Honored Contributor

Any books you can suggest for wellness connection between mind and body for seniors?

I am looking for books which can give me some guidance and some help to invigorate my mind and body.  I don't know if this is considered self help or what.  I will shortly be 70 and I am struggling somewhat with feeling a lack of vitality in both my mind and body.  I know it's natural to start having a decline in energy, etc, as we age, but I feel like I need somewhat of a new outlook or renewal of how I am looking at things or approaching things.  Does anyone have any ideas for books?  I know I may not be clear on what I am wanting, because I am not exactly clear on what I am wanting or needing myself!  I know that having a healthy mind and body together in balance is essential. If one is out of balance, it profoundly affects the other.  I am a very spirtual person as well and my faith is very important to me.  If anyone has read any books or can make any recommendations that were helpful to you, and they feel would be helpful to me, I would really appreciate it!  Thanks!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Any books you can suggest for wellness connection between mind and body for seniors?

I am your age and have been thinking the same things. I don't have any book recommendations but found a few things that have really helped me.

I help at my church as needed and spend time helping at a charity. Nothing invigorates more than reaching out to help someone in need.

I read books.

I walk my dog twice a day.

Exercise.

I love working in my yard, especially mowing.  It takes a little longer than it used to but it's great for my mind and soul. My mind lets go of all thoughts except to enjoy the open air and watch my dog play. 

I keep in touch with friends and get together often. 

I joined a prayer group with friends and we meet every week. A chunk of our time is just talking and laughing.

I take care of my 90 yr old dad. He still lives at home but needs help with certain things. I also drive him to all his appts and other outings.

Valued Contributor

Re: Any books you can suggest for wellness connection between mind and body for seniors?

I don't know what you eat, but maybe a diet tune-up would be of help. I changed my diet to whole food plant based 4 years ago & it has brought back much of my health & vitality. Not only for my body but my mind. After being on it for only a week or so, I felt a sense of wellness in all areas of my life. My brain fog was lifted. I just felt more healthy & exergetic. Yes,there was a learning curve I had to work through, but restructuring how I ate was also exciting. Yes, it was work until it became second nature, but it was also a new adventure. I'm so glad I changed my life 4 years ago & I will never go back. Some books that may be of help in getting started are: Dr McDougall's Starch Based Solution, The Healtiest Diet on the Planet, & The McDougall Quick & Easy Cookbook. There are also lots of books by other plant based doctors. When I first started, I read so many of them, (Dr Colin Campbell, Dr Dean Ornish, Dr Michael Grieger, Dr Fuhrman, etc.) I also recommend going on Youtube and checking out the channels Well Your World & Chew on Vegan. They're cooking channels that focus on delicious, yet easy to put together meals. Mastering Diabetes is another excellent channel for people who are dealing with diabetes. 

For exercise, I recommend Reps to the Rythmn on youtube. The music is energetic & fun, yet totally doable for seniors. The young man who runs that channel has such a beautiful smile & sweet way about him. He also often has his mother exercising with us too. A bonus: he's a cat lover & you get to see his cute cats walking around while you exercise with he & his mother.

Valued Contributor

No judgement from me on this but I do have some book recommendations below and it might seem like difficult stuff to read. No human is perfect, don't assume I eat a perfect diet. First of all, go to your doctor and get a bunch of blood tests. Make sure you aren't low thyroid or having kidney issues or heart issues. If you feel you might have depression, there are some good depression scales or tests online. Try to do one and see. 

Like another person said, change your diet. Get off the carbs and sugar and processed foods. No fake sugar either. 

Here are some books that I have: 

"Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. (excellent, and he has an additional cookbook)

"Foundations for Healing" by Richard L. Becker, D.O. (He has a diet plan in the book, my sister gave me this book and I have found it somewhat helpful.)

Go on Chrisiane Northrup, MD's website drnorthrup.com. Pick any book that resonates with your situation. She's going to tell you about mind body connection relating to women's bodies and time of life. I just saw she has a book about dealing with energy vampires and I am going to order that one as May has been abundant with them. 

Best wishes to you. I admire you for being vulnerable on here and wanting to change something to feel better. 

Valued Contributor

Growing, Dr Fuhrman's book is excellent. It was one of the first ones I read when I started my plant based journey.  Some people find it difficult to be as perfect as he wants them to be, though. They have a hard time fitting in their G-BOMBS in every day. I like to cook, & I have the time to cook, so it isn't a problem for me to follow his diet. (However, for busy people, you can get by with frozen diced onions, mushrooms, & veggies) For some people it's easier to start out by having their plate 1/2 vegetables & 1/2 half healthy unprocessed starch such as beans, sweet potato, brown rice,etc., topped with a fat free dressing or sauce. There are so many healthy dressing & sauce recipies out there.

