Respected Contributor

And their health has improved greatly after using a cpap machine , i hear they are really hard to get used to. I would like to hear if it made you feel a lot better during the day breathing ect. Pretty scary how many times a night people quit breathing. Thanks in advance for your stories.

Honored Contributor

Re: Any one have sleep apnea ?

[ Edited ]

@MW in Iowa ,

I'm afraid I am not a success story with these.

I got that long spend the night in a lab test because I am always tired during the day.

The test showed just mild to very little sleep apnea. 

Sometimes I think they are determined to diagnose everyone with this! I mean some really need it whenever they sleep or cannot sleep without it.But some maybe don't need it so much.

I tried about 4 different masks

including the nose clip thing and I just couldn't do it. I am not claustrophobic at all but I guess I can't stand things on my face and head-awful.

My daughter has one for asthma and it doesn't help or change her breathing or health during the day only help her keep breathing when she is asleep. I never heard that they improve breathing when you are awake during the day, just that they help you get a good nights sleep and not be so tired during the day.

But it doesn't help her be less tired during the day either.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@MW in Iowa ,

I'm afraid I am not a success story with these.

I got that long spend the night in a lab test because I am always tired during the day.

The test showed just mild to very little sleep apnea. 

Sometimes I think they are determined to diagnose everyone with this! I mean some really need it whenever they sleep or cannot sleep without it.

I tried about 4 different masks

including the nose clip thing and I just couldn't do it. I am not claustrophobic at all but I guess I can't stand things on my face and head-awful.

My daughter has one for asthma and it doesn't help or change her breathing during the day only help her keep breathing when she is asleep. I never heard that they improve breathing when you are awake during the day, just that they help you get a good nights sleep and not be so tired during the day.

Thanks , i read 1 in 5 quit using them in 5 years. But i guess how bad your sleep apnea is , if you can make your self continue to using them. I think many people have headaches and can't stay awake during the day , that would be an incentive for sure.

Trusted Contributor

@MW in Iowa Before my hip replacement surgery 4 years ago the surgeon said I must go in for a sleep study to see if I needed a cpap machine as I had gained considerable weight.  The sleep study was not pleasant but showed I did indeed have sleep apnea but also showed my feet/legs kicked/moved alot.  My iron was really low so keeping up w/infusions every so often has helped with the feet/leg movements and the cpap machine use has been an adventure but all in all I do get a better night sleep.  I am lucky and found my issues w/the masks/hoses/speed was helped by the sleep technician who was so helpful when I just wanted to throw the darn thing across the room ... she hated seeing my emails about problems I was having I'm sure but was patient w/me in coming up w/what works best for me.  It was/is an adventure but 4 years later I'm still using it and as I said above I do get a better night sleep & my day time is alot more present.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MW in Iowa wrote:

And their health has improved greatly after using a cpap machine , i hear they are really hard to get used to. I would like to hear if it made you feel a lot better during the day breathing ect. Pretty scary how many times a night people quit breathing. Thanks in advance for your stories.

@MW in Iowa 

I have had 6 Sleep Studies, not specifically for Sleep Apnea, but oxygen Saturation levels. However 3 said I had Sleep Apnea and 3 said I did not.

I wore a CPAP for maybe 6 weeks, until my next Sleep Study showed no Sleep Apnea. Never got used to it, and never wore one after that. Sleep Apnea was not the source of my problem.

For my issue, caused by several bouts of Pneumonia, the worst being Aspiration Pneumonia, my doctor changed from the CPAP. It did nothing for my Vo2 numbers, which were the problem. My problem took close to 2 years to resolve, and yes, and my fitness in daily life changed immensely from those years until now.

What does the Doctor say that prescribed your Sleep Study? If he/she thinks you are in danger, I would expect an answer from that source. 

E.T.A. For some people a CPAP could be a life/death issue. As for what it does for someone the next day? I would suspect if they slept better they might feel more rested. However, if inactive people, expect it to change their fitness level? That ain't happening.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@colleena wrote:

@MW in Iowa Before my hip replacement surgery 4 years ago the surgeon said I must go in for a sleep study to see if I needed a cpap machine as I had gained considerable weight.  The sleep study was not pleasant but showed I did indeed have sleep apnea but also showed my feet/legs kicked/moved alot.  My iron was really low so keeping up w/infusions every so often has helped with the feet/leg movements and the cpap machine use has been an adventure but all in all I do get a better night sleep.  I am lucky and found my issues w/the masks/hoses/speed was helped by the sleep technician who was so helpful when I just wanted to throw the darn thing across the room ... she hated seeing my emails about problems I was having I'm sure but was patient w/me in coming up w/what works best for me.  It was/is an adventure but 4 years later I'm still using it and as I said above I do get a better night sleep & my day time is alot more present.

Thanks i will think of your experience if i don't suceed with the first experience. Like i have fond the hard way with medicine , keep searching until one agrees with your body.

Esteemed Contributor

@MW in Iowa   My husband had a cpap, and now my son does also.  They both would stop breathing many times per night and be very tired the next day. 
  My son said it took awhile to adjust to his but he can't sleep without it. 

Respected Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@MW in Iowa   My husband had a cpap, and now my son does also.  They both would stop breathing many times per night and be very tired the next day. 
  My son said it took awhile to adjust to his but he can't sleep without it. 

Thanks , isn't weird how humans develop these problems , i always stereo typed with being over weight , but with research shows that is not always the case , with being different types of sleep apnea.

Honored Contributor

DH and dad use CPAP machines. DH likes his so much he uses it for naps too. I just love that it stops snoring! OMGosh the childhood trips with my dad snoring to beat the band in the hotel room...

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I was never officially diagnosed but I’m sure I had it when I as overweight. I’d snore, startle myself awake from snorting.  My throat would get dry and I’d feel like I was choking as I’d try to swallow.  I never slept through the night, was tired during the day, and always needed an afternoon nap.  BP was bad too. I’m learning all the time how excess pounds and a poor, low fat, high carb diet contributes to so many health issues.  Besides my significant weight loss, the keto lifestyle has been a blessing in improved health.  I sleep so much better now, feel rested, and have much more energy, flexibility, and stamina.  Oh, my A1C is back to normal and BP is good too.