Respected Contributor

Any one have or had Lyme disease ?

Tell me about your experiences and symptons ,  from the beginning to the more severe symptons.

Respected Contributor

Re: Any one have or had Lyme disease ?

Went to the doctor after having a rash itch me for a week. He looked at it, told me I had Lyme disease and gave me these huge pills to take. Do not remember for how long I had to take the pills. Other than the itching nothing ever bothered me. 

Respected Contributor

Sounds you were lucky to catch it so early , your doctor was on his game . Did he have you take a blood test ? I read you need to take anti biotics for a month .

Contributor

I was initially diagnosed with CFIDS & fibromyalgia which I still have. That was the late 80's early 90's. Then was also diagnosed with chronic Lyme disease after extensive tests. I never had the classic bulls eye rash, but the lethargy & aches all over can be quite debilitating. I was on many antibiotics then on IV antibiotics. If the illness is caught in the beginning the meds might help. In my case it was not caught in the early stage. I still have extreme fatigue, migraine headaches & some days are terrible. After many years you do figure how to cope, I get out & do socialize ( with Covid it's a little different). I wish you you much luck. I could go on but I think you get the idea.

Super Contributor

I don't believe much is even known about the effects of Lyme.  My husband has had it 3 different times.  The first time, he was treated with doxycycline and he was ok afterwards.  The second time he needed two treatments of doxycycline and the doctor told him his bloodwork readings for Lyme were extremely high.  Then then third time, before Lyme test was given, it was thought he had a mild stroke.  We went to a neurologist who ordered an MRI but it came back negative.  Another Lyme test was given and he was positive again.  At no time did he ever have a bullseye.  This was all in about 4 years time.  The symptoms  the last time was no strength in right arm - could not push back against Dr., he couldn't walk a straight line, extreme fatigue.  These are some of his symptoms, scary stuff.  He is now dealing with a blood disease and I question if it could be related.  I voiced it to his hematologist and was told no, but I am not convinced.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MW in Iowa  I go to a dermatologist that seems to know his "stuff." I guess I caught it fast enough, although if I remember correctly I waited a week. At first I thought the itching was from my clothes. You never know! I did not take a blood test as he said it was the classic rash for Lyme. As a matter of fact he also teaches so he took pictures of the rash.

Honored Contributor

If you're lucky and you catch it early it is usually mild and you need only take a short course of antibiotics.

My DH wasn't so lucky.  The first time he got it more than 10 years ago his symptoms were a swollen leg and stiff joints.  He had to work from home for a month and took antibiotics.  He felt much better after several weeks.

The second time he had what started as a lot of vague symptoms but really started getting very sick after some time.  We went to a lot of different doctors who really couldn't seem to help much.  He took antibiotics but they didn't help.  Instead his symptoms got worse. He felt really weak & sick all the time.

I finally found a good doctor who was familiar with Lyme and worked with patients who had it.  He was given IV antibiotics and after many months he started to feel better concerning the Lyme.  However we believe that the chronic Lyme triggered a rare autoimmune illness that the didn't have before.  After 8 years he's still living with this autoimmune illness and every day is a battle.

My suggestion is to attack the Lyme before it becomes chronic and leads to other complications.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for your stories , i just got back from getting the blood test , it takes a few days for this one . Actually i read blood pressure can be a problem if untreated.

Honored Contributor

@MW in Iowa wrote:

Thanks for your stories , i just got back from getting the blood test , it takes a few days for this one . Actually i read blood pressure can be a problem if untreated.

@MW in Iowa   Good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know there can be problems with insurance companies not paying for LD testing and/or treatment. But I'm not sure what all is involved with that. It would be wise to check with your insurance company and see what they cover. So even if they pay for the test, if that comes back positive then most likely the insurance won't cover treatment. LD can mimic so many different diseases which makes it difficult for insurance companies to make decisions as to what to cover so they usually don't.