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart 

I appreciate your reply!  You are very inspirational in all that you do!

I read, try to take walks as much as possible, watch t.v., and do household chores.  

I haven't been able to do a whole lot lately as I got covid and was really sick and am just now recovering from it.

Our weather has not been great either -- tons of rain, wind and temps going up and down.  I usually do a good bit of yard work, too.  It takes me much longer and I can't work outside when it's very hot as I can't handle the heat.

I keep in touch with some friends through e-mails, text, cards, and some phone calls, but do not do in person visits. 

Since the virus hit, I am afraid to be around people much at all.  I have some health issues, as does my husband.  And since we both got covid, I am even more fearful to be aorund people I admit.  I know we can't live our lives in fear, but this has been really hard.  

My faith is what has kept me going.

I admire you for all that you do!  

Honored Contributor

@Sweet Kitties 

Thank you for your reply!  I do admit that I need to address some of my eating habits.  I struggle with this and am having a very hard time.  On one hand, I eat very healthy things -- lots of fruits and vegetables.  Then on the other, I am prone to eating sweets, etc.  

I have been very unwell lately, just getting over covid, in addition to my other regular health issues.  

Being unablel to go out and do the things that I used to do has been very hard.  Rather isolating.  

I appreciate your suggestions.  I don't eat a lot of meat but do eat some.  I will look into your suggetions and the channel you suggested.  

I am appreciative of your post.  Thank you! 

Honored Contributor

@Growing 

Thank you for your reply!

I know that it's hard to suggest things for other people as we are all so different and what works for one, doesn't necessarily work for another.

I know my diet is not perfect either, and I really struggle with this.  I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables daily.  But then I am prone to eating sweets, too.  I am so aware of this but keep failing.  

I have been very ill lately with covid and am starting to feel better, but this has been hard and draining, in addition to dealing with my regular health issues.

I was just recently to my doctor and they did a lot of blood work looking at the things that you mentioned and supposedly these things were o.k.  I do have anxiety issues which I have had the majority of my life. 

I appreciate very much your suggestions for the books and I will look into them to see if I think any of them will be helpful to me.

Thank you! 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@CalminHeart 

I appreciate your reply!  You are very inspirational in all that you do!

I read, try to take walks as much as possible, watch t.v., and do household chores.  

I haven't been able to do a whole lot lately as I got covid and was really sick and am just now recovering from it.

Our weather has not been great either -- tons of rain, wind and temps going up and down.  I usually do a good bit of yard work, too.  It takes me much longer and I can't work outside when it's very hot as I can't handle the heat.

I keep in touch with some friends through e-mails, text, cards, and some phone calls, but do not do in person visits. 

Since the virus hit, I am afraid to be around people much at all.  I have some health issues, as does my husband.  And since we both got covid, I am even more fearful to be aorund people I admit.  I know we can't live our lives in fear, but this has been really hard.  

My faith is what has kept me going.

I admire you for all that you do!  

I'm so glad you're getting over covid. I agree with all you said. I very rarely go grocery shopping or to a public place. Only 60% of my state is vaccinated so no matter where I go, a LOT of people don't care about their impact on others. That means I could accidentally carry covid to my Dad. 

I still wear a mask at church and if I go anywhere in public. I also have a health issue and doubt I'd survive covid if I got it.  The friends I do see are all fully vaccinated. I intentionally avoid places where the unvaccinated might gather. 

Our weather has been awful too. It was 92 degrees 2 days ago, yesterday's high was 48, and the temperature right now is 38. Crazy! I'm ready for sun and normal spring/summer temps. We have had record rain and hail.  

I've read a number of books about politics and economics and need a fun, easy book to read now. I plan to search online for something of interest. I love auto&biographies so might go that route. 

I forgot to mention that I was one of the original 12 who started a political group in my state. We now have nearly 500 members, including many politicians. We're all active in various ways, from a little (me) to a lot and keep in touch through facebook and email. We haven't met since before covid and are thinking of trying to find a private place to meet again. Those who attend must be fully vaccinated of course. 

As far as reading, find anything you like. That itself can be uplifting. 

Take care.

Esteemed Contributor

Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & More by

Pamela Whartian Smith:

Subtitle: Choosing the nutrients that are right for you.

Smith is a Christian. Her insight & expertise can be inspiring!