Esteemed Contributor

Any recommendations for hypothyroid supplements?

I currently take medication for low thyroid, but would like to try a natural supplement. Although I take several products from Andrew Lessman's line, I didn't see any that were specifically for thyroid function.

As with anything, there are a million different products. Do any of them really work? Hard to tell. I've learned that kelp and iodine are key -- neither of which are in my diet.

If anyone has any recommendations, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Any recommendations for hypothyroid supplements?

I've never heard of a natural supplement. I read a book about hypothyroidism a while back--don't remember the name of it or the author--and I don't believe she mentioned supplements. I take levoxyl. My doctor told me that if I ever stopped taking it my thyroid would be way out of whack very quickly.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I think you should talk to your Doctor first.

Respected Contributor

I take synthroid but I still have some symptoms of hypothyroid (ie. Low body temp, tiredness, etc). My doctor told me to take some supplements called Thyroid Support. I got some from Amazon made by 1 Body (he didn't recommend a specfic brand). Within a couple hours a after taking one, my body temp rose from 96 to 98 and I stopped feeling so tired. Chech with your doctor first.
Esteemed Contributor

Ask your pharmacist for a recommendation! They are an undervalued resource.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

Please don't take anything powerful enough to alter your thyroid function without talking to your doctor first. Will the supplement interact with the medicines you are taking? Will it multiply or diminish the thyroid medicine's effect?

Honored Contributor

Go back to your MD.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with those who say don't do anything without talking to your doctor. Your thyroid affects every function of your body. Don't play around with it.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Valued Contributor

The only "natural" thyroid supplement is pig-extracted thyroid. It is available by prescription only, as are all thyroid hormones. Natural hormone is prescribed only to patients who either cannot tolerate synthetic T4, or who's bodies cannot convert the synthetic T4 into T3 and TSH. It is a nasty, messy medication that must be taken frequently and stored in the refridgerator. Have a frank conversation with your internist or endocrinologist. Iodine, found in iodized salt, is the only medically known support for thyroid health. That's why salt is iodized. Too much can harm the thyroid as it absorbs iodine like a sponge. Radioactive isotopes are carried through iodine for thyroid scans and irradiation procedures. Again, speak with your doctor. This is a gland you do not want to mess with. Also, look for a copy of "The Thyroid Solution." It is the most ethically/medically informative laypersons resource. I read it when diagnosed with Graves (thyrotoxicosis/hyperthyroidism) in the 90s.
Respected Contributor

Your concerns are valid, you would be best served by a MD who is board certified by the ABIHM (American Board of Integrative Holistic Medicine)