Esteemed Contributor

Any Recs for Omega 3's Without Flaxseed/ALA?

I'm on the hunt for a new Omega 3. I've taken Lessman's for ages but he adds flaxseed oils to the DHA/EPA blend. Could be that flaxseed is cheaper.

I tried some pure flaxseed oil recently and wowza, did it give me nasty estrogenic side effects! Like PMS.

I did some research and yes flaxseed oil can head for estrogen pathways as well as ALA. Neither of which I need.

Any rec's on a tried & true Omega 3 with only EPA/DHA? I can't take krill oil, either.

Honored Contributor

Re: Any Recs for Omega 3's Without Flaxseed/ALA?

Vitacost Omega-3 Super DHA 500

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd highly recommend getting chia seeds. They don't need to be ground like flax (although you can grind them up if you want) and they don't have a flavor to them so they can be added to anything without changing the taste, like yogurt, applesauce, ice cream, salads, spaghetti sauce, chili, smoothies, etc. All you need is 1-2 TBS a day. Much more natural and more readily available to the body then a supplement. I buy a big bag of organic at Costco.  There is no estorgen or phytoestrogen component to chia seeds like there is with flax. But of course, definitely ask your doctor. Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the recs!

I'm going to have to do some reading. I can't understand the numbers on many Omega's including Lessman's.

If a product says 2000 mg Omega 3 but you read the label it has 1200 DHA and 500 EPA. What is the rest comprised of?

I've stayed away from those labels that say "other oils".

Honored Contributor

AL is the supplement guru to me, I think he gives people the best that's out there for the money. I think he truly gives us the best of his knowledge and the best supplements he can make.

Esteemed Contributor

I think Andrew continues to make really great products.

I was at my local health food store and I picked up a bottle of flaxseed oil to try instead of Andrew's Omega 3's. I stopped after 3 days because I was getting PMS like symptoms. Stopped the flaxseed oil and symptoms were gone in a couple of days.

Did some reading and in some people flaxseed oil can bring on estrogen like side effects. So flaxseed oil in any amount is something I'd like to stay away from.

Honored Contributor

I take a flaxseed oil softgel everyday, 1200 mg, no side effects for me, I am long time in meno, so a little bit of an estrogen effect would be a positive thing for me.