Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any recommendations for hypothyroid supplements?

On 1/24/2015 CalmInTheHeart said:
On 1/24/2015 Snowpuppy said:

I've learned that any attempt at discussing a holistic approach to any medical issue isn't welcome here.

Sheesh. I think what we're saying is that ignoring a doctor's advice and just going off on your own to treat this very serious disease is not the smartest thing a person can do. As Ford said, it needs to be taken very seriously and the vast majority of people with it need medication

OK ladies, this is my final word and, believe me, I won't be bringing up THIS subject ever again on this board.

I'm on medication now and have been for many years. It's working and has been since my last lab work showed it was perfect.

I'm not going off it.

I don't skip taking it.

I'm not planning on ignoring my doctor's advice.

Or any of the other suggestions that were made.

Yes, I get it. I know it is a serious condition and that's why I sought my doctor's help to begin with.

I simply wanted to hear if anyone was doing anything other than taking medications with positive results.

That's all. That's it. Nothing more sinister or rogue than asking a question.

And yes, to the poster who asked, I DO exercise every day.

Respected Contributor

Witchy Woman, I am still taking my synthroid. The Thyroid Support is in addition and it's really making a difference for me. I think I may have an underlying iodine deficiency in addition to an underfunctioning thyroid. I was just happy to have a doctor suggest something instead of shrugging and saying that my numbers are good. My last doctor even said in response to my complaints about not being able to stay awake that sleep is a wonderful thing. No other 50+ year old I know sleeps in excess of 9 hours a day. I think thyroid disease is one of the most poorly understood issues. The doctors would rather treat the results of under active thyroid with other medications instead of correcting the root cause.
Super Contributor

There are many natural ways to go for thyroid. Nature-throid, Armour, WestThroid and a few others. All do need a dr's script.

Valued Contributor

Take a look at Pharmacist Suzy Cohen on the topic of hypothryroidism. She has a book and recommendations. You can also see her on youtube.

I don't have it but a girlfriend does.

Honored Contributor

I have been in care for thyroid issues for over 35 years. I take Armour Thyroid, but since I eat as little salt as possible, I am taking a multivitamin - mineral combo just now that contains a small amount of iodine, every other day. This has been advised by my internist, who works very closely with my endo. I would NEVER attempt to self treat my thyroid issues for many of the good reasons previously mentioned. My "pig extracted" supplement is neither nasty nor messy. I take mine once a day, in the morning, and do fine with it. ALSO, most Americans do consume a diet that contains iodine but because of my eating plan, I may not. Still, having recently lost almost 90 pounds, I figure I HAVE to be metabolizing energy somehow.!
Super Contributor

On 1/29/2015 Newnick ame said: I have been in care for thyroid issues for over 35 years. I take Armour Thyroid, but since I eat as little salt as possible, I am taking a multivitamin - mineral combo just now that contains a small amount of iodine, every other day. This has been advised by my internist, who works very closely with my endo. I would NEVER attempt to self treat my thyroid issues for many of the good reasons previously mentioned. My "pig extracted" supplement is neither nasty nor messy. I take mine once a day, in the morning, and do fine with it. ALSO, most Americans do consume a diet that contains iodine but because of my eating plan, I may not. Still, having recently lost almost 90 pounds, I figure I HAVE to be metabolizing energy somehow.!

Congratulations on your weight loss! That is quite an accomplishment. Smile

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion