Respected Contributor

Re: Any one use Paxil with sucess ?

I would never want anyone to post anything that makes them un comfortable talking about , if i had information to help or encourage someone in health i would try to do so . After many doctors appts , i am trying to make some wise choices in the meds i might take , whether it be blood pressure meds or anti depresants , Thanks to all that want to share , and also the ones that don't. If i don't like a post or doesn't interest me , i move on.

Respected Contributor

MW: I understand asking for information from others that have used Paxil however PLEASE take it for what it is - ONE persons experience and opinion. EVERYONE reacts differently to all drugs. I have been on Prozac and then Celexa with absolutley no side effetcs and I lost weight- not GAINED. That was simply my experience.

Is your internist perscribing these medictaions? If so, I would suggest see a Psychiatrist as they are MD's with years of experience in medications for all types of mental health issues.

Please do not take the comments on this board as the definitive answer.

Honored Contributor

@MW in Iowa wrote:

I would never want anyone to post anything that makes them un comfortable talking about , if i had information to help or encourage someone in health i would try to do so . After many doctors appts , i am trying to make some wise choices in the meds i might take , whether it be blood pressure meds or anti depresants , Thanks to all that want to share , and also the ones that don't. If i don't like a post or doesn't interest me , i move on.

I have known some very close friends that were complaining about the awful withdrawal symptoms they suffered after going off Paxil. Something they described as "brain zaps." Painful shock like pains in the brain. 

There are many lawsuits for Paxil and if you research apparently weight gain can also be a side effect. There are newer meds with fewer side effects @MW in Iowa .

Good luck with feeling better. Sometimes coming here can be very helpful in reading about others experience with a medication.

Honored Contributor

I took paxil for a while after we lost our younger son in a wreck at 19.  It dropped me and quit working.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I took paxil for a while after we lost our younger son in a wreck at 19.  It dropped me and quit working.

@ECBG , you have suffered a loss that is like no other. I am so sorry. I hope your memories of your dear son have brought you some comfort over the years...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MW in Iowa wrote:

I am on clonazepam short term and my doctor prescribed Paxil , my goal is to take nothing , but i just wondered if anyone had any feelings on this drug.Side effects ect. I know almost all drugs have some side effects for some people. Just would like to hear some opinions.

@MW in Iowa @Yes, it helps me greatly but be forewarned that some, including me, have had a horrible, horrible time when discontinuing. The discontinuation syndrome should be discussed with your doctor. Paxil works for major depressive disorder and anxiety disorders at the same time. If you are going to be treated for depression, it can take trial and error to get your medications right. Paxil can have some temporary, undesirable side effects as your body adjusts to it. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks again , i always know everyones experience will be different , but still like hearing them , I am 63 and i do not do  well on medications period. 15 years ago i had a horrible time sleeping and i took ambien just for 3-5 days , didn't even open my renewal , took melatonin to get me through and then quit that. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG , you have suffered a loss that is like no other. I am so sorry. I hope your memories of your dear son have brought you some comfort over the years...

@Trinity11 

Thank you for your kindness.  I had an "awareness at age 10 that I would lose my mother (whom I was never close to) at 16 (I lost her on my 16th birthday, but she didn't have custody of my sister or I.), and that I wouldn't live beyond 20, which I lived with through the years.  Things began to happen and I realized how extremely intuitive I am and have carried that knowledge with me.

He was only 6 weeks from his 21st birthday.  When we got the call only knowing to go to the hospital, I felt a total calmness.  When saying goodbye for the last time after the unsuccessful surgery, there was an arm around me which I truly believe was our Father.  

My seniors got out of school (which may have thrown them into exams), and my sister, an RN, stayed with me the entire time and watched me closely.

I found a wonderful counselor who helped me to breathe again.

Again, thank you.

Respected Contributor

I took Paxil for about 5 years and it worked well for me ...... it was hard to sleep at first but after it settled in my sleep improved.  I also gained a lot of weight on it ... my 
Dr. said that usually happened with this particular med but I do know others who have taken it and haven't had this problem.    My conclusion is:  you never know how any med will affect you, we are all different and very likely to have very different outcomes. In the end, it's just trial and error.

Respected Contributor

It is the error part that scares me , 100 people can all have different reations , thanks for the input , it is still sitting in the un opened bottle , If i had to take something , i think Zoloft sounds like less withdrawl problems.