Honored Contributor

Any suggestions for knee (cap) pain? UPDATE -- saw DR

[ Edited ]

Update:

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and more...

I saw Dr this morning took x-ray : said it was a very bad "sprain" but to be on safe side ordered MRI.

He did not give me cortisone shot at this time.  He gave me knee brace to stabilize, directions to ice & oral steroid until he gets results from MRI.

I have to say today it's not as painful but I'm not doing much -- although I should be as I have company coming this week.  Since my company are snowbirds I may call them & ask them to come next week.  (Of course, we planned a day trip to Busch Gardens but that's not a priority for me).

Thanks again everyone....have a wonderful day!

====================

I called the ortho dr I've used in the past.  Earliest appt is Monday but honestly, I can barely stand or put any weight on my left leg.

Last Friday, I was getting up from a chair -- these darn chairs have casters -- chair slid out but my leg stayed put -- twisted my knee & I heard a "pop" in my knee. Ouch!

The pain is on my kneecap area & if I bend my leg it's like a knife in the center of my kneecap.  I've been icing & "hobbling" the pain is excruciating😕

Any ideas what to do other than stay off it & continue to ice it until I can see dr.?

I do plan to call tomorrow I'm willing to drive 1.5 hours to their other  if I can get in sooner.  Of course, I'd call another ortho dr but I prefer to see this dr. as she knows my medical history (RA).

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: Any suggestions for knee (cap) pain?

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

I called the ortho dr I've used in the past.  Earliest appt is Monday but honestly, I can barely stand or put any weight on my left leg.

Last Friday, I was getting up from a chair -- these darn chairs have casters -- chair slid out but my leg stayed put -- twisted my knee & I heard a "pop" in my knee. Ouch!

The pain is on my kneecap area & if I bend my leg it's like a knife in the center of my kneecap.  I've been icing & "hobbling" the pain is excruciating😕

Any ideas what to do other than stay off it & continue to ice it until I can see dr.?

I do plan to call tomorrow I'm willing to drive 1.5 hours to their other  if I can get in sooner.  Of course, I'd call another ortho dr but I prefer to see this dr. as she knows my medical history (RA).

Thank you!

@homedecor1   Have you thought about going to an urgent care center or an ER visit where you can get immediate care instead of putting it off until you see a guy who is going to tell you, most likely, to continue what they told you at Urgent or ER care.  Ortho guys are for surgery.  The internists and family doctors treat the squeaking hinge, the urgent pain.

Valued Contributor

There are orthopedic urgent care centers where I live.  Are there any near you?  If so -- that's where I would go asap.  Wishing you the best.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 

RA here too, L O N G time.

My ortho, whom I love, is affiliated with a university that has a Sports med program.  Ortho told me that if I ever could not get to him quickly to go there. I went a few weeks ago, they really helped me, and had full access to my records.

Best wishes!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@judy0330 

@Nonametoday 

No never thought of urgent care for this -- I didn't know they did it all.  We have one I've used many times ...in fact, I now remember I had xrays done there.

thank you for the info -- if I can't get in I will definitely go there tomorrow!

Honored Contributor

Oh that doesn't sound good at all. You should go to urgent care or an ER ASAP.

When you hear a pop and experience swelling and pain, it usually means you have an injury that could be serious.

Many people who have a meniscus tear have the same symptoms that you have.  If there is an injury, you will probably be able to see your ortho doctor much sooner.  It is helpful  if you have an MRI before you see the ortho....she will probably order one anyway if you do not get one beforehand.

In the meantime, you can take Advil to help with inflammation if you can tolerate that drug.

Beat of luck to you.  I can relate to knee pain.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe 

thank you!  My urgent care is affiliated with the doctors I go to.

Geez I learn something new everyday here😁

Honored Contributor

Years ago, I slipped on ice.  I twisted my knee as I fell.  Within the hour, my knee swelled and was very painful.  I went to the primary Dr, who sent me to an orthopedic.  I was given a compression brace (don't know what it's called) for my knee.  I had best rest for a couple days, then wore the brace.  With it on, I couldn't bend my knee.  

Honored Contributor

ER!

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday 

Please get rid of the casters or the chairs themselves.  This will happen again to you or to someone else.  Maybe placing a large rug under the table and caster chairs would keep a fall from happening.

I was lucky when I slipped out of my home office chair to reach over to the small shredder.  The pain on the tailbone was not pleasant !

Hope any injury was of the minor type !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill