Super Contributor

Re: Any tips for reducing Sodium & Sugar intake?

On 2/5/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

OP, if you think you'll need to taper off the processed frozen dinners, then at least buy the ones with lower sodium, definitely less than 800 mg per dinner. There are also lower sodium soups.

I would work on one thing at a time .... say work on lowering sugars one month, making a little progress and then the next month make some progress with reducing sodium levels .... trying to both at the same time could be a little frustrating, IMO. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

I think that is a very good idea and would probably help keep the frustration levels lower. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

When I was diagnosed with Diabetes I had to make serious changes which included no sugar and lower salt and no more simple carbs and to count the complex carbs. For someone who has undisciplined regarding her food her whole life, this seemed impossible. But the stakes were too high not to do it.

First thing I did was eliminate ALL sugars. I didn't have anything "white" (simple carbs turn into sugar), cut out even bananas, carrots, etc. and most processed foods. Complex carbs were limited to 30 grms a day. I did this for the first three months after being diagnosed and my AIC's went down from 12 to 6.3~! I also lost a lot of weight! Then, I slowly introduced back into my diet some fruits and continued to introduce back the carrots (but no bananas) and slowly set out to see what would work for me. I have continued to stay between 6.3 and 6.7 for about 6 - 7 years now. I've lost around 35lbs and things are good.... feel great!

I no longer crave any sugar or salt. Strawberries taste like candy to me...

Even without the Diabetes problem, you can still adjust your diet accordingly. It isn't hard, it's redefining habits and making changes that will do your body good. Lowering sugar and salt intake can only be good in the long run. The only way I felt I could do this was to pare down to the minimum fresh items and low fat protein I could have and then slowly introduce back into my diet some other items.

Also, be careful of artificial sweeteners (which seem to be in everything)..... I developed an ultra-sensitivity to them and have to avoid them completely.

Good luck to you~! Smile

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Congratulations on your great exercise routine! You have mastered what most people find to be the hardest part about a healthy lifestyle. Pat yourself on the back.

I agree with those who say you don't have to fix everything about your diet at once. You have some vegetables that you like so perhaps start by researching some easy recipes that feature them. You can try adding new veggies as you get the hang of it. It helps me to make a batch of things like soup or a stir fry on the weekend for quick reheating during the week.

Given your exercise discipline, I have no doubt you'll get the hang of a lower sugar and salt diet.

Respected Contributor

On 2/5/2015 AlleyCat said:
On 2/5/2015 Tinkrbl44 said:

OP, if you think you'll need to taper off the processed frozen dinners, then at least buy the ones with lower sodium, definitely less than 800 mg per dinner. There are also lower sodium soups.

I would work on one thing at a time .... say work on lowering sugars one month, making a little progress and then the next month make some progress with reducing sodium levels .... trying to both at the same time could be a little frustrating, IMO. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

I think that is a very good idea and would probably help keep the frustration levels lower. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I agree. I have been pretty good with salt. I rarely add any to my meals. I still eat processed stuff and frozen dinners but I balance it out. I don't buy frozen dinners if they are high in salt. I look for lower levels. Some days are worse than others but I am much better with controlling it. Sugar for me is another story. I am now trying to cut it down. I want to make sweets the exception and not the rule. However, doing it in stages is the only way I could do it. Good luck.
Honored Contributor

Why not try making soups at home, and bringing them to work in Lock and Locks?

That will reduce your sodium levels...and probably increase your veggie intake too.

I think 5 servings of fruit is too much.

Honored Contributor

Omelettes made with one whole egg and five or six whites, any green veggie/cauliflower, chicken/fish/lean pork, raw unsalted nuts and non-sugared nut butters, all kinds of berries/green apples, Truvia/SteviaErythritol as sweeteners. I do very low (almost no) dairy, no grain or grain foods, no added sugar, no added salt. Some foods, including egg whites contain sodium, but it doesn't seem to bother my blood pressure. Lost 85+ pounds, all bloodwork, BP and a1c are all now within normal ranges. I really don't miss the salt or sugar after eliminating them cold turkey.
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with Terrier. I love a good beef barley soup or a turkey soup. I also agree that you should focus on one thing at a time so you don't get overwhelmed. Why not learn to cook one soup and make one salad from scratch as a start. You can get several meals from these menu items.

Any nutritionist will tell you to stay away from processed, prepackaged food. Label reading is a must, especially for sugar and salt content.

You have a great exercise routine going. Finding one you love is half the battle. Good luck! LM

PS ... Great feedback here. Lots of good ideas!

Highlighted
Super Contributor

On 2/5/2015 lacey1 said:

Alley Cat, might I suggest doing some internet research. Processed, frozen meals, artificial sweeteners, preservatives, and fast food are poison. If you are not a big veggie eater-get a good blender and make smoothies. You can add spinach, kale, celery, pumpkin, etc. and disguise the taste with fruit/yogurt/spices/espresso/nut butter, cocoa, etc. You could start out swapping one meal a day with a smoothie. I put raw oatmeal in mine to add grains, too.

Even if you exercise, excess, daily consumption of sugar/salt can lead to hypertension and insulin-resistant diabetes, (depending on genetics). The other poster is correct-once you get used to the low salt/sugar-you'll enjoy it-and you'll even start to avoid things that are heavily salted or sweetened.

Good luck!

I totally agree ! My taste buds send me a warning about too much salt/sugar ...and, I also write everything down in my Food Journal to track any wt. gain due to these culprits !

Honored Contributor

Just eliminate processed foods. That cuts most of the junk sugar & sodium.

I eat whole foods & no sugar. I do use healthy salts like Himalayan Pink Salt because without all the junk & processed foods my electrolytes drop if I don't add some.

Respected Contributor

You've got to cut out the microwave meals. I think that's the simplest thing. Processed food is high in salt AND sugar. Learn to eat simple meals of fresh veg, a protein and healthy carbs. You're going to have to shop and prepare more at home from.fresh. Unless you can afford to hire a personal chef, you're going to need to learn. Go to a nutritionist and get tips.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero