now.

Super Contributor

On 2/18/2015 suzeecat said:

I'm late to this conversation and admit that I haven't read all the responses so much of this may be repetitive. But, I've been trying to do the same and I can relate to your challenge. I work in an office and for many years found lunches easiest when I would stock up on Lean Cuisines at the market and pop one into my lunch bag every day. I knew it was bad with respect to sodium and just being over-processed, but I was sold on the convenience. I hate to spend time planning and packing lunches!

It took some effort and planning, but I started buying pre-made vegetarian organic soups at Costco. They have some good ones, a vegetable minestrone and creamy tomato basil for example. I buy single-portion pre-packaged microwaveable Minute Rice long grain rice. I'll pour some soup into a lock-n-lock (or similar) and pop that and a minute rice in my lunch bag - it takes less than a minute. At lunch time I microwave the rice, dump it in the soup and heat it up some more and I have lunch. I also buy multi-grain bread at Costco, slice it up and wrap single portions and freeze and will pop one of those in my lunch bag to eat with the soup. Instead of the rice, I may precook some noodles to throw in the soup.

The key is to read labels - always. It's surprising how much sugar and sodium can sneak into supposedly "healthy" foods! It's like exercising a muscle - takes more effort at first but becomes easier the more you do it.

Bears repeating: read labels --- always.