Respected Contributor

Any one use Paxil with sucess ?

I am on clonazepam short term and my doctor prescribed Paxil , my goal is to take nothing , but i just wondered if anyone had any feelings on this drug.Side effects ect. I know almost all drugs have some side effects for some people. Just would like to hear some opinions.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Any one use Paxil with sucess ?

Paxil worked very well for me when  I took it for depression 25 years ago.  I also gained 25 lbs which I certainly did not need.  I had a friend that gained 100 lbs while on Paxil.  

Unless you need to gain weight, ask your doctor for an Rx that does not cause weight gain.  Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@MW in Iowa  My husband took Paxil for panic attacks. He was a Vietnam war veteran with 2 years there. 
  He seemed much better on it. 
   He took a drink on a flight just after 911 and was very grumpy when I met him at the airport. I could smell he had used the free coupon! I asked him if he had a drink and he said he did. I told him that alcohol lessens the benefits of the Paxil. 
   He never had another drink. 

Valued Contributor

Paxil is an SSRI, and this class of drugs has many problems, some of them serious. The FDA just recently required drug companies to label these drugs as highly addictive, along with their BLACK BOX warning. Apart from the weight gain often associated with them is one greatly overlooked factor: withdrawal can have some horrendous side effects, both physical and mental, and they can be long lasting, sometimes permanent. If you research the withdrawal issue on the web, you will see many forums and sites devoted to helping people recover. And then there is the issue of the efficacy of SSRI's. Scientists don't really know the mechanism by which they work (they think it involves an imbalance of neurotransmitters, but they are not sure). Have you considered going to see a naturopath? There are many supplements, vitamins, minerals and herbals that have quite a track record in treating anxiety, depression, etc. You need to be careful with supplements, too, because they can interact with other medications. Please do serious research before you ingest anything that can impact your health in a negative way.

Respected Contributor

I was prescribed low dose Paxil for hot flashes and night sweats (it’s been shown to relieve that).  Even though I didn’t take it for anxiety, I stopped after a few days because it caused horrible anxiety for me.  Maybe if I had taken it longer that would have gone away but I’d rather live with the hot flashes. 

Honored Contributor

Paxil has been around a long time.  I knew someone who took it for anxiety for a few years.  She said it worked wonders.  No side effects...no weight gain.  

Respected Contributor

Furbaby , all great points , i am waiting the results from my neuro appt last week He did some intensive tests , i really have the symptons of untreated Lyme disease , but the first test came back  neg. I told him and he ran another one anyway . I have asked a lot of questions on this forum this last month , because i like to hear other people's experiences , which i know can vary. About the weight gain , i am very slender and could stand to gain some weight , but i don't want to do it that way. I really have to get my blood pressure under control also. I had no health problems 6 weks ago , now i am a mess.Thanks for all of the input , drugs can be a life saver , but they can also cause a lot of physical and mental problems. I am reading The End of Mental Illness right , lot's of good information out there to compliment modern medicine.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I currently take Celexa. I've taken most others. Started with Prozac then Paxil. I started gaining a lot of weight immediately. Still have most if it. I can't lose it but I can't function without my meds so I accept it.

Honored Contributor

@MW in Iowa wrote:

"i just wondered if anyone had any feelings on this drug."

@MW in Iowa 

Yes, I have feelings on this drug. Both of us know, if I reply to this exactly what those feelings might be, what I type(say) just might be removed. 

I have and have had many serious physical health issues along with mental health issues. As far as how any of my psych meds have, or had, effects me?  It has absolutely nothing to do with how they may effect someone else.

I can, and quite often do, share my many experiences, both physical and mental, on this forum. However, I do not discuss how any of my prescribed psychological medications effect me, in relation to speculating how they may effect others.

If ones own personal doctor is not sure, and changes a psychological medication, why anyone would want, or need to know, my personal experiences with those same medications? Beats the he!! out of me.

In the past I have never speculated, or said to anyone on this forum, how any of my psych meds effected me. Precisely because it has zero relevance to how they may effect any single person on this Wellness Forum.

Prescribed meds are best left up to the patient and their prescribing doctor(s).

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Both my brother and sister took Paxil and it was the start of the downfall of their health and I don't mean their mental health.