Respected Contributor

Any one have Asthma been vaccinated ?

I was just wondering if anyone has had a problem , my state will be opening for all to be vaccinated  April 5, i was really wanted to hold off till fall to get thru the flu season  but i am worried about any side affects , i am having health issues with my breathing , my health issues are recent  , last 4 months , and t kind of wanted to get this more under control first , but of  course i don't want covid. any problems for any one with breathing problems ?

Honored Contributor

Re: Any one have Asthma been vaccinated ?

I have had my first vaccine (was only able to get it because I have asthma). No issues whatsoever. 

Trusted Contributor

I know you want reassurance, but everyone is different so please discuss this with your doctor who will guide you.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is my understanding asthma patients are encouraged by their doctors to be vaccinated ASAP. 

Respected Contributor

I agree , but doctors know very little at this point , all they know is how to prescribe medication. No offense to them , but i would rather hear from actual patients.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MW in Iowa wrote:

I agree , but doctors know very little at this point , all they know is how to prescribe medication. No offense to them , but i would rather hear from actual patients.

I know of someone in her 60;s who had vaccine, no issues and it was highly recommended by her pulmonologist. 

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

It is my understanding asthma patients are encouraged to be vaccinated ASAP. 

I understand with breathing problems getting covid could be even problematic , i don't have to decide now , because even with the April 5 , it all depends on availabity of vaccine , just wanted to hear from real people and their experiences.

Honored Contributor

@MW in Iowa,

My teacher daughter and husband have asthma and COPD; both have received their 2 doses of Moderna vaccine without any major breathing related issues.   

I was very concerned about both, as teacher daughter takes allergy shots weekly, and often has a strong site reaction.  She carries an epi-pen at all times, and was watched very closely after receiving both shots, but did fine.   

My husbands COPD is progressing, plus spring pollen has worsened his breathing issues over the last few weeks.   The shots did not affect his breathing.   

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@MW in Iowa,

My teacher daughter and husband have asthma and COPD; both have received their 2 doses of Moderna vaccine without any major breathing related issues.   

I was very concerned about both, as teacher daughter takes allergy shots weekly, and often has a strong site reaction.  She carries an epi-pen at all times, and was watched very closely after receiving both shots, but did fine.   

My husbands COPD is progressing, plus spring pollen has worsened his breathing issues over the last few weeks.   The shots did not affect his breathing.   

I know everybody is different , thanks , i am so sensitive to medications , i had never taken anything till 6 months ago. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Two different family members with lung issues have gotten their shots and had no side effects related to their breathing. One did get an itchy arm that went away after a couple days. She didn't mind it much.

Edited to add: The itch went away not her arm! lol Phrasing!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